White screen, unable to view forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
zlev11

White screen, unable to view forum

Post by zlev11 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:17 am

Our forum has been plagued by the "white screen" problem for a few months now. In all honesty, none of us have any idea how to even begin to fix this issue, and everything we read about the problem is not very understandable for any of us. it is basically just a small forum for a handful friends that have known each other for a long time and none of us are knowledgeable in regards to the backend web page server hosting stuff (i dont even know exactly what to call it). It wouldn't be a big deal to start over if we didn't have almost 10+ years of posts and memories on this forum that we can no longer even view.

Anyway, I really have no idea what to do. Is there anyone who can explain a way to fix this issue in layman's terms for an idiot like me? From reading various threads on this forum, I understand that the issue could be a "php syntax error". That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

zlev11

white screen problem

Post by zlev11 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:58 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.0
What is your board's URL? http://www.spamgasm.org/phpBB3/index.php
Who do you host your board with? Lunarpages
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Conversion from phpBB2
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? dont know, i think none
What language(s) is your board currently using? english
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? None
Please describe your problem. White screen, we are unable to view the forum at all.
Generated by SRT Generator

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: white screen problem

Post by Mick » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:02 am

It looks fine to me. Generally, if something strange starts happening and you've done nothing to cause the issue such as editing or uploading core files etc. then your host has probably done something to cause it, you should speak to them.
zlev11 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:58 am
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.0
Your board is 3.1.
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
Please elaborate.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

zlev11

Re: White screen, unable to view forum

Post by zlev11 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Okay, I actually spent some time and learned how to do a reinstall of the forum before this thread and that post were approved. It fixed everything. I just have a few questions:

We had a 3.0 forum before the white screen issue. I reinstalled a version of 3.0 but I was still unable to see the forum, but I was getting a mysql error message instead of a white screen. I read that adding an "i" to the !$dbms = 'mysql' line in the config.php would fix this issue and it did. I was able to view the forum again but there were various issues so I assumed they were because I needed to upgrade to 3.1.

So I installed 3.1 and still had some of the same issues. I read this could be due to the database being run on PHP 7, and it turns out it was, so I changed it back to 5.6 on the control panel of our host. Everything works beautifully now.

The one question I have is, is it still proper to have the !$dbms = 'mysqli' line in the config.php file? What exactly does that do? When I ran the install/database_update i had a config.php with the "i".

P_I

Post by P_I » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:25 pm

zlev11 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:05 pm
The one question I have is, is it still proper to have the !$dbms = 'mysqli' line in the config.php file? What exactly does that do? When I ran the install/database_update i had a config.php with the "i".
Yes you should be using mysqli. From PHP: Choosing an API - Manual
It is recommended to use either the mysqli or PDO_MySQL extensions. It is not recommended to use the old mysql extension for new development, as it was deprecated in PHP 5.5.0 and was removed in PHP 7.
Might I suggest one slight improvement, change the line to:

Code: Select all

$dbms = 'phpbb\\db\\driver\\mysqli';
which comes from the phpBB 3.1.x auto-generated configuration file.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

zlev11

Post by zlev11 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:30 pm

Alright, thanks for your help!

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”