Saving orphaned attachments to a folder?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
digitaltoast

Saving orphaned attachments to a folder?

Post by digitaltoast » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:15 am

Got about 600 orphaned attachments (99% photos) over the years. My idea was to save them to a folder, and give people the chance to claim them before deletion.

For now, I can simply use a Chrome extension to "save multiple links" but is there a smarter way of doing it?

It would be great to have a "move to folder" option in addition to "delete" and "attach" options.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re: Saving orphaned attachments to a folder?

Post by canonknipser » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:20 am

Create a topic in your board ("Attachments to be deleted") and attach all orphaned attachment to that topic
Tell your users to check that topic for attachments they want to claim; if they are finished, just delete the topic.
(but 99.99% you don't need, because the result from upload or posting errors)

Edit: Or, use the script from the KB article Knowledge Base - Backing up attachments with their original filenames and look only for "is_orphaned" to copy them to a folder
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

digitaltoast

Re: Saving orphaned attachments to a folder?

Post by digitaltoast » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:40 am

Thank you - I prefer your second idea. I thought about attaching them to one post, but it would have taken ages to paste, paste, paste the post ID into all the boxes! I'm sure it could be done from the console by someone clever but... time is short!

Thanks for the useful script.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”