phpBB and BBCode table tags

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
T.C.

phpBB and BBCode table tags

Post by T.C. » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:39 pm

I'm confused about tables in phpBB. My understanding is that BBCode officially supports a [table] tag (see here), and phpBB supports BBCode (see here), yet for some reason phpBB doesn't support the [table] tag. Is there a reason for that?

I've seen several posts which suggest that board administrators who want to support tables can define custom BBCode tags (for example, see here). If I create custom BBCodes this way, will they comply with the BBCode specification? (In other words, will I be able to assure my users that my "custom" BBCode table tags work as documented on BBCode.org?)

Puchahawa
Name: Randy

Re: phpBB and BBCode table tags

Post by Puchahawa » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:21 pm

Tables work just fine in 3.1x. If you want to do tables look at this extension. Easiest way, as all the code is put in by one click of a button. Then it's just filling in the info. :lol:

The author's (Sniper) board is down at the moment but you can download the extension here.

You can see an example I set up on my board to show my members how to use it here. Note, the tables are style dependent so they won't have the same coloring as my examples unless you use aeroblack style. :)
Avatar courtesy of artist Faith Coyotë

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:25 am

FWIW - there's a forum called Custom BBCode Development and Requests you may find useful.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:27 pm

T.C. wrote: If I create custom BBCodes this way, will they comply with the BBCode specification? (In other words, will I be able to assure my users that my "custom" BBCode table tags work as documented on BBCode.org?)
Just be aware that that bbcode.org site is not an authoritative reference. It is just a site someone put together to explain about bbcode. Whether your custom bbcodes conform that site is really irrelevant.

T.C.

Post by T.C. » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:56 pm

You guys are great.

Puchahawa -- Those tables look really good on your board. I'm going to install that extension as soon as I have time to work on it.

Mick -- Thanks for pointing me to the development and requests forum. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time there as I customize my board the way I want it.

And Brf -- I just assumed bbcode.org was the official standard for BBCode. Thanks for setting me straight.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”