Reset password emails not sending. Is it Bluehost?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
aster59

Reset password emails not sending. Is it Bluehost?

Post by aster59 »

Users aren't receiving reset password links via their emails. I tested this on a new account. It doesn't work. However, it oddly enough works on my admin account?! I tried changing permissions of can reset password of new users and that didn't work.

In CLIENT COMMUNICATION -> Email Settings:
I tried setting 20 to 0 in Email package size. Nope.

I tried here:
https://wiki.phpbb.com/Support/Email_Troubleshooting

Nothing here helped. I get this error with non SSL settings using:
mail.mydomain.com (also tried localhost)
Port 26 (also tried 25 and 465)
password PLAIN
No username
no password

The emails won't send at all (page won't load to test successful) with the SSL settings on (SSL meaning I tried port 465)?

Error excerpt in maintenance -> error log

Ran into problems sending email at Line 1553. Response: 535 Incorrect authentication data
LINE: 1096 <- 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
LINE: 1096 <- 220 and/or bulk e-mail.

Then at bottom of error:
# Omitting sensitive information
LINE: 1553 <- 535 Incorrect authentication data

So I added my username and password for usual with setting up the bluehost emails on email clients. Still doesn't work but I notice PHPBB shortens my password after I submit changes? Can't see it though since it is protected in mask.

Is Bluehost my provider doing this? What can I do? I haven't tried bulk email and rather not for obvious reasons.

ANYWAYS, this isn't the main issue. My users can't reset their password. Any way to fix it without fixing this non-functional possible solution (although I am wondering)?
Please help me!
aster59

Re: Reset password emails not sending. Is it Bluehost?

Post by aster59 »

Any ideas?
david63

Post by david63 »

From other posts on this board Bluehost appear to be having all sorts of issues at the moment - so it is highly possible that they are causing the problem.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

As another data point, I've got a board running phpBB 3.2 at Bluehost and to the best of my knowledge we haven't experienced any of the issues being reported. AFAIK our board is running smoothly.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
aster59

Post by aster59 »

P_I wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 9:51 pm As another data point, I've got a board running phpBB 3.2 at Bluehost and to the best of my knowledge we haven't experienced any of the issues being reported. AFAIK our board is running smoothly.

Oh yeah, Bluehost is pretty great for this so far. I am just having issues with this email thing. I wouldn't have known if several users hadn't complained.
aster59

Post by aster59 »

Well I finally got around to calling bluehost. Apparently it isn't them. They say that there are no sending quotas on my account.
I notice that the error only triggers when I am sending without port 465. I do port 465 with LOGIN and my mail username and password. It just hangs then and also doesn't send. My server is SSL and cookie secure.

Some of you all have to have Bluehost here. Do you have this issue? If you use an account that isn't an admin and try to send an email to it via ACP > System > Mass Email, does said account get the email? What are your settings?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”