Sub-Accounts / Account Links / Account Switcher

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Ideas Centre
Court

Re: Sub-Accounts / Account Links / Account Switcher

Post by Court »

Anyone working on this?? I want!
Court

Post by Court »

Still wanting this!
corycubbage

Post by corycubbage »

I've been running play by post forums for Pathfinder for about three years now. I also searched for alias functionality for awhile but was unable to discover anything, so I set about taking the initiative to get this functionality to my forums by any means necessary. I hired a programmer to begin making modifications to my site for numerous things, alias "Post-As" functionality, Custom user variables for each player (Hit Points, AC, Spells, Abilities, etc.). The work was completed about 80% and he abandoned the project. Frustrated I had invested hundreds of dollars without a finished product, I took it up myself to complete it and eventually had it functional for 3.0.

Fast-forward to about a month ago I started the process to migrate my site to 3.1, but struggled mightily as I had so much custom work on the code that was not a simple module I could remove or transfer. I've transferred much of the functionality now, though I still have numerous things that don't work correctly.

This is what it looks like currently for posting. All of this is enclosed in a tab that is not displayed by default, the post body is below the collapsible div of Gear at the bottom.

Basically what I do is have a user register a new account for each alias they want. Once they have done so, they never need to log in to that account again and only need to use their primary account. I a table called subaccount which holds the user_id of the primary account and the user_id of the alias accounts. When you load the page a query runs to find the following:

1)Find all subaccounts for the user_id of your primary account
2)On the backend I create a group for each forum and set that alias account as a primary member to that group. So then I select which of the subaccounts has a default primary membership to the forum you are posting in and pick that account from the dropdown box. This way when you post in a forum, it should automatically pick the correct subaccount each time, but allow you to change it if you wish.

Below the post-as is a bunch of custom fields I've designed. There are more then what I have displayed here, the layout is mostly about functionality right now - I haven't prettied it up too much yet, but you get hte idea.

When viewing a topic, you can see they are viewed as separate accounts, even though they are both linked to me.

I am not what I consider a skilled programmer, I get by through a lot of trial and error and google-fu. I wish I were skilled enough to package this up for everyone to share, but I am not. It is deeply hardcoded into much of my site, and I would consider it insecure and still in alpha with several errors out there.
Court

Post by Court »

Wow! You really put a lot of effort into it and it looks pretty great! Maybe someone knows you to take what you've done and shape it into a Mod, but really bravo on your efforts its really awesome!
DaKaren

Post by DaKaren »

There was an old mod that I have for 3.0.x that allowed for multiple accounts to be linked together. You could switch on the fly and it was really awesome.

I was just forced to migrate to 3.1.6 due to a mandatory server update to php 5.5. So the method I was using is unfortunately unusable at present and my (lazy) users are somewhat pissy about it.

Here is a link to the old mod if anyone is capable is using it for inspiration in making a modern version. I'd sure love a copy.
Drakkim

Post by Drakkim »

For what it's worth, that old mod is still available here on phpBB.com, and that wasn't the last version. Here's the thread for it: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=575613. I had started converting the mod over to phpBB 3.1 but lack of time kinda kept me from it. I did pass my latest (although not fully functional) version of the 3.1 extension over to someone who had expressed interest, but it seems nothing came of that.

If anyone wants to try to pick up where I left off, I still have that code. The back end works (switching and all that), but I never got a chance to figure out how to inject the required code into every page to make it usable. Getting past that barrier and I'd probably only be a couple days (that I can find time) from making it all work.
shurijo

Post by shurijo »

Just an update for me, I've had no free time at all over the last few months. Last year, I had a lot of free time, but then I got going on other things and haven't had any time to code anything. I don't think this would be too difficult, so if I get some free time then I'll try to start.
Tessatore

Post by Tessatore »

+1 for me if someone is still working on this!

I'm running 3.0 right now because I'm hoping a mod like this to come out. :)
Court

Post by Court »

would still love this! I appreciate the two of you who have attempted it! I totally understand life being crazy..so I think we're all patiently waiting!
Sankuri

Post by Sankuri »

I'm definitely still looking for this. I require this for my games, but am forced to use the old 3.0.x software for it or another board software entirely.

If people were still looking for interest, it's still there. People, especially PbP RPers, would love you forever!
BriniaSona

Post by BriniaSona »

I'd like the option of where to display the drop down menu too.

Footer
Header
Sidebar

These would be good choices for the location
BriniaSona

Post by BriniaSona »

Any updates on this?
MystEra

Post by MystEra »

I'd also like to know if there's anyone working on this still? Because it still would be great to have :)
martin123456
I've Been Banned!

Post by martin123456 »

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_CODE_UNTIDY and S_MESS_ON_INDEX Good If_Not_TIDY_Then_SUBMIT -->
martin123456
I've Been Banned!

Post by martin123456 »

Coming soon to a site near you phpbb 3.1 / 3.2 account switcher ext ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9DVl0BO9Sg

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_CODE_UNTIDY and S_MESS_ON_INDEX Good If_Not_TIDY_Then_SUBMIT -->

Return to “Extension Requests”