Basic one, how to get main url to direct to forums

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
lylefk

Basic one, how to get main url to direct to forums

Post by lylefk »

Aloha,

Sorry for the super basic one, but here goes.

I've installed the forums at the suggested /forums location on the domain.

I want people that arrive at www.example.com to be directed to www.example.com/forums.

My very limited understanding is that I need to modify an index.html file or make an .htaccess file and stick a couple lines of code in there? Is that correct? What's the story if so? Thanks so much, appreciate the resource!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Basic one, how to get main url to direct to forums

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the best way is to move all of the phpbb files/folders out of the folder named forum into the root of the domain.

just use your ftp to move all of the phpbb files and folders up one level and then delete the now empty folder named forum.

done.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
KnownSyntax

Post by KnownSyntax »

You honestly don't even need an index.html file as long as you have the .htaccess correct. You can either use 301 (or another type of code) to let search engines know that the main domain has been permanently./temporarily redirected to your forums.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you can do this with htaccess. however, in this situation it would be better to just move the board to where you really want it to be instead of messing with redirects etc.

a 301 redirect would only be needed if you were moving a page/site that already had a lot of links out there and in the search engines. on a new board there is no need for it, just move the files.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”