I can't login to my own forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Bruce Banner

I can't login to my own forum

Post by Bruce Banner »

I just changed the timezone for Anonymous, logged out to check whether the correct time was displayed (it wasn't), and tried to log back in again to see what had gone wrong but I can't do it. Every time I try, I'm brought back to the board index as I should be but I can still see the Register and Login links. I can't access anything. What's worse, at the bottom of the index, it says there are two users on the board right now, myself, and a guest. So, apparently, I'm logged in and not logged in at the same time. I'm myself and a guest at the same time. What the hell?!

EDIT: I've just tried the login method at the bottom of the index. That hasn't worked either. It's still logging me in without logging me in.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: I can't login to my own forum

Post by KevC »

Try deleting your cookies.

Changing the time for that account should not affect your login. You almost never need to do anything with that account except perhaps change the style it uses. Your visitors will not care one jot what the time is.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

KevC wrote:Try deleting your cookies.

Changing the time for that account should not affect your login. You almost never need to do anything with that account except perhaps change the style it uses. Your visitors will not care one jot what the time is.
I don't do that often enough to remember how. How do I delete cookies only for the board and nowhere else?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

There's a link at the bottom of the index.
You can also usually do it in your browser preferences.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

KevC wrote:There's a link at the bottom of the index.
You can also usually do it in your browser preferences.
Great, thanks.
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

It's not working. I tried reinstalling the board. After I was done deleting the install folder and creating the search index, I went to the board index and tried deleting the cookies through the link at the bottom, which logged me out. When I logged back in again, I got the exact same problem. No access. It's telling me I'm logged in and a guest is there as well, me being the guest. I tried deleting the cookies again and hitting Ctrl+F5. Nothing. Tried to login again. Nothing. I cannot login, cookies or no cookies.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Solved. I logged in and changed the cookie name to give a new one.
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

It's happening again. This is driving me up the wall. I just reinstalled the board again and when I went to the board index, it said there were 2 users online. 1 registered and 1 guest. I knew that wasn't right so I tried logging out and logging in again and (much to my surprise, :roll:), the same problem happened all over again. I was logged in as myself but still only seeing the board as a guest. So I went to my browser (Pale Moon) options, Privacy, remove individual cookies, typed in my site's url, removed all the associated cookies, went back to the board, hit Ctrl+F5, and this time, I was now fully logged in. Is this **** something to do with the browser? I usually use Firefox but got sick of that recently due to it being too slow and sticky but I never had this problem with it. Is it just because I'm now using Pale Moon that I have to go through this crap? I'm gonna try reinstalling again, this time in Firefox, and see if I get the same problem.

EDIT: Whatever this issue is, it affects Firefox too. I didn't have this problem with 3.1.9 Why am I having it with 3.2?

EDIT: Just tested reinstalling 3.1.9 on Firefox. I was able to log out and log back in again with no problem so there is something unique to 3.2 that's causing this issue. I assume. If the same issue happens in both browsers but only with 3.2 and not with 3.1.9, then I assume the problem is with 3.2 But both versions do have one symptom in common. When I'd finished reinstalling 3.1.9 and I went to the board index, I was again told there were two users online. Myself and a guest. As I said, I was still able to log out and log FULLY back in again despite this. But I'm still curious why this keeps happening. Surely at the moment of installation there's only one user online, the founder. How can there be a guest? Is the guest a bot?

EDIT: OK, the guest isn't a bot. The guest is definitely me. I clicked Who Is Online and it said I was, from my IP address, and a guest, also from my IP address. Under Last Updated, for me, it said the current time, and for my "guest", it said the time I started the board according to the admin index. So why, when the board starts, am I appearing to it as a guest, and what is causing my inability to log out and fully log back in again without having to manually delete cookies?

EDIT: Just did an experiment. Reinstalled the board, then waited 7 minutes to go to the board index. I wanted to give the "guest"'s session time to expire. When I did go to the board index, I was the only user online, and the statistics said the most users ever online was 1. So I tried to log out and back in again, and AGAIN, the same... thing... happened... I could only see the board as a guest and AGAIN had to manually delete the cookies. Maybe this is something to do with 3.2, maybe it's something to do with the browsers I'm using (Firefox and Pale Moon), as KevC suggested to me in a PM, maybe it's something to do with Cloudflare, another suggestion of KevC's. I don't know. All I know is this problem does not occur with 3.1.9
Bruce Banner wrote:I was able to log out and log back in again with no problem
So can someone please tell me what is the most likely cause of this issue?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

first, forget about the thing with the guest showing up. that is normal. you were visiting as a guest before you logged in. that is why it still shows the guest.

now, go to your hosting control panel and turn off cloudfare. it has some kind of caching thing that is a mess.

also, remember, 3.2 is still in the testing phase so you may have found some type of bug .

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:first, forget about the thing with the guest showing up. that is normal. you were visiting as a guest before you logged in. that is why it still shows the guest.

now, go to your hosting control panel and turn off cloudflare. it has some kind of caching thing that is a mess.

also, remember, 3.2 is still in the testing phase so you may have found some type of bug .

robert
I don't know how. Can you tell me what I should look for?

EDIT: Also, you said I was visiting as a guest before I logged in. But I wasn't. I'm talking about going straight from the admin index, immediately after installation, to the board index where it says that I'm looking at the board both as the already logged in admin and as a guest. So I don't understand what you mean when you say I was "visiting" as a guest "before" I logged in.
Lumpy Burgertushie

you were not logged in until you logged in. if you are not logged in, you are a guest until you log in.

just like everyone else. even if you have the remember me checked, it is just an automatic login. you are always a guest until you log in.

having you show up as logged in and a guest is normal because until you logged in, you were a guest.

once you have logged in, it shows you as logged in and still shows you as a guest until that guest session expires.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:you were not logged in until you logged in. if you are not logged in, you are a guest until you log in.

just like everyone else. even if you have the remember me checked, it is just an automatic login. you are always a guest until you log in.

having you show up as logged in and a guest is normal because until you logged in, you were a guest.

once you have logged in, it shows you as logged in and still shows you as a guest until that guest session expires.

robert
I still don't get it. I didn't log in. I installed the board, then went straight from the admin index to the board index, where it said I was already logged in. So what do you mean "until" I logged in?
Lumpy Burgertushie

the install creates the board. then it logs you in using the admin name and password you put in the blanks of the install form. once it is finished installing the board, it logs you in. until that happens at the end of the install process you have been viewing and working on the install of the board as a guest.

robert

Bruce Banner

Post by Bruce Banner »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:the install creates the board. then it logs you in using the admin name and password you put in the blanks of the install form. once it is finished installing the board, it logs you in. until that happens at the end of the install process you have been viewing and working on the install of the board as a guest.

robert
AH, OK. NOW I understand you. How do I turn off Cloudflare though?
Lumpy Burgertushie

go to your hosting control panel. in most cases it is called CPanel.

in the menu there you should see where to maintain cloudfare. disable it.

based on the number of complaints I have seen here, unless you have a very large, very busy board, the benefits of it are not worth the trouble from what I have seen around here.

robert

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”