3.2 Should be Pulled

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
PHenry1025

Re: 3.2 Should be Pulled

Post by PHenry1025 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:53 am

My website host is one of the larger website hosts with thousands of phpBB users so this issue is affecting a lot of people.

My question is if your website host does not use WHM cpanel, how do you change php.ini to increase the execution time?

mp777

Post by mp777 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:22 am

PHenry1025 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:50 pm
Release 3.2 totally screwed up my forum.

I had to revert to 3.1.10 with heavy technical support from my hosting company.

Also if the Automatic Update from 3.1.10 to 3.2 is not usable, why is listed as an update option.

I strongly recommend not attempting this update until 3.2 is modified. All the advise given from the experts in these forums do not seem to work.

This is just a technically poor update.
same problem. i was fine using automatic updates up until this point. then the 3.2 update screwed everything up.

nothing pisses me off more than having to update this software. this the achilles' heel of phpbb.

mp777

Post by mp777 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:29 am

KevC wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:38 pm

As for the original point, as I posted elsewhere earlier, many problems are actually from people who are not using proper diligence before updating. Several have not checked the server requirements, have not checked if their style is compatible or have not checked if their extensions are compatible.
or maybe the real problem is PHPBB IS POORLY DESIGNED AND THE PROGRAMMERS DON'T WANT TO ADMIT IT?

i doesn't take a genius to figure out that this software is poorly designed. but it seems that once pride is on the line, function takes a backseat to covering your ass.
Last edited by bonelifer on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please don't yell.

koraldon

Post by koraldon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:54 am

KevC wrote:
As for the original point, as I posted elsewhere earlier, many problems are actually from people who are not using proper diligence before updating. Several have not checked the server requirements, have not checked if their style is compatible or have not checked if their extensions are compatible. They often haven't made a backup or tested the update on a backup first before doing it on their real board. This means that they're diving straight in and updating a live, working board and get more frustrated when it's offline for more than a few hours while a solution is found.
Why doesn't the phpbb check itself for the requirements? It can easily also warn the user prior to updating that a backup is recommended...
The manual update is primitive and incapable while the automatic update seems broken...
Automatic update need to be fixed and improved - not discarded...

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:05 am

koraldon wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:54 am
The manual update is primitive and incapable
Then update it and submit it for consideration.
koraldon wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:54 am
Automatic update need to be fixed and improved - not discarded.
Why should it not be discarded? The only reason for the Auto update is historic from the days of phpBB 3.0 where there were MODs that changed the core code. As one of the philosophies of phpBB 3.1/3.2 is that the core code should not be changed then that requirement has gone.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

koraldon

Post by koraldon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:21 am

There should be an easy automatic way to update phpbb.
I would love to learn programming, maybe after the kids get to school :)

And any manual upload cannot incorporate checks for requirements or warnings to users...
Last edited by koraldon on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:21 am

david63 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:05 am
As one of the philosophies of phpBB 3.1/3.2 is that the core code should not be changed then that requirement has gone.
Yet users still do it. Imagine the uproar if someone overwrote their board and lost all the edits they had done (without backing up the files first I might add).

One can never please 100% of the people 100% of the time.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

noth

Post by noth » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:31 am

mp777 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:22 am

same problem. i was fine using automatic updates up until this point. then the 3.2 update screwed everything up.

nothing pisses me off more than having to update this software. this the achilles' heel of phpbb.
well I must agree with mp777

all I see is "The installer detected a timeout
The installer has detected a timeout, you may try to refresh the page, which may lead to data corruption. We suggest that you either increase your timeout settings or try to use the CLI."

despite refreshing I never get any further

and in all previous automatic updates this never happened once

updating should be made easy, not a punishment exercise

koraldon

Post by koraldon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:53 am

For reference area51 old discussion on new installer for 3.3 - https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 81&t=48951

noth

Post by noth » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:55 am

3.3 ? really? what about 3.4? there is no word on that? :shock:

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:00 pm

mp777 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:29 am
KevC wrote:

As for the original point, as I posted elsewhere earlier, many problems are actually from people who are not using proper diligence before updating. Several have not checked the server requirements, have not checked if their style is compatible or have not checked if their extensions are compatible.
or maybe the real problem is PHPBB IS POORLY DESIGNED AND THE PROGRAMMERS DON'T WANT TO ADMIT IT?

i doesn't take a genius to figure out that this software is poorly designed. but it seems that once pride is on the line, function takes a backseat to covering your ass.
I'm not saying the software is perfect, none is from any maker anywhere. I'm saying people should take sensible steps with something important like a forum before they dive in and update.

The first 3 steps on the update guide page say
-Ensure that your server meets the requirements
-Make a backup of the original files
-Make a backup of the database

You're obviously very angry about it so why not be proactive for the next version on Area51.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

koraldon

Post by koraldon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:36 pm

noth wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:55 am
3.3 ? really? what about 3.4? there is no word on that? :shock:
Frankly I would be happy with 3.3. having only this single feature (built-in updates to core + install/updates of extensions & styles*) and released shortly.
It is correct to not add features to mainteance releases (i.e. 3.2.x)

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Post by lurttinen » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:49 pm

PHenry1025 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:53 am
My question is if your website host does not use WHM cpanel, how do you change php.ini to increase the execution time?
I open the php.ini in a text editor. Edit what i want, save it and reload it to take effect.

In some case i might make a quick change to .htaccess to test something and it overwrites php.ini setting.

You don't need a cpanel or any other control panel to maintain a server. :)
Signature is here

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:16 pm

lurttinen wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:49 pm
PHenry1025 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:53 am
I open the php.ini in a text editor. Edit what i want, save it and reload it to take effect.
I have a feeling this answer is nonsensical to PHenry1025, since he could edit his php.ini if he had access to it.
lurttinen wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:49 pm
In some case i might make a quick change to .htaccess to test something and it overwrites php.ini setting.
This, on the other hand is a useful answer.

But just in case, I strongly advise PHenry2025 to backup everything he has access to before trying to edit anything like php.ini or .htaccess (in fact just always backup before changing anything).
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

mp777

Post by mp777 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:15 pm

KevC wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:00 pm
mp777 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:29 am
KevC wrote:

I'm not saying the software is perfect, none is from any maker anywhere. I'm saying people should take sensible steps with something important like a forum before they dive in and update.

The first 3 steps on the update guide page say
-Ensure that your server meets the requirements
-Make a backup of the original files
-Make a backup of the database

You're obviously very angry about it so why not be proactive for the next version on Area51.
this amounts to saying: sorry you're not a lawyer, but you should quit your job as a doctor to study for the bar exam so you can help us in the legal profession even though you already have a job.

i try to reasonably educate myself regarding phpbb. but there are obvious limitations. i started from scratch like a lot of people and have learned a lot about editing my forum, but you're asking wayyyyyy too much w/o even realizing it. and the directions are ALL CONVOLUTED. it's already mentioned that there are many ways to update, all with conflicting directions! this is called BAD DESIGN.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”