working with Q&A captcha Answers?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
matrixer

working with Q&A captcha Answers?

Post by matrixer »

Hi folks,

is someone able to help here?

I would like to have some of my user their username as a possible answer for the Q&A plugin, so they can invite people and give them access with their own username.

Question 1) Is there an easy way to 'insert' all usernames of a specific group as captcha answers?

Question 2) Is there a way to record the given answer somewhere unter the user in sql?

Needless to say I hate playing with the DB as I am afraid to break everything... and I have no idea where to start... so if someone has maybe already such or a a similar solution - please let me know?

Thanks in advance
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: working with Q&A captcha Answers?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

only one user can have a username at a time.
not sure what you are trying to accomplish.
maybe do a search in the extensions forums for "invite" or "invatation" extension.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

He wants the referring member's username to be the Q&A answer.

How about just giving the members a code number they can give out that is the answer to the Q&A ("Enter membership referral code")? If you want to credit a member with the referral, add a Custom profile field (Username of member who referred you).
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
matrixer

Post by matrixer »

Hi guys,

Thanks for beeingso swift...

stevemaury: this is a absolute minimalistic solution - what about a more "sophisticated" solution as described in my initial post - is anyone able and willing to guide me to this solution?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you may find that some people don't really understand what you are trying to do.

my guess above and then steve's guess apparently didn't quite hit the mark.

to me it sounds like you are trying to do something that phpbb is not realy designed to do.

that doesn't mean it can't be done, it just may mean that it will take a lot of coding and changing etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Make your Q&A question "Enter referring member's username."

Then run the following SQL ( Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin ):

Code: Select all

SELECT username FROM phpbb_users WHERE user_type <> 2;
If your table prefix is not phpbb_ change accordingly.

Export the output of the query as CSV, open the output in a text editor and replace the commas with a carriage return/linefeed. Then paste the resulting list into the Q&A Answers box.

As you get more referred members, you will have to add their usernames. Just rinse and repeat the above.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
matrixer

Post by matrixer »

Heeheheey Stevemaury.... it works!!! Thank you thank you thank you :-)

Part 1 accomplished - how difficult would it be to create Part 2?

Basically I could create an additional field in the user table.. I am sure I can find out how, but can you help me writing the code to "save" the newly registered user's answer in that table, so I can check who invited who?

Lumpy, I can understand your point of view... but isn'it that almost everyone here is trying to do something with phpBB which by design the standard install is not able to... I mean that explains the ext section.

And apart this... is not everyone here trying to offer their user the "ahaaa effect" - meaning: fulfilling their wishes while designing the best website (or web service) of this planet :-)

Or is this the behavior of a Wix customer hahahaha... let me know what you think!

And apart this: I don't believe any of my requests for support or design are far-fetched - I don't believe I have this creativity... no, I think these are things I saw somewhere on the internet and/ or people have told me of these ideas. No more no less :-)
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Not as elegant, but much easier would be to add a required custom profile field on the registration page where the registrant must also enter the referring member's username. Then a query would give you all the referral info.
matrixer

Post by matrixer »

Hi Steve

Is there any code I can apply so the Q&A answer will be written in that custom profile field?

Thanks
Matrixer
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Probably, but that would be an extension request. We are now (if we weren't before) beyond the scope of basic phpBB support. I think you are getting involved in lot of work for not much return. Registering users already have to confirm their password and their email. Is it really so hard for them to type in the referring username twice? They could just cut and paste.
matrixer

Post by matrixer »

ok.. I have requested an extension and hopefully someone has mercy :lol:

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”