[CDB] Thanks for posts

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
DWFII
Name: D.W.

Re: [DEV] Thanks for posts

Post by DWFII »

sakm wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:27 pm Messing with the files will not kill the board if you mess it up you just replace that file ;)
I know but... 1) I don't know which files to modify and 2) some of this is being written to the user profiles and the display that comes from them--there seems to be a co-dependence, IOW.

Anyway here are the screenshots we were talking about:

Thinking about it, the wording might better be "Has Liked" and "has been Liked" because it's a sentence with links...ie. dw has liked --->for post

And of course "Thanks List" should be "Likes List"
DWFII
In the High Desert of Central Oregon
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

sakm wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:48 pm Have you a screen shot of the ones you need changing?
Can you tell from the screen shots above which files need changing?
DWFII
Hippie459MN

Post by Hippie459MN »

Just go to the extensions language files, its pretty self explanatory on what to change and you can change em to what ever you want. There is only 3 of them.
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Hippie459MN wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:17 pm Just go to the extensions language files, its pretty self explanatory on what to change and you can change em to what ever you want. There is only 3 of them.
Well, thanks for the reply but it is far from self explanatory to me.

Maybe I just have a mental block but as I said in a previous post I opened the language file in this extension and I was immediately lost.
DWFII
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

It is self explanatory if you open the file. The language files only contain the sentences or phrases that the extension uses. You'll find the "been thanked" and everything in there. I have you the path to and the file name to change. Open it up. Take a look at it. I promise you, you'll immediately see what you need to do. It's as easy as a word document.

Are you sure that you opened the file that I told you? Info_acp_thanks.php? You will see sentences in English, or phrases or whatever. Just rewrite them. Just the words. You'll see it easily.

If you get lost, take a screenshot of your text editor you opened it with and point out what you don't understand.

But I promise you it's as easy as a word document for work.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

It's daunting because when I opened the file in Notepad++ and did a search for "like" I only found one instance and that was in what I suspect is the explanation or notation for the command (or are they more than that?). Yet the extension is using "like" in several places..."like" or or "liked".

All the rest of the file is comprised of multiple instances of the word "thanks" most coupled to some command or other. I have included a screen shot.

So...several questions...what if I did a search and replace for "thanks" replacing every instance with "likes"?

And since there is currently only one instance of "like(s)" in this file, it suggests to my mind that there must be another file that has the word "like" used in some command. For instance, in the screen shot several posts above there is a bar that says "liked". And the thumbs-up icon is labeled "Like" Am I missing something?

Maybe I should just go back to the original ext. file, accept "thanks" as the default and abandon the quest for "like."
Last edited by DWFII on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
DWFII
Hippie459MN

Post by Hippie459MN »

Out of the box, this is a THANKS extension, not a LIKES extension so you need to change the "thanks, thanked, etc..." to what ever you wish to use, i.e... "Like, Likes, Liked, etc..."

Make sure to back up your original file first so if something goes goofy you can revert back to your back up.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Unless you're using a different language other than British English, that is the only file you need to change. Change every instance of thank to like within that file. You shouldn't need to purge your cache but if you still aren't seeing any changes, do so in the ACP and for your browser.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Hippie459MN wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:15 am Out of the box, this is a THANKS extension, not a LIKES extension so you need to change the "thanks, thanked, etc..." to what ever you wish to use, i.e... "Like, Likes, Liked, etc..."

Make sure to back up your original file first so if something goes goofy you can revert back to your back up.
But where do I change it? in a command such as 'THANKS_NUMBER' or in the notation such as => 'Number of thanks from the list shown in profile', Or both?

And referring to the Thumbs-up icon and the like notification bar at the bottom of the post, mentioned above where do I find these entries? They don't appear to be in the Info_acp_thanks.php file.
DWFII
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Only the ones on the right.

Within the extension,
styles/prosilver/theme/images/

is where you'll find the thumb images.

Some of my extensions:
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Not my thread but my thanks to everyone who has participated and offered advice. Thanks to paulie and sakm in particular I have this pretty much sorted out.

The only issue I still have with the extension is that the bar shown in the SS in my post of 9 jul here seems too long by half and too obtrusive. Maybe it is the background colour of my forum, maybe making the background colour of the bar transparent would help...??

But aside from that it all works and that's all the at matters.
DWFII
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

That's a css issue. Not too difficult to fix, is that bar on the original version as well? If it is ill look into it.

Some of my extensions:
DWFII

Post by DWFII »

Toxyy wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:08 pm That's a css issue. Not too difficult to fix, is that bar on the original version as well? If it is ill look into it.
Better would be a drop down list "users who have liked this post". I can see that bar getting pretty crowded before too long.

:?: While we're at it...where is the subject for email notification specified?

Currently email notification of a post being liked comes in with "No email subject specified" in the subject line.
DWFII
deadwood

Post by deadwood »

Hello and thanks for your hard work.

Does this work for 3.2.x? If not, how can i make it work?
Hippie459MN

Post by Hippie459MN »

deadwood wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:31 am Hello and thanks for your hard work.

Does this work for 3.2.x? If not, how can i make it work?
Works just fine here. :)

Return to “Extensions in Development”