Discrepancy in installation instructions?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
invenio

Discrepancy in installation instructions?

Post by invenio »

Considering the new update to 3.2.1 and before I start I had a question of why the upgrade/installation instructions are different depending on where you look.

In the Knowledge Base Instructions, it says "Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images, /store and /files folders from the package." However, in the ReadMe Before Posting post above it only mentions removing config.php and then uploading the entire contents of the install files.

Also, the Knowledge Base article makes no mention of the /ext folder.

Shoulder the /ext folder be deleted from the server before uploading the new version? If not, should the upload files overwrite/replace the previous version ones?

The knowledge base article also mentions deleting the /vendor folder. The ReadMe Post does not.

I'm a newbie so maybe I'm just not getting a clear picture? I'm at 3.2.0 now and I do have an official extension installed. Which instruction set should I be following? Thanks for the clarification in advance.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Discrepancy in installation instructions?

Post by stevemaury »

The Readme First post is for upGRADES (like 3.1 > 3.2). The KB article is for upDATES (like 3.2.0 > 3.2.1). There is no need to do anything with the /ext folder. If there are extensions in it, they cannot be overwritten by the uploaded folder, since it will not have files with the same name, so nothing would be deleted from it. The files and folders, if any, that are in the uploaded ext folder from the full download will either stay the same as the files and folders with the same name already present, or, if they are updated but have the same name, the existing files will be updated.

It really makes no difference if you delete the /files, /store and /images folders from the download before uploading, since they should be empty (except for index.htm and .htaccess, which do not change), and therefore not overwrite anything. BUT there could be FTP settings that would change that, so it is better to delete them before uploading. That will also make the upload time a small bit shorter.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”