Discuss: phpBB 3.2 Rhea Feature Release Published

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
alex75
Name: Alessandro

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.2 Rhea Feature Release Published

Post by alex75 »

I do not remember where I read that phpbb 3.1 continued its development until June 2017 and will end support in December 2017.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I think you're referring to this announcement, which has different dates: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2373966

EDIT: See Paul's link below.
Last edited by A_Jelly_Doughnut on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

alex75 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:28 pm I do not remember where I read that phpbb 3.1 continued its development until June 2017 and will end support in December 2017.
See here; viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2398141
alex75
Name: Alessandro

Post by alex75 »

Paul wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:34 pm
alex75 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:28 pm I do not remember where I read that phpbb 3.1 continued its development until June 2017 and will end support in December 2017.
See here; viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2398141
Yes, right ;)
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Congratulations everyone on reaching this epic milestone! :D
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

I think phpBB still has a hell of a lot of room for performance improvements...

I'm kinda peeved that we are jumping to a new 'upgrade' rather than 'update' after all the work I've done to get it working as quickly as possible. All that will more than likely be lost with the upgrade. (I'm talking serious minification that I've done etc). Not only that but I have custom pages that took a massive amount of hand coding, and I've struggled to get help with them in the past...Requested extensions for them previously with no joy.

Really do have to wonder if this is the end of the line for upgrading my main board, I'll let these results speak for themselves:

Pagespeed score: 100% - YSlow score: 98% - Load time (0.7-1.3 seconds on average)
https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.corrad ... m/fZ0i5y4W

How long can we stay with 3.1.10 before we stop getting support?
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
travel

Post by travel »

Great job.
Thank You.
Ambis

Post by Ambis »

Guess the installer wasn't tested on any larger forums?
The installer detected a timeout
The installer has detected a timeout, you may try to refresh the page, which may lead to data corruption. We suggest that you either increase your timeout settings or try to use the CLI.
Now keeping fingers crossed with cli for it to complete the DB migration fully.

Also the installer/updater does not check beforehand that it actually has all the necessary permissions to finish the db migration.

Anyways, enhancements in 3.2 look good and I was especially looking forward to seeing PHP 7.1 support :!:
nicofuma
3.2 Release Manager
3.2 Release Manager

Post by nicofuma »

We built the CLI updater especially for big board (or automated systems) and we always use it to upgrade phpbb.com or area51.

@Volksdevil A lot can be done yes, but it's not necessarily the main goal of the current contributors. But if it is yours, feel free to contribute, all contributions are welcome. About 3.2, you can try to update most extensions (and your custom pages) should still work. You may have a few small visual glitch to fix though.
Member of phpBB Development-Team
No Support via PM
calken

Post by calken »

Hi everyone - good work on the update.

I've updated phpBB numerous times, always a fresh update copying the images/files etc.

This time, I've unzip'ed the structure, copied my config but when I navigate to /install/app.php/update it gives me a 404.

If I go to install first and then click on the Update tab, I get the same error.

Could someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what my stupid mistake is?

Thanks, Chris.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

nicofuma wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:05 pm@Volksdevil A lot can be done yes, but it's not necessarily the main goal of the current contributors. But if it is yours, feel free to contribute, all contributions are welcome. About 3.2, you can try to update most extensions (and your custom pages) should still work. You may have a few small visual glitch to fix though.
I fear my ideas would fall on deaf ears...Narrowing CSS down to one or two files maximum for example, a main stylesheet.css and responsive.css at the most. This is an implementation of web development that's been around for many years now regards performance.

As far as my custom page, the worry is that it makes lots of database requests which I don't understand. Anyway, I appreciate this isn't the topic for me to make my worries known. :)
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

Volksdevil wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:58 pm I think phpBB still has a hell of a lot of room for performance improvements...

I'm kinda peeved that we are jumping to a new 'upgrade' rather than 'update' after all the work I've done to get it working as quickly as possible. All that will more than likely be lost with the upgrade. (I'm talking serious minification that I've done etc). Not only that but I have custom pages that took a massive amount of hand coding, and I've struggled to get help with them in the past...Requested extensions for them previously with no joy.

Really do have to wonder if this is the end of the line for upgrading my main board, I'll let these results speak for themselves:

Pagespeed score: 100% - YSlow score: 98% - Load time (0.7-1.3 seconds on average)
https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.corrad ... m/fZ0i5y4W

How long can we stay with 3.1.10 before we stop getting support?

This is also some of my concerns!

its not long since I upgraded to 3.1 and lost all the mods and styles of 3.0 and to lose it all again is just a kick in the nuts to the members of my forum!

What strikes me as odd is there appears to be a lack of support for styles and extensions that have been validated and some have to be re written by the authors

Why cant the support team help or even update these styles and extensions or maybe all developers work together to have a massive database of updated styles and extensions rather than just leave the author to figure it out :?

All the work everyone does is appreciated by me but maybe each and everyone could help each other out and keep the forum software the best out there
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

sakm wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:37 pm Why cant the support team help or even update these styles and extensions or maybe all developers work together to have a massive database of updated styles and extensions rather than just leave the author to figure it out :?
Hi Stu,

As a style Author and former team member here, I wouldn't say it's the phpBB Team's responsibility to maintain contributors' styles and extensions. But I do acknowledge the issue you've raised with style/extension authors dropping support for their contributions, sustained not least of all by Arty (highest grossing style downloads of all time) abandoning his phpBB style development.

From a styling point of view, there are a couple of problems.

1) There is a really heavy reliance on using the prosilver framework. Style Authors know that their styles should support extensions (otherwise, nobody's going to use your style). In order for extensions to work, hooks are scattered throughout template files in many locations that inject code in a certain format. This makes it very (very!) difficult to create unique and interesting layouts as much of the core HTML needs to stay the same, and there is a limited amount that can be achieved with CSS overrides. The other problem is that the prosilver framework is nearly 10 years old, is built on ancient markup (definition lists / tables), and many responsive functions achieved through JavaScript instead of a pure CSS grid system. It takes an enormous amount of work to convert prosilver into anything like a modern framework, and many style authors just don't have the time to make it look good. This is why most of the free styles available for phpBB aren't that good.

2) The other major problem as I see it is around incentives. Given what I've mentioned above, there needs to be some end reward for creating and supporting a style. For some this is pride and that's enough, for others it's financial. I have a premium style, supported by several free styles, but in my experience here the phpBB Team have blocked nearly every attempt I've made to monetize my style development, by either: Asking me to remove certain credit lines from my free style(s), telling me to remove donate buttons, or removing links to my premium styles from the downloads page of my free styles. I am grateful that lately the team have been more relaxed around signature and credit line links in styles, however there is still some resistance around what I can put on the downloads page of free styles. Contributors use vast amounts of free time to create both free and premium contributions (that both ultimately play their part in retaining phpBB users), and it's crucial that the phpBB Team don't block contributors from being able to earn from their contributions in order for us to keep contributing to the phpBB project.
Phazerstostun

Post by Phazerstostun »

I can't find any Styles? Are there none released?
nextgen
Name: Melvin García

Post by nextgen »

Phazerstostun wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:54 am I can't find any Styles? Are there none released?
Here you can find some but are still in development.
メルビン・ガルシア • nextgen Solutions

Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”