Random Users Allowed to Register??

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
MarvelousMinerva
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by MarvelousMinerva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:54 pm

So I come back to my forum today and it's taken over by this new tapatalk format. Even though it's set to totally private and admin-approval only, somehow a random user was able to join and gain access to our forums without my consent. What's stranger is the last time I was online, there was no record of any new accounts, even though she apparently joined back in April. I'm totally freaked out that this whole time somebody was randomly perusing our stuff. Can you tell me what's going on with the settings?? I've changed in ACP for no more registration, but it was already set to joining with admin approval as I left it, and somehow she was able to slip through. How??

Also if anyone knows an easy way to back-up threads, please let me know. I've been doing it individually on my own and I can't keep up. At this point I'm deleting the forum, I've had it. Now I have to go through and privatize all my Google Docs thanks to this mess.

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69421
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by KevC » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:02 pm

What's 'the new tapatalk format' mean?

It's not unusual for account to register and sit dormant for a long time before activation. If the activation format is changed in the mean time that's not applied to existing accounts.

If you have tapatalk running, check you don't have account creation/activation through that.


Back up topics in what way? You can make a database backup easily of the whole board.
Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

G-Hubb
Registered User
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:31 am

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by G-Hubb » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:07 pm

Look at the time the user in question joined in April, then go to that time in the Admin log to see if there's any log of the activation.
Your site might be fine now, it may well have had different settings in April.

MarvelousMinerva
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by MarvelousMinerva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:10 pm

KevC wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:02 pm
What's 'the new tapatalk format' mean?

It's not unusual for account to register and sit dormant for a long time before activation. If the activation format is changed in the mean time that's not applied to existing accounts.

If you have tapatalk running, check you don't have account creation/activation through that.


Back up topics in what way? You can make a database backup easily of the whole board.
Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain
I don't know what it is, the forum looks totally different... it's bright blue and has 'tapatalk' over it -- it asked me on mobile to add it as an app, but I have not and I've never used it. I never approved a change or anything. When I go in for settings I only see ACP and MCP options, which were as I left them. I'm not sure how to go through with tapatalk at all.

Thank you so much, I'll check that out. I just want to copy the threads somewhere so we can still read them.

MarvelousMinerva
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by MarvelousMinerva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:10 pm

G-Hubb wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:07 pm
Look at the time the user in question joined in April, then go to that time in the Admin log to see if there's any log of the activation.
Your site might be fine now, it may well have had different settings in April.
That's the weird thing, I don't see any record of an activation. Just her registration. But the settings are exactly as I left them. Idk how this is happening >.< Thank you for your help

MarvelousMinerva
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by MarvelousMinerva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:19 pm

KevC wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:02 pm
What's 'the new tapatalk format' mean?

It's not unusual for account to register and sit dormant for a long time before activation. If the activation format is changed in the mean time that's not applied to existing accounts.

If you have tapatalk running, check you don't have account creation/activation through that.


Back up topics in what way? You can make a database backup easily of the whole board.
Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain
To clarify today when I came back my forum url redirected to a tapatalk one instead of freeforums. It's all still there but somehow through tapatalk. I made an account just to access the tapatalk console but there are no options to even control registration. I'm so confused. Is there a way to get this off?? I don't understand.

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69421
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by KevC » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:27 pm

You need to seek support from the people who make your forum. That's not us. If it was freeforums it doesn't use our files. I guess it's been taken over by tapatalk so I assume they now have a support forum.

But it sounds to me like a sleeper account that was made and then you've changed settings subsequently, or something to do with tapatalk which may have been installed without your knowledge as part of the takeover.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

MarvelousMinerva
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by MarvelousMinerva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:31 pm

KevC wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:27 pm
You need to seek support from the people who make your forum. That's not us. If it was freeforums it doesn't use our files. I guess it's been taken over by tapatalk so I assume they now have a support forum.
But I've never made it anywhere else but freeforums -- it has been freeforums for years and today when I login it's redirecting through them, I never did anything that has to do with this, I've never changed it. And they don't have a support forum they just have a ticketing system that I'm already submitting through. This is still a freeforums forum -- going into the settings take me into the ACP and the phpbb banner is right there. Are you telling me this hasn't happened to anyone else? Has phpbb not sold or something, how does that just happen??

User avatar
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 50864
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 am
Location: The U.P.
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by stevemaury » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:33 pm

phpBB has not sold, runs no boards and has nothing to do with TapaTalk. Many free forums appear to be implementing TapaTalk. When you have a free forum, you get what you pay for.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

MarvelousMinerva
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by MarvelousMinerva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:40 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:33 pm
phpBB has not sold, runs no boards and has nothing to do with TapaTalk. Many free forums appear to be implementing TapaTalk. When you have a free forum, you get what you pay for.
If they're not even connected in any way, how does that just happen? There has to be some kind of deal or move-over going on, if my URL is redirecting, has that just been happening at random? And somehow reverting settings that are shown to be the same when I go into ACP? There's no way to opt out? I guess I'm just deleting it at this point then.

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69421
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by KevC » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Freeforums takes the base files of phpBB and changes them to suit what they need to host free sites. We have no idea what they change. They support their own forums, not us. If this was happening on a site made with our files downloaded from here we can work out what the issue is but we can't do that with files where we don't know what the changes are. Now it sounds like either they have collaborated with tapatalk or sold their sites to them, the support passes over to tapatalk to look after it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

MarvelousMinerva
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by MarvelousMinerva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:46 pm

KevC wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:43 pm
Freeforums takes the base files of phpBB and changes them to suit what they need to host free sites. We have no idea what they change. They support their own forums, not us. If this was happening on a site made with our files downloaded from here we can work out what the issue is but we can't do that with files where we don't know what the changes are. Now it sounds like either they have collaborated with tapatalk or sold their sites to them, the support passes over to tapatalk to look after it.
Oh good Lord. They don't even have a forum. I guess this will be our death. Well thanks guys, I appreciate your trouble.

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 21662
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by Mick » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:15 pm

There's a similar episode here viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2431476
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

MarvelousMinerva
Registered User
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by MarvelousMinerva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:31 pm

Mick wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:15 pm
There's a similar episode here viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2431476
Mick thank you for that reference, that's been extremely helpful. I'm just going to back-up manually and delete at this point. Freeforums is unbelievable (and tapatalk is so much worse >__O). Thank you so much!

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69421
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Random Users Allowed to Register??

Post by KevC » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm not so sure you have access to back up anything with them and you probably can't delete the board either. If you disable it they often delete them after 90 days of inactivity.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Post Reply

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”