why is it ALWAYS such a headache to upgrade this software???

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Re: why is it ALWAYS such a headache to upgrade this software???

Post by DavidIQ »

juliokr wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:14 pm I agree that a board owner/webmaster should have a minimum of knowledge what FTP, database ... means.
But what I d'ont understand. Why do you call "AUTOMATIC UPDATE PACKAGE" "automatic update" on your download page https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/
For me "automatic update" means klick on one or two bottoms in the ACP and it's done, like in Wordpress !
And not download package, upload package, go to "install" chose files that should be merged, download again, upload again, update db, delate install folder.
As we know in most cases it's much easier and "more bug free" to take the complete package !
Not everybody goes first on the support forum for to know what's the best way to make an upgrade !
That's just semantics. It's been called that since it has existed and is really an automatic update package since it automatically does your custom code changes for you. And you keep comparing it to WordPress and it's really nothing like WordPress because all WP does when there's an update and you click their shiny button is that your files get replaced with new ones without checking for code changes and your code changes get lost if you've made any. With phpBB this same method is quite possible by using the changed files package.

Instead of renaming it the consideration being had is for possibly having it nuked as it is really no longer relevant.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Just one proposition :
Why don't you propose 3 different kind of packages :
1) The full package like it is
2) "Easy update package" same as "full package" without .htaccess, config.php, /files and /images (with mention that you have to "re-upload" themes and extensions that you have installed yourself
3)The "automatic update package" like it is for users that had make core file changes

It would be much more clear on my opinion (not everybody uses phpBB since 2.0)
Ger

Post by Ger »

juliokr wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:37 pm Just one proposition :
Why don't you propose 3 different kind of packages :
1) The full package like it is
2) "Easy update package" same as "full package" without .htaccess, config.php, /files and /images (with mention that you have to "re-upload" themes and extensions that you have installed yourself
3)The "automatic update package" like it is for users that had make core file changes

It would be much more clear on my opinion (not everybody uses phpBB since 2.0)
You should check these 2 topics:
- PHPBB3-14518 One click update - proposal for 3.3
- Do We Still Need Auto Update?

If you have ideas about the update process I think you should share them there. Area51 is the place where you can participate in the development discussion.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Ger wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:19 pm You should check these 2 topics:
- PHPBB3-14518 One click update - proposal for 3.3
- Do We Still Need Auto Update?

If you have ideas about the update process I think you should share them there. Area51 is the place where you can participate in the development discussion.
Sounds good but there are ideas for 3.3 that means in 1 or 2 years no?
What I have proposed could be done immediately (or nearly)

By the way : what happened with phpbb.com ? Did you "blow up" the 800px width pages to 1200px ?
Or is it my browser which bugs ?
Ger

Post by Ger »

juliokr wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:39 pm Sounds good but there are ideas for 3.3 that means in 1 or 2 years no?
What I have proposed could be done immediately (or nearly)
3.3 is planned for December this year.
By the way : what happened with phpbb.com ? Did you "blow up" the 800px width pages to 1200px ?
Or is it my browser which bugs ?
Nothing wrong here, blame your browser. Or your zoom settings.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Ger wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:49 pm Nothing wrong here, blame your browser. Or your zoom settings.
Very strange phpBB.com is the only site where this phenomena happens (on Safari) since some days
Capture.png
Ger

Post by Ger »

Try cmd + 0. Otherwise, go to website feedback since it's way off topic.
My extensions:

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

juliokr wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:01 pmphpBB.com is the only site where this phenomena happens (on Safari)
I could reconstruct your screenshot only with a 130% zoom.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Ger wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:15 pm Try cmd + 0. Otherwise, go to website feedback since it's way off topic.
Thanks became normal with cmd + -
Did never recognize that Safari keeps zooming in memory over 1 week

But one more thing do you have solution for this too (announcement 06 Jan) ?
Capture-2017-01-16.png
Ger

Post by Ger »

I'm not sure what the problem is in that screenshot. Anyway: this is very, very off topic.
My extensions:

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Ger wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:08 pm I'm not sure what the problem is in that screenshot. Anyway: this is very, very off topic.
Yes sorry But is it normal to have

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.phpbb.com/about/launch/][img]https://www.phpbb.com/assets/images/images/about/launch/phpbb-header-rhea.png[/img][/url] Today is a big .... 
And this in every browser
DavidIQ
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ »

That is obviously a small bug on the front page announcements and we are already aware of it. As has been mentioned though, please stay on topic. :)

Thanks.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

Just tried the file replacement method that everybody bangs on about, on a test/mirrored board. There's no way I can upgrade with that method, I'm losing most of my site! All the thousands of hours over the years that I've put into it and it would all be gone! Missing pages, missing information, complete lack of any style...all leading to hundreds of broken links for google to pick up on :roll:

I think my days with phpBB are over, as far as upgrading anyway. It's ridiculous to have to start over again. And phpBB are obviously forcing out any chance of modifying your board to not look like the rest.

Pretty pissed off tbh.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

not sure why everyone else does not have this problem. your setup must be pretty unique.
If you have been modifying the core files then of course the file replacement method won't work for you.
if you had custom pages and/or custom styles then of course the total file replacement won't work for you.

the file replacement is meant for people that do not have any core edits to contend with. that is most of the user base. the auto update method is designed for people like you that have made custom changes to things and therefore would have an understanding of how to use the auto update method etc.

by the way, 3.2 is not a update, it is an upgrade and just like every other upgrade in phpbb history, many (if not most )things that worked in the old version no longer work in the new one.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

I've been through the auto update and it won't work...All I see is 'You shouldn't modify the core', the auto update should be dropped blah blah.

I realise it's an upgrade, of all the 'updates' I ever did right through 3.0 up to 3.1 I never had an issue with tons of modified/hand coding, but these 'upgrades' are too much...for the sake of bloody font awesome, which is hardly even new anymore.

It's obvious that any auto update/upgrade feature is going to be phased out and render my site useless at some point...
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from :arrow: KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Twitch | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

Return to “phpBB Discussion”