[ABD] [Beta] SEO Sitemaps

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
jcocking

Re: [Beta] SEO Sitemaps

Post by jcocking »

WelshPaul wrote:I was using http://www.phpbb-work.ru/sitemap-extension-t76.html but with your sitemap, more pages have been indexed. :)

Google webmaster reports zero issues and it passes validation as reported previously.

If nobody has tested this with 3.2.x then that is something I will do next week. I know 3.2.x hasn't been released and that the final version may change which could result in an extension that works now not working at a later date, but it will give a good indication of things to come.

Will also test this out using php 7.0 and report back.

Thanks for all your hard work putting the extension together for us all, very much appreciated. :mrgreen:

UPDATE 21/11/2016: Tested with php 7.0.1 and it works just fine.
UPDATE 21/11/2016: Just finished testing this with 3.2.0-RC1 and it works just fine.

phpBB 3.2 is still under development, it's possible things could change and that this extension may not work with the final release. Only tested this now because I wanted to see what the odds were of this working later down the line in it's present shape should this mod end up abandoned or left on the shelf as a 3.1 extension once 3.2 is released.
Thank you for the feedback. I am glad to see your number of pages index has increased. This sitemap has several additional features that google prefers to be included in the sitemaps over the previous extension used.

Thank you for the testing 3.2 and php 7. I have not setup my new 3.2 test server yet.

jeff
LotusElan.net is a fully responsive phpBB forum dedicated to the Lotus Elan Sportscars of the 1960s.
donsenilo
Name: Markus

Post by donsenilo »

hi

sorry ... this might be a stupid question ... :?
but where can I find these sitemaps on my server (via FTP) ?
jcocking

Post by jcocking »

donsenilo wrote:hi

There is a link to the site map index in the ACP Sitemap settings page.

Or

Code: Select all

www.domain.com/sitemap/sitemap.xml
The page is an xml document with a style sheet to be human readable.
LotusElan.net is a fully responsive phpBB forum dedicated to the Lotus Elan Sportscars of the 1960s.
whocarez

Post by whocarez »

There seems to be a conflict with the xcache driver:
PHP Fatal error: xcache_set(): Objects cannot be stored in the variable cache. Use serialize before xcache_set in /var/www/forum/phpbb/cache/driver/xcache.php on line 81
phpbb 3.1.10
sitemap 0.2.0
donsenilo

Post by donsenilo »

jcocking wrote:
donsenilo wrote:hi

There is a link to the site map index in the ACP Sitemap settings page.

Or

www.domain.com/sitemap/sitemap.xml
The page is an xml document with a style sheet to be human readable.
Ok ... this is clear to me :roll:
But there are now so many xml-sitemaps (111 !) and it's not very practical to download every single sitemap. That's why I asked, where I can find these sitemaps on my webspace with my FTP-Tool.
donsenilo

Post by donsenilo »

Hi

I know it's Xmas time ... ;)

But I wanna ask, if this Ext is still in "work" ... :?:

And btw.: 111 sitemaps means you have to download each file, upload it to your webspace and give each file separately to your google-account. This is not practical ... so this Ext is (at this point) not useful.

What about an option to create only one sitemap ?
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

donsenilo wrote:
You don't have to download any sitemaps and upload them. You upload the extension, enable it and follow it's directions. Then you only have one sitemap INDEX that you submit to Google, google will traverse all the linked sitemaps itself without adding links to each one separately.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
donsenilo

Post by donsenilo »

bonelifer wrote:
donsenilo wrote:
You don't have to download any sitemaps and upload them. You upload the extension, enable it and follow it's directions. Then you only have one sitemap INDEX that you submit to Google, google will traverse all the linked sitemaps itself without adding links to each one separately.
Hi bone ...

THX ... I've now uploaded only the index-sitemap and submitted it to google.
Time will tell ...
WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul »

So after a couple of days things went south for me, google indexed just 83 URL's using this sitemap where the previous one indexed over 1,000. I left it a month but nothing so reverted back to shredders sitemap and after 24 hours over a 1,000 URL's were once again indexed?
jcocking

Post by jcocking »

WelshPaul wrote:So after a couple of days things went south for me, google indexed just 83 URL's using this sitemap where the previous one indexed over 1,000. I left it a month but nothing so reverted back to shredders sitemap and after 24 hours over a 1,000 URL's were once again indexed?
Unusual experience. You are the first to report any problems. Let's do a quick diagnosis:
1. Did you manually validate the sitemaps?
2. Did you point google webmaster tools to the new sitemaps index?
3. Did google webmaster tools show any error messages related to the sitemaps?
4. How active is your phpBB?
WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul »

jcocking wrote: 1. Did you manually validate the sitemaps?
Yes, all were good.
jcocking wrote:2. Did you point google webmaster tools to the new sitemaps index?
Yes, also used Fetch as Google to fetch and render the main index page as some say this can help force google to re index the site.
jcocking wrote:3. Did google webmaster tools show any error messages related to the sitemaps?
No none, everything was good.
jcocking wrote:4. How active is your phpBB?
Not very active, it's a support forum for a rather unique market. Usually very quiet this time of year.
jcocking

Post by jcocking »

WelshPaul wrote:
jcocking wrote:4. How active is your phpBB?
Not very active, it's a support forum for a rather unique market. Usually very quiet this time of year.
This extension uses a frequency indicator for Google. The other extension does not. The frequency indicator tells Google how often to index the page. If your site is not very active, the frequency will list monthly or annual indexing on in frequent pages. Google already has the page indexed, and the frequency indicator indicates monthly, then Google will only index monthly.

The pages that were listed as indexed were most likely the pages recently updated.

Large and active phpBB boards need the frequency indicator. Smaller and inactive boards will take longer to show as indexed.
WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul »

Thanks for the reply and explanation jcocking.

I had put it down to that myself, I switched back to see what would happen and just in case there was an issue with the extension.
jcocking

Post by jcocking »

donsenilo wrote: But there are now so many xml-sitemaps (111 !) and it's not very practical to download every single sitemap. That's why I asked, where I can find these sitemaps on my webspace with my FTP-Tool.
The number of sitemaps is directly related to the number of forums you have. Each forum has two sitemaps. This has to do with caching and performance.
  • One of the forum sitemaps only lists posts that are less than 30 days old. This sitemap is created dynamically. Additionally, this sitemap lists pages that need to be indexed immediately, hourly or daily.
  • The other sitemap lists posts that are older than 30 days. This sitemap is cached for 24 hours. Most pages on this sitemap are listed to be indexed weekly, monthly or annually.
The extension also creates a master sitemap index. This index lists all the forum sitemaps.

I hope this explains the reason for the large number of sitemaps. If you have a small forum, this may appear to be overkill. Once your phpBB installation exceeds 100K posts, this will be appreciated from a performance perspective.
WelshPaul

Post by WelshPaul »

Hi again,

You make use of role=menuitem in the overall_footer_teamlink_after.html file but an element with role=menuitem must be contained in, or owned by, an element with role=menubar or role=menu.

So this:

<a href="{LOTUSJEFF_SITEMAP_URL}" role="menuitem">{L_LOTUSJEFF_DISPLAY_TITLE}</a>
Should be:

<a href="{LOTUSJEFF_SITEMAP_URL}">{L_LOTUSJEFF_DISPLAY_TITLE}</a>

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”