[CDB] Official Extension: Advertisement Management

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
Senky
Former Team Member
Name: Jakub

Re: [BETA] Official Extension: Advertisement Management

Post by Senky »

OmkePom wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:02 am For me bb3mobi's ads workes fine.

Wierd when i wanna install yours, bb3mobi's ads is gonna update.
I now i can first delete it, and than install yourse, but i dont wanna lose data.
If i delete the data i have to rebuild my adds :(
Those two extensions are not compatible. If you want to switch to this extension, you will have to rebuild all your ads eventually. Problem is probably with the DB table names - they are the same, so they create a conflict.
‎‏‏ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‏‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎🔔
Browser & Mobile Notifications Extension
Now with Safari (both macOS and iOS) support!
Senky
Former Team Member

Post by Senky »

Hi everyone,
there has been a great progress made in recent days, adding new Views and Clicks feature. From now, you can track number of views and clicks for every ad. 8-)

You can download the latest (development!) version here: https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/ad-management
‎‏‏ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‏‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎🔔
Senky
Former Team Member

Post by Senky »

Guys,
a new feature called "Ad owner" has been just added. Now, you can assign any registered user as ad owner and he can see ad statistics (such as views and clicks) in his UCP.

https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/ad-management
Senky
Former Team Member

Post by Senky »

Hi people,
from now, you can upload banner directly from ACP module :)

https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/ad-management
Senky
Former Team Member

Post by Senky »

▼-------▼
ATTENTION
▲-------▲

We are currently adding new template locations to display advertisements in. If you have some in mind, please comment the PR or reply here and they will be added immediately and included in next release. ;)
wrkalot

Post by wrkalot »

These are the ones I am currently using with another extension. I haven't checked to see if they are already included in this one. The way I am displaying ads may not be suitable for this ext, just thought I would throw them out there for consideration.

forumlist_body_category_header_before.html
overall_footer_after.html (I use this to insert an ad into the first post of a topic displayed only to guests)
overall_footer_body_after.html
overall_footer_content_after.html
overall_header_content_before.html
overall_header_page_body_before.html
viewtopic_body_postrow_post_after.html
Tutorial: How to add ads to your forum viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2417316
Way2Vet

Post by Way2Vet »

Hey guys!

Thank you very much for spending your time on developing this extension (which is imho needed for a lot of boards). I very appreciate your effort.

Just one quick question, because I am testing/looking into this extension:
You have allready added the possibilty to hide all advertisements for specific group(s). Is it possible to hide specific advertisements for specific group? For example: Show more ads, if the users is not logged in? Or show some more adds to users that did not write more than X posts?

I know I have to add the ads myself and set up what should be shown where. But it would be nice to have the ability to show/hide every specific ad to certain groups beside the possibilty to hide every ad from specific group?

(Hope you get what I mean?)

Thanks for all the work so far!

Cheers,
dominik
Senky
Former Team Member

Post by Senky »

Way2Vet wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:12 pm Is it possible to hide specific advertisements for specific group? For example: Show more ads, if the users is not logged in? Or show some more adds to users that did not write more than X posts?
Way2Vet, thanks for your proposition! For now, we don't consider this, since we want to provide the extension that is really performant and such versatility would definitely make it quite slower. We want to see the extension in the action for some time and see if it really is not slowing down the page load. If not, we can then attempt to add more and more features later. So I have added your idea to the Public requests list on our Trello board so that we don' forget about it in the future.
wrkalot

Post by wrkalot »

Senky wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 am
Way2Vet wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:12 pm Is it possible to hide specific advertisements for specific group? For example: Show more ads, if the users is not logged in? Or show some more adds to users that did not write more than X posts?
Way2Vet, thanks for your proposition! For now, we don't consider this, since we want to provide the extension that is really performant and such versatility would definitely make it quite slower. We want to see the extension in the action for some time and see if it really is not slowing down the page load. If not, we can then attempt to add more and more features later. So I have added your idea to the Public requests list on our Trello board so that we don' forget about it in the future.
This is a must have for me.
Tutorial: How to add ads to your forum viewtopic.php?f=64&t=2417316
Way2Vet

Post by Way2Vet »

Senky wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:27 am So I have added your idea to the Public requests list on our Trello board so that we don' forget about it in the future.
Thanks for your feedback. I wasn't aware about the serverload prob due to the fact I don't need the board itself to track clicks and views ;) .

Is it possible (for now) to use Template-Code like

Code: Select all

<!-- IF not S_USER_LOGGED_IN -->
in the ad-code textfield/box? So the extension itself does not need to check what group the user is?

I was wondering if that's possible, because I am planning to use ad-locations only once anyway. If not, I will have to find a workaround myself :)

Thank you a lot!

EDIT: After testing the extension I have to go back to a working one at the moment. Whenever I try to add some Adsense-Code to test I get "ERR_BLOCKED_BY_XSS_AUDITOR"-Errormessage by chrome if I want to preview the ad. The code itself is working, because I use another extension with the exact same code to show ads after the first post. Anyone knows about that problem? Can I do something to get it working? (ads won't show up at the board neither).
Senky
Former Team Member

Post by Senky »

Way2Vet wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:24 pm Is it possible (for now) to use Template-Code like

in the ad-code textfield/box? So the extension itself does not need to check what group the user is?
Not yet, but it's interesting idea. This way, admin can have really full control over the ads.

Way2Vet wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:24 pm EDIT: After testing the extension I have to go back to a working one at the moment. Whenever I try to add some Adsense-Code to test I get "ERR_BLOCKED_BY_XSS_AUDITOR"-Errormessage by chrome if I want to preview the ad. The code itself is working, because I use another extension with the exact same code to show ads after the first post. Anyone knows about that problem? Can I do something to get it working? (ads won't show up at the board neither).
Eh, we already know about the issue, but it's probably only affecting your browser - Chrome tries to block every script that is present in both request data and page source. We also have an idea how to fix this, but we would need more data. Can you please verify, that your working ad manager also contains preview feature? Does the code work upon previewing on that manager?
Way2Vet

Post by Way2Vet »

Senky wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:42 pm Not yet, but it's interesting idea. This way, admin can have really full control over the ads.
Yeah. This would be the simpliest way (if there is any simple way in developing :roll: ). By not only adding this template-codes but elseif / else as well, this extension would become really big in customizing ads shown to specific groups like:

<!-- This ad shows to guests -->
my ad code for guests
<!-- ELSE -->
<!-- ENDIF -->

<!-- This ad shows to registered users -->
<!-- ELSE -->
my ad code for members
<!-- ENDIF -->
(Code example "stolen" from wrkalot from his Tutorial: Adding Adsense to your site)

Senky wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:42 pm Eh, we already know about the issue, but it's probably only affecting your browser - Chrome tries to block every script that is present in both request data and page source. We also have an idea how to fix this, but we would need more data. Can you please verify, that your working ad manager also contains preview feature? Does the code work upon previewing on that manager?
I use the extension AdSense by Ashus. But it's very limited in possibilities. I can't preview the ad-code. Just do and watch live.
I will have a look at the other extension, because my ad code there works, but when I add AdSense-code to your extension e.g. before footer: "Test works" - simple text written shows up; whereas the rest of the code does only show up in source code (maybe I am doing something wrong there).

EDIT:
The XSS_ERROR is only related to the latest Chrome-build. I used Opera and FireFox and could preview the ads perfectly without any errors occuring.

After I had a little deeper look into what's wrong with ads not showing up, I figured out that - because I am using responsive Ads - there was a problem that only had to do with AdSense and NOT this extension. The error was that the responsive ad was not able to get the width and height available for it (or at least needed a definition how much space it could take depending on the screen resolution). Therefore the Ad-Code had to be adapted as following:

Instead of the code provided by AdSense themselves:

<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<!-- Before_First_Post -->
<ins class="adsbygoogle"
     style="display:block"
     data-ad-client="ca-pub-1234567"
     data-ad-slot="8910"
     data-ad-format="auto"></ins>
<script>
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
</script>

I had to use the "style"-Tag as you can find many of such solutions by searching the internet:

<style type="text/css">
.adslot_ID_X{ display:inline-block; width: 320px; height: 50px; }
@media (max-width: 400px) { .adslot_ID_X { width:200px; 30px; } }
@media (min-width:500px) { .adslot_ID_X { width: 468px; height: 60px; } }
@media (min-width:800px) { .adslot_ID_X { width: 728px; height: 90px; } }
</style>
<ins class="adsbygoogle adslot_ID_X"
   data-ad-client="ca-pub-1234567"
   data-ad-slot="8910"></ins>
<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script>
<script>(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});</script>
I am testing the extension now live. Big Thanks again to the devs for their efforts :!:
Senky
Former Team Member

Post by Senky »

Way2Vet wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:14 pm EDIT:
The XSS_ERROR is only related to the latest Chrome-build. I used Opera and FireFox and could preview the ads perfectly without any errors occuring.

After I had a little deeper look into what's wrong with ads not showing up, I figured out that - because I am using responsive Ads - there was a problem that only had to do with AdSense and NOT this extension. The error was that the responsive ad was not able to get the width and height available for it (or at least needed a definition how much space it could take depending on the screen resolution). Therefore the Ad-Code had to be adapted as following:
Many thanks for your research! Now we can at least provide support for the users. :D
cspld

Post by cspld »

Hello, I have a problem with the extension

Unknown column 'ad_views_limit' in 'field list' [1054]
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

cspld wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:58 pm Hello, I have a problem with the extension

Unknown column 'ad_views_limit' in 'field list' [1054]
When, which version?
phpbb version?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Return to “Extensions in Development”