Importing database - BBCodes not parsing

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
infinitiv
Name: Ficjusz

Importing database - BBCodes not parsing

Post by infinitiv »

So I've imported my database from phpBB 2 to phpBB 3.2 and manually added some BBCodes presented in my old board. They work fine while posting, but they're not parsed in the old, imported posts. What can I do to parse BBCodes?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Importing database - BBCodes not parsing

Post by stevemaury »

Describe exactly how you "imported" your 2.0 database into 3.2.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
infinitiv

Post by infinitiv »

I imported it while installing 3.2. There's an option to import phpBB 2 database.
infinitiv

Post by infinitiv »

Well… Hello? Can anybody tell what’s going on with my board? I really can’t manually edit all its posts just to send them unchanged to see BBCodes working… And it seems like the only solution for now.
I need something to parse them all.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Back in the 3.0 days, you are supposed to add new bbcodes to the empty 3.0 board before converting your 2.0 board. I am not sure if that works anymore for 3.2.
infinitiv

Post by infinitiv »

Brf wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 11:58 am Back in the 3.0 days, you are supposed to add new bbcodes to the empty 3.0 board before converting your 2.0 board. I am not sure if that works anymore for 3.2.
That’d be a bummer and so much of a hassle, but I’ll check it.
Last edited by infinitiv on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
infinitiv

Post by infinitiv »

So there are the steps I’ve taken:

1. Installed fresh phpBB 3.2.
2. Added necessary BBCodes.
3. Converted 2.0 database into 3.2 via built‐in convertor.

…And custom BBCodes still not parse. Is there a way to make them work without manually editing and immediately saving all posts?
infinitiv

Post by infinitiv »

Back in the 3.0.X days there was the STK: https://www.phpbb.com/support/stk/ which allowed to reparse BBCodes. Is something like this available for 3.2?
infinitiv

Post by infinitiv »

Well I filled a ticket: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15265 and they just told me to wait, because BBCodes would parse itself after some time. I have been using my board for two months now and they didn’t parsed so it’s a bummer.

To fix those problems I simply used totally unsuporrted STK for 3.2 made by some Russians. It parsed all my BBCodes like a blast. PhpBB team should really consider to do something about it instead of relying of cron which – in this case – just don’t do its job.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

As far as I know the reparser won't parse new BBCodes. You should have added the custom BBCodes before you did the migration. The reparser is to convert the old syntax to the new, and runs in the background, or when a post is viewed for the first time.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

The reparser just edits and saves each post, it will apply whichever custom BBCodes exist at the time it is run as if a user had edited the post.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
infinitiv

Post by infinitiv »

Paul wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:35 pm As far as I know the reparser won't parse new BBCodes. You should have added the custom BBCodes before you did the migration. The reparser is to convert the old syntax to the new, and runs in the background, or when a post is viewed for the first time.
If you’d read my post you’d know that I did it:
infinitiv wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:40 pm 1. Installed fresh phpBB 3.2.
2. Added necessary BBCodes.
3. Converted 2.0 database into 3.2 via built‐in convertor.
The migration was done after adding all custom BBCodes used in my old board.
JoshyPHP wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:34 pm The reparser just edits and saves each post, it will apply whichever custom BBCodes exist at the time it is run as if a user had edited the post.
A comment below the support ticket I linked says that cron does it automatically (but it’s not). I already knew that I can manually edit all posts without parsed BBCodes but that’d take years. Russian STK’s reparser just used my account and did it for me in a couple of minutes. PhpBB needs it by default.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”