I cannot update to phpBB 3.2.0

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
thehunter

I cannot update to phpBB 3.2.0

Post by thehunter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:01 pm

I am now running phpBB 3.1.9 and my server does not meets the requirements for running phpBB 3.2
they just told me that: "Unfortunately phpBB 3.2 may not be compatible with our servers, since it
requires a relatively high php version which we currently cannot upgrade to,
due to compatibility reasons. Our current php version is 5.3.8 "
so I am not able to update it to phpBB 3.2.0
My question is: if I dont update anymore, for how long will my Forum works properly?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: I cannot update to phpBB 3.2.0

Post by KevC » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:16 pm

3.1 will certainly be supported until the end of 2017. That should be more than enough time for your hosts to upgrade or for you to look elsewhere for a new host.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

P_I

Post by P_I » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:46 pm

thehunter wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:01 pm
may not be compatible with our servers, since it
requires a relatively high php version which we currently cannot upgrade to,
due to compatibility reasons. Our current php version is 5.3.8 "
I'd strongly recommend pushing back with your hosting provider. Per PHP: Supported Versions and PHP: Unsupported Branches, PHP 5.3.x reached end of life in August 2014, 2 years, 5 months ago!

phpBB 3.2's minimum requirement for PHP 5.6 puts it just inside the "Security fixes only" window of PHP, which any respectable hosting provider should consider standard operating procedure, not a "relatively high PHP version.".

If you hosting provider isn't willing to provide a supported version of PHP, then I'd suggest it's time to consider changing hosting providers to someone who will.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

thehunter

Post by thehunter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:04 pm

KevC wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:16 pm
3.1 will certainly be supported until the end of 2017.
thank you for the answer but, what happen after the end of 2017? will my forum still work even if it's not supported? it may seem a silly question but I really need to know because to change Hosting service is, for many reasons, the last thing I want to do.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:12 pm

it will still work but there will be no more updates or support for it once it reaches end of life.

as for changing hosts, that is very easy to do.
you simply backup your current files and databases and move them to a new host. you change the name servers at your domain registrar for your domain name. all done in a couple of hours at the most. your members won't even know you have done it unless you tell them.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:29 am

Once you install the software on your own site, we have no control over it so it certainly will not just cease to work on Jan 1st 2018.

Your bigger issue would probably be if the host updated the servers to php7 as that will not work 'out of the box' with 3.1.x

Further to Lumpy's answer about moving hosts, some will even do it for you.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

thehunter

Post by thehunter » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:12 pm

as for changing hosts, that is very easy to do.
you simply backup your current files and databases and move them to a new host. you change the name servers at your domain registrar for your domain name. all done in a couple of hours at the most. your members won't even know you have done it unless you tell them.
robert
I know how to change the host but my forum is related to a web site 60Gb heavy, the last time I move it, it takes me 1 week time. but maybe I can have the website in one host and the forum in another one?
so thanks anyway for your answer which are very useful

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:45 pm

what in the world could create a website that uses 60gb of disk space?

anyway, the only thing that would take time is the actual download/upload of that many files.

and that shouldn't take more than a couple of hours depending on your internet speed.

you download the website, you upload the website to the server you are done.
or, you get your new host to do the transfer. they can do it much faster than you can.

depending on how they do it, you may or may not have to recreate your databases and then import backups to them.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”