That depends on whether you've made any core code edits that you'd like to preserve.
If you have, you can use the phpBB-3.2.0-RC1_to_3.2.0.zip
Automatic Updater package that will merge the file difference and provide you with the files to upload for the update.
If you haven't done any core code edits, it gets even easier, just follow these instructions below:
- Backup all board files and the database.
- Download the latest version (which is just the core 3.2.0 package).
- Unzip to your desktop and open the phpBB3 folder.
- Remove (delete) the
config.php file, and the
/images folder from that package.
- Via FTP or SFTP upload the remaining files and folders to the root of your board installation on the server overwriting the existing files.
- In your browser go to http://www.example.com/yourforum/install/ to run the database update
- Continue that until it completes.
- Via FTP or SFTP delete the
/install folder from the root of your board installation.
You now have an up to date board containing all your users, posts, and extensions.