Global Announcement, 'Stick topic for:' value not remembered?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
P_I

Global Announcement, 'Stick topic for:' value not remembered?

Post by P_I » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:33 am

Over the weekend I upgraded one of my boards from phpBB 3.1.10 to 3.2.0. It went generally as planned. There was one glitch that I'd post about later.

I posted a new topic about the upgrade and the new phpBB 3.2 features that members would notice as a Global Announcement with Stick topic for: set to 14 days.

When I went back today to make an edit to update some of the content, I noticed that the Stick topic for: was showing 0 :?:

I edited it back to 14 days and clicked Submit. Then went back and edited it again, Stick topic for: was showing 0 again :?:

As another data point, I have another Announcement that was posted before the upgrade, so I double-checked, it is correctly showing the number of days that was set.

Is the Stick topic for: for a non-zero number of days broken in phpBB 3.2?

Edited: Subject changed to reflect problem is only for Global Announcement. Sticky and Announcement can have non-zero number of days.
Last edited by P_I on Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: Sticky and Announcement, 'Stick topic for:' value not remembered?

Post by 3Di » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:42 am

I can confirm that a Global announcement for a non-zero number of days is broken in phpBB 3.2.

Did you check the DB if the field has been correctly sat? (despite it doesn't display the correct value).

My testbed it is a vanilla 3.2.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

P_I

Re: Global Announcement, 'Stick topic for:' value not remembered?

Post by P_I » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:58 am

I've updated the Subject based on further testing.

Case of:
  • Sticky -- the 'Stick topic for:' value can be non-zero and is stored in the database.
  • Announcement -- the 'Stick topic for:' value can be non-zero and is stored in the database.
  • Global Announcement -- the 'Stick topic for:' value can be non-zero and is NOT stored in the database.
I loaded a vanilla phpBB 3.1 board and determined the behaviour is the same, so this isn't new to phpBB 3.2 after all.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:59 am

I believe the Bug Tracker wants you. :geek:

Good catch, btw.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

P_I

Post by P_I » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:10 am

Last edited by P_I on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lady_G

Post by Lady_G » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:26 am

I can create a sticky using the "Change to "sticky" moderator actions drop-down list at the bottom of the page. The same for "Change to announcement".

I can also "Change topic type to:" to any of (Normal Sticky Announce Global) when I manually edit the post.

When I change the "Stick topic for:" days to be other than "0", the topic is reset to a "Standard Topic" and the day counter is reset to 0 days.
Was also busy typing this post. :) The problem could be described as "Entering a non-zero value in "Stick topic for:" will reset the topic type to "Standard Topic".

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”