3.2 Should be Pulled

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
PHenry1025

3.2 Should be Pulled

Post by PHenry1025 »

Release 3.2 totally screwed up my forum.

I had to revert to 3.1.10 with heavy technical support from my hosting company.

Also if the Automatic Update from 3.1.10 to 3.2 is not usable, why is listed as an update option.

I strongly recommend not attempting this update until 3.2 is modified. All the advise given from the experts in these forums do not seem to work.

This is just a technically poor update.
david63

Re: 3.2 Should be Pulled

Post by david63 »

That is a matter of opinion to which you are entitled.

Personally I have done four upgrades to 3.2 without a single problem
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
PHenry1025

Post by PHenry1025 »

Why would you have to do four upgrades:

1. Because you had problems or

2. The upgrade to 3.2 is so screwy, users have to pay you for the upgrade which is my point.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

PHenry1025 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:21 pm Why would you have to do four upgrades:

1. Because you had problems or

2. The upgrade to 3.2 is so screwy, users have to pay you for the upgrade which is my point.
or ...

3. Because he has four forums of his own that he has updated

I have done 6 of mine so far, all error free
PHenry1025

Post by PHenry1025 »

I guess that makes the rest of us that are having crippling problems with this update stupid.

If it is so easy why don't you spell out exactly what you have done step by step?

Or do we need to have multiple forums for this update to work for us; your answers are so dishonest and bull.
alhitary
Name: Basil Taha Alhitary

Post by alhitary »

PHenry1025 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:50 pm Release 3.2 totally screwed up my forum.

I had to revert to 3.1.10 with heavy technical support from my hosting company.

Also if the Automatic Update from 3.1.10 to 3.2 is not usable, why is listed as an update option.

I strongly recommend not attempting this update until 3.2 is modified. All the advise given from the experts in these forums do not seem to work.

This is just a technically poor update.
Yes
Just see this forum and you'll see the many complains about update to 3.2 without find a solution.
For me, I posted many times without getting a reply from them :

1st : viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2400436

Snd : viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2401871

lastest : viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2402381

My forum stooped since 8 Jan and find no help from them nor solution for my problem and I'm still waiting.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Starting 3 separate topics just makes tracking down the problem more complicated. You should keep it in one.

As for the original point, as I posted elsewhere earlier, many problems are actually from people who are not using proper diligence before updating. Several have not checked the server requirements, have not checked if their style is compatible or have not checked if their extensions are compatible. They often haven't made a backup or tested the update on a backup first before doing it on their real board. This means that they're diving straight in and updating a live, working board and get more frustrated when it's offline for more than a few hours while a solution is found.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
david63

Post by david63 »

PHenry1025 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:21 pm Why would you have to do four upgrades:
Becuase I have several boards - and they are not all done yet.

KevC wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:38 pm ... many problems are actually from people who are not using proper diligence before updating. Several have not checked the server requirements, have not checked if their style is compatible or have not checked if their extensions are compatible.
And that is why the devs release Alpha, Beta and RC versions so that users can not only find potential problems but learn what is needed to upgrade.

Can I ask a question - How many users that have experienced problems with the upgrade to 3.2 actually partook of the Alpha, Beta or RC stages?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
PHenry1025

Post by PHenry1025 »

If 3.2 went through Alpha, Beta and RC versions and these problems were not detected, it say more about you and your fellow experts than ordinary users like myself.

Also no one has yet provided an answer to the initial question:

If the Automatic Update from 3.1.10 to 3.2 does not work why is listed and given as an option?
divingbrit

Post by divingbrit »

As an ordinary user, by following the instructions in the support thread, after having a failure, due to using the automatic update, I have three forums working perfectly running the latest software.
Nothing wrong with 3.2
Shy but working at it
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

As this is not a support issue, I am moving to Discussion.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

3.2 is working perfect for me, load time is better and less cpu ussage. :D
Update was also without any troubles.

But a better warning for the styles and extensions had been better :!:
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
advocatus

Post by advocatus »

PHenry1025, there's nothing that can be said to satisfy you or convince you otherwise, right?
Hi, I'm advocatus and I own www.forumgames.in.
PHenry1025

Post by PHenry1025 »

It was the Automatic Update installation that brought my Forum down. So I just need a simple explanation of why it is given as an option and why this release has execution time issues.

The technical support at my hosting company had no idea how to increase the execution time. Technical support tried increasing the execution time through php.ini but that did not work.

Not everybody has the cpanel that was noted in the discussion on increasing the execution time.

I think it would a benefit to all users to remove the Automatic Update as a first step.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

PHenry1025 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:19 am
I think it would a benefit to all users to remove the Automatic Update as a first step.
I agree with this.

I also must say, if your host's support does not know how to manage their servers especially something as simple as changing a simple configuration setting, then I would suggest you find a new host as soon as possible.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”