Allowing Underscores in Searches

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
RaymondT

Allowing Underscores in Searches

Post by RaymondT »

So. I help administer a website for a game and one portion of this is a forum. Our administration and support team tracks player status in a special area of the forum; we log when a player has been warned for bad behavior, when it was lifted, etc. A necessary part of this is logging the player's in-game name (this is not our game, so we cannot control player names whatsoever).

All status changes are stored in a single thread with the player's name in the topic, as well as in the body. This way we can keep a chronological history of a player's behavior in one thread for easy tracking. However we are severely limited when we have players whose names include underscores. We have found no way, at all, to search for posts with these players in there, we have to go through one by one through hundreds, sometimes thousands of threads. It is really becoming a deal breaker.

Yes, I am aware of the '*' wildcard character, but it is completely useless if the player's name starts with an underscore, or if the name is "the_destroyer" since a wildcard search for "the*" brings back a ridiculous number of results.

My question is: Are we missing something somewhere that would allow these characters in search or is this ever going to be addressed (as I have seen threads with "deal with it" as a response)? If it is not going to be dealt with is there a search modification I can install or make to change this behavior? The underscore is the only special character allowed by the game, so it is the only one we ever need to search for.

Any help on this would go beyond greatly appreciated as migrating to another forum system at this point would be an extremely unpleasant task and we all enjoy the set-up with phpBB anyway. Thank you in advance.

Edit: We can use the search function built into our browser to search one page at a time, but this is still rather time consuming as we can only search one page in each forum at a time, does not work for us to properly track.
RaymondT

Re: Allowing Underscores in Searches

Post by RaymondT »

Well this is disheartening.

Is there another forum system anyone knows of that does allow the inclusion of underscores in search terms?
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

phpBB handles underscores just fine.

Please fill out the Support Request Template Generator and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg »

area51 seems to return an unusually large number of results for my test search.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Erik Frèrejean wrote:phpBB handles underscores just fine.
Not sure that what phpbb.com returns for a search is actually relevant in this case since phpbb.com doesn't use the native search engine, it uses Sphinx (and maybe Area51 does as well).

If you want to search for "the_destroyer" try searching for +the*destroyer, it will likely return a lot of irrelevant results but hopefully also what you are looking for in the first few. That is, use the wildcard for as few characters as possible.

Or if you want to give the Sphinx search engine a try with the board there is a MOD in development, [Beta] Sphinx search for phpBB 1.0.beta2.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
RaymondT

Post by RaymondT »

I tried a fresh vanilla installation of phpbb 3.0.10 on a separate server for testing, created ten sample threads, and searching for underscores does not work. So I am not sure what Erik is referring to, unless I am missing a setting somewhere. I also hopped into the support channel in IRC and the people in there said searching for underscores is not possible with the standard search function.

As for Sphinx - that is exactly what I am looking for, and I can keep phpBB, Thank you very much!

EDIT: Ah, I see. phpbb.com uses the sphinx plugin, which is why this website can utilize the underscore in searches. It is not built into phpBB itself. Unfortunate, but better than nothing.
nl2dav

Post by nl2dav »

Sphinx is not a solution but a workaround.

The problem is that phpBB in \includes\search\fulltext_mysql.php priorities PCRE preg_match_all instead of a PHP preg_match_all and in the PCRE code there is only p{L}\p{N} defined which matches a letter or number not an underscore. The PHP code a bit more down in the code does include the underscore though because it's making use of \w

Because the PCRE code also makes an error by creating two underscores while splitting keywords this bit needs to be disabled also. So the best thing to do, if you want to keep the original code is do something like I did;

Code: Select all

// Filter out as above
		$split_keywords = preg_replace("#[\n\r\t]+#", ' ', trim(htmlspecialchars_decode($keywords)));

// Split words
		/* if ($this->pcre_properties)
		{
			$split_keywords = preg_replace('#([^\p{L}\p{N}\'*"()])#u', '$1$1', str_replace('\'\'', '\' \'', trim($split_keywords)));
		}
		if ($this->mbstring_regex)
		{
			$split_keywords = mb_ereg_replace('([^\w\'*"()])', '\\1\\1', str_replace('\'\'', '\' \'', trim($split_keywords)));
		}
		else
		{ */
			$split_keywords = preg_replace('#([^\w\'*"()])#u', '$1$1', str_replace('\'\'', '\' \'', trim($split_keywords)));
		//}

/*
		if ($this->pcre_properties)
		{
			$matches = array();
			preg_match_all('#(?:[^\p{L}\p{N}*"()]|^)([+\-|]?(?:[\p{L}\p{N}*"()]+\'?)*[\p{L}\p{N}*"()])(?:[^\p{L}\p{N}*"()]|$)#u', $split_keywords, $matches);
			$this->split_words = $matches[1];
		}
		if ($this->mbstring_regex)
		{
			mb_ereg_search_init($split_keywords, '(?:[^\w*"()]|^)([+\-|]?(?:[\w*"()]+\'?)*[\w*"()])(?:[^\w*"()]|$)');

while (($word = mb_ereg_search_regs()))
			{
				$this->split_words[] = $word[1];
			}
		}
		else
		{ */
			$matches = array();
			preg_match_all('#(?:[^\w*"()]|^)([+\-|]?(?:[\w*"()]+\'?)*[\w*"()])(?:[^\w*"()]|$)#u', $split_keywords, $matches);
			$this->split_words = $matches[1];
		//}

// We limit the number of allowed keywords to minimize load on the database
To get a working search with underscores. No idea why PCRE and mbstring_regex gets prioritization, maybe because of speed issues. But if this leads to different functionality then this is of course not good.

I am aware that I kick a four year old thread and that support ends on 1-1-2017 but maybe I still can make someone happy with this message? 8-) .. The underscore is used in Youtube video urls.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Never stumbled upon this one. The solution however is not good, as \w is locale dependant and thus can fail to match diacritics, not to mention non-latin letters and non-arabic numbers. It would be far better to just add _ into the character classes and not kill Unicode support entirely.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
nl2dav

Post by nl2dav »

Right hhmmm.. I see why PCRE gets prioritized now...

So the correct solution would be to replace;

if ($this->pcre_properties)
        {
            $split_keywords = preg_replace('#([^\p{L}\p{N}\'*"()])#u', '$1$1', str_replace('\'\'', '\' \'', trim($split_keywords)));
        }

with

{
            $split_keywords = preg_replace('#([^\p{L}\p{N}\p{Xwd}\'*"()])#u', '$1$1', str_replace('\'\'', '\' \'', trim($split_keywords)));
        }

and

{
            $matches = array();
            preg_match_all('#(?:[^\p{L}\p{N}*"()]|^)([+\-|]?(?:[\p{L}\p{N}*"()]+\'?)*[\p{L}\p{N}*"()])(?:[^\p{L}\p{N}*"()]|$)#u', $split_keywords, $matches);
            $this->split_words = $matches[1];
        }

with

{
            $matches = array();
            preg_match_all('#(?:[^\p{L}\p{N}\p{Xwd}*"()]|^)([+\-|]?(?:[\p{L}\p{N}\p{Xwd}*"()]+\'?)*[\p{L}\p{N}\p{Xwd}*"()])(?:[^\p{L}\p{N}\p{Xwd}*"()]|$)#u', $split_keywords, $matches);
            $this->split_words = $matches[1];
        } 
Tests seem to succeed so far. Thanks for the reply.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

That is redundant: \p{L}\p{N} is already within \p{Xwd}.
http://www.pcre.org/original/doc/html/pcrepattern.html wrote:Xan matches characters that have either the L (letter) or the N (number) property. Xps matches the characters tab, linefeed, vertical tab, form feed, or carriage return, and any other character that has the Z (separator) property. Xsp is the same as Xps; it used to exclude vertical tab, for Perl compatibility, but Perl changed, and so PCRE followed at release 8.34. Xwd matches the same characters as Xan, plus underscore.
So either replace \p{L}\p{N} by \p{Xwd}, or just add _.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”