Post Limit

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Mushmellow

Post Limit

Post by Mushmellow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:24 am

Is there a limit on posting for phpbb? If so, how many words and/or characters can a post have?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Post Limit

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:48 am

I think it is in the millions. I doubt seriously if you could hit the limit.

why do you ask?

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Mushmellow

Post by Mushmellow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:22 am

In my previous support post I mention this error:
Information

No route found for "GET /posting.php"
Anyways, KevC asked if I was posting alot of text but it appeared I got it because of a word. This time I get it but it has nothing to do with a specific word because I post half and half of the text in 2 separate posts and it works. If I try to post in a single post I get that error.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:54 am

Mushmellow wrote:Is there a limit on posting for phpbb? If so, how many words and/or characters can a post have?
Somewhere between 5,592,415 and 16,777,215 bytes depending on your encoding.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:37 am

I was only asking about the amount of text because I was guessing it might be one word out of many, rather than being triggered by just posting a video clip or something like that.

The error still suggests your hosts mod_security is being tripped. See if anything is in the site error logs.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Mushmellow

Post by Mushmellow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:53 pm

KevC wrote:I was only asking about the amount of text because I was guessing it might be one word out of many, rather than being triggered by just posting a video clip or something like that.

The error still suggests your hosts mod_security is being tripped. See if anything is in the site error logs.
No log entries.
Nothing in my error log. I'll message my host provider see if it has something to do with their end.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:58 pm

Mushmellow wrote:
Anyways, KevC asked if I was posting alot of text but it appeared I got it because of a word. This time I get it but it has nothing to do with a specific word because I post half and half of the text in 2 separate posts and it works. If I try to post in a single post I get that error.
Which could merely mean that there is the same or different words in each half which are tripping mod_security.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Mushmellow

Post by Mushmellow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:17 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Mushmellow wrote:
Which could merely mean that there is the same or different words in each half which are tripping mod_security.
I really don't see anything wrong with this:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2366936

I tested it out here and it worked. It won't work on my forum though. Hope you can see that link.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:22 pm

You won't see anything wrong. The words that trigger it are arbitrary. For example, it could be "hobos" (offensive to differently housed persons who are income impaired).

Or "Extremists" (micro-aggressive word that violates safe space).

Or "cops"

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Mushmellow

Post by Mushmellow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:27 pm

stevemaury wrote:You won't see anything wrong. The words that trigger it are arbitrary. For example, it could be "hobos" (offensive to differently housed persons who are income impaired).
Ok so nothing wrong there it just seems strange because if I try to post it in a single post I get that error but if I break up the post into 3 parts it works.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:29 pm

That implies that it is a combination of words triggering it. Ask your host for its mod_security word list.

Mushmellow

Post by Mushmellow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:31 pm

stevemaury wrote:That implies that it is a combination of words triggering it. Ask your host for its mod_security word list.
Ok thanks alot for the help :D I'll message them.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:32 pm

Or try breaking it up differently.

For instance, you have some parts that are just bold letters in a list and other parts are just links.

What happens if you do one or the other parts.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Mushmellow

Post by Mushmellow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:43 pm

KevC wrote:Or try breaking it up differently.

For instance, you have some parts that are just bold letters in a list and other parts are just links.

What happens if you do one or the other parts.
I'm editing my post to look a bit differently. I'm going to play around with the post meanwhile I wait for the reply of my host.

I wanted to make an alphabetical list which the bolds where the letters and the list where the links.

LadyAnna
Name: Anna Broman

Post by LadyAnna » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:41 pm

This is something that could be the answer to why you hit the mod_security with all in one post but they go through with being separated:

Number of links - I know this is limited on a free host I frequent the support forums for (I had free hosting there a long time ago, now I have a VPS). Many links in one post is often the trade of spammers and thus mod_security is used to limit the number of links per post to help prevent spamming. If this is the case the host is probably able to tweak, or remove, that part for your account.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”