Permissions help

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
yamahar

Permissions help

Post by yamahar »

Hi there, I need to create a forum area on my 3.0.11 based phpbb forum.

This forum I need a single user NOT to be able to see it. We are trying to arrange something for him without him knowing it. He is a regular registered user and a member of a group called "donators" which some users are members of.

I have tried to create a forum and set him to have NO ACCESS, I have also tried to create a group which he is a member of and given that group NO ACCESS to the forum in the permissions, but it is still visable to him.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong ??
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Permissions help

Post by JimA »

Keep him in that hidden group you created especially for him.
But in the Groups' Forum Permissions, set the permissions for that forum to "All Never".

Setting it to No Access will mean the permissions from the Donators group will override the permissions from the special group you had put only him in, and therefore it wouldn't have any effect.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Permissions are stacked so a NEVER beats a YES beats a NO.

No Access only sets the permission to NO. So if they are in another group with a YES they will be able to see it. The simplest way is to put them in to a group, set that to NEVER for the ability to see and read in that forum and you're done.

When you want to reveal it, just take them out of the group.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
yamahar

Post by yamahar »

many thanks guys, got it sorted :D

The bloke broke 3 vertebra and his C2 in his neck on his bike, luckily he will be ok as his spinal cord was not damaged, I run a motorbike forum and he has done so much to help others and won't take anything in return so we are having a whip around without him knowing to get his bike sorted and some other stuff.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”