STK failure possible? 3.0.14 -> 3.2.1 update

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
joeyb+1

STK failure possible? 3.0.14 -> 3.2.1 update

Post by joeyb+1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:19 am

Just wondering if it's possible for STK to fail or not completely remove moules?

I've managed to get a fair way through the 3.2.1 update and have had a huge number of errors, most of which seem to be able to be overcome somehow or bypassed.

I've got to the point where I can login to the acp, but from the submit I now get another error, which I have never seen before:

Code: Select all

Module not accessible

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/includes/functions_module.php
LINE: 565
CALL: trigger_error()

FILE: [ROOT]/adm/index.php
LINE: 82
CALL: p_master->load_active()
Perhaps this is still a result of the failed DB update, and an error which I am trying to seek further information on. (see other thread)
any ideas?

joeyb+1

Re: STK failure possible? 3.0.14 -> 3.2.1 update

Post by joeyb+1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:58 am

OK, we have some small progress, but not in the direction one would have hoped.

I can login to the board. but as soon as I try to access MCP or ACP, I get:

Module not accessible

BACKTRACE

FILE: [ROOT]/mcp.php
LINE: 312
I posted the ACP one before.

So it looks like the "almost" upgrade is just that - missing the most important parts - the acp and the mcp. For now, I need someone to help me unserstand if this is oauth issue, or if stk failed - or something else, which will help me get this board back online asap - it's 3 days now, and I guess I have a few peeved users

joeyb+1

Post by joeyb+1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:23 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.1
What is your board's URL? No answer given
Who do you host your board with? ServageOne
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.14
What styles do you currently have installed? none
What language(s) is your board currently using? GB english
Which database type/version are you using? MariaDB
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Straightforward update from 3.0.14 (not in the dropdown list above)
Please describe your problem. Firstly, post upgrade the DB encountered a fatal error and was reinstalled from the backup, which was made immediately prior to the update.

Subsequently, a number of timeouts, or failures have occurred, which have been rectified by dropping the migrations table and re-running the update.

However, despite the update being a "100%" indicated completion,with a failure notice -
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 01.22.53.JPG
there appears from the log files to be an oauth rollback. (I do not understand the oauth thing yet)
migrations_1503455040log.txt
(162.97 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
An attempt to access the site was made, knowing full well that the install folder would lead to the ACP, but that failed.
renaming the install folder, and the board is partially accessible. the board itself can be viewed, but the mod CP and Admin CP are not accessible and spit out SQL errors regarding the functions module. I feel this may have something to do with oauth update failure / incomplete update process. (I hope it's an easy fix).

I have a couple of threads already outlining the various errors, one of which has been encountered by someone else, however without access to the ACP, it is not possible to rectify.

I would seek someone with knowledge of the sqldb to work out if the STK failed, if there is an oauth issue, and why the update fails asking for strange files.

Here is an example of the SQL error after an attempt to access the MCP from the board main page

Module not accessible

BACKTRACE

FILE: [ROOT]/mcp.php
LINE: 312
Generated by SRT Generator

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:43 am

The STK if properly used on phpBB 3.0.14 (take care of versions) doesn't fail.
Straightforward update from 3.0.14
Did you run the STK in 3.0.14 prior to attempt the upgrade?
will help me get this board back online asap - it's 3 days now, and I guess I have a few peeved users
reinstalled from the backup, which was made immediately prior to the update.
Your best bet here, before the details will be cleared up a bit more (and without stress) is to restore the DB and files back to the original, to prevent further loss of data. Then attempt to upgrade the Board on a separate subdomain of sort/see: locally. In my experience though, a direct upgrade to 3.0.14 to 3.2.x is full of minefields. Better to upgrade first to 3.1.. no time now for details sorry.

You live board shouldn't be affected directly by this operation, never. :ugeek:
may have something to do with oauth update failure
Oauth? Why are you speaking abouth that bit? I don't see any relation here.

Good luck.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

joeyb+1

Post by joeyb+1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:01 am

3Di wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:43 am
Your best bet here, before the details will be cleared up a bit more (and without stress) is to restore the DB and files back to the original, to prevent further loss of data. Then attempt to upgrade the Board on a separate subdomain of sort/see: locally. In my experience though, a direct upgrade to 3.0.14 to 3.2.x is full of minefields. Better to upgrade first to 3.1.. no time now for details sorry.

You live board shouldn't be affected directly by this operation, never. :ugeek:

Good luck.

Haha I knew if I left out the bit where I'm forced to do the upgrade a certain way that some potshots would be taken, and yes, I'd love to be able to do a "local" but havent got space - and yes, I took a shortcut with 3.0.14 and deleted the files and replaced them with 3.2.1 and ran the updater (as per normal previous it has never been a huge issue) but the update on the db timed out and spat me a fatal error.... that is when I wished I had 2 additional sqldb's.... but my host is a PITA with db size limites and support tickets and slow RTT's on those tickets....

so what occurred was supposed to be straightforward - but because of the DB size, I had to raise a support ticket with the host.backup file was imported into a separate DB, it was corrupt. the phpbb install / upgrade went swimmingly until a fatal error. More time was lost waiting for ticket response (hours) and some side-issues were discovered... like a mariadb php5.4 issue hidden from end-user and not changeable.

So in all of this, I've also decided to look for another host. Why? because nothing could get any worse than this.

What I'm currently left with is a now 100% fresh 3.2.1 install with empty phpbb_ prefixed tables sitting in one DB, with a non-corrupt backup (whose tables have no prefix).

I'm "hoping" that someone could now possibly provide advice on how to merge the tables, without overwriting the new 3.2.1 table structure/data - because I am guessing that the table structure is different enough to cause big problems.

the huge plus, is that I have a bare, empty working 3.2.1 and none of those weird issues.

Back to your questions though:
1. yes I did run stk - after I made a backup, but not before I also uninstalled and deleted the mods through the acp.
I hope that removing the mods in the 'normal' way didn't affect stk.
I did follow the noxwizard upgrade bible - so process was the same from there on - moved the /files /images / store directories to a safe location (there are gigs of files and images, which have become difficult to manage)

Yes, I could have done some things better. Like not chosen 3.2 - except thats where I landed when I came to phpbb.com. maybe there needs to eb a huge red flag on the homepage warning 3.0 users....

tail between legs, I have a support ticket ro restore another copy of the sql backup into the second DB and hope that 3.0.14 will connect to that one without issue. if not, I am royally fkd. yippee! :shock:

Bear in mind I haven't lost any data - I hope. I have 3 sql backups, and would dearly love to be able to do this locally, but simply haven't got enough space on laptop or attached drives to create another vm.

thanks for the advice. Better go get me some religion - only thing that will fix this now is some belief in a higher being ;)

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:28 am

joeyb+1 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:01 am
1. yes I did run stk - after I made a backup, but not before I also uninstalled and deleted the mods through the acp.
I hope that removing the mods in the 'normal' way didn't affect stk.
So, if you ran the STK after you made the DB backup it is fine at this stage.

And yes, removing MODs using AutoMOD is not the way to go, due to known bugs with it.

The STK will clean the DB and removes any MOD/AutoMOD and SQL related stuffs from the DB, brings your board back to a virgin/vanilla 3.0.14 DB. As I said, if you have a backup (sane) done BEFORE to remove MODs within ACP/AutoMOD, you have chances.

On a side note, you don't need a VM (Virtual Machine) to work in local, just install a stack, I use EasyPhp, in my PC (local) I do have about 30 phpBB installations to use/test/switch from (starting from 3.0 to 3.2.1) ;)
1GB RAM PC will do, having Firefox and whatever you want opened at the same time as well.

There are Tutorials here about working on local stacks, which I don't have the links handy right now.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
✒️ Black Friday 2019 @ The Studio ▪️◾️

Puchahawa
Name: Randy

Post by Puchahawa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Think this is what you were referring to 3Di :) Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server
Avatar courtesy of artist Faith Coyotë

joeyb+1

Post by joeyb+1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Yes I remember xampp from years ago and apparently ther eis now mamp - I havent been a codewarrior since.... well codewarrior.
:/

Anyway, I was able to recover the DB. I bumped in an old install, and ran STK again It didn't detect anything except some missing tables, the anonymous user was not as it should have been.

I ran it about 3 times, as paranoia was kicking in. I then exported the db and ran it up on a clean 3.0.14 and suffice to say back on track.

now part 2 is underway and that is the reattempt on 3.2.1 on a copy taken directly from this running 3.0.14 into a fresh clean db.
so at least we're online, and secondly, we are able to test the migration locally.

Now to move on witht he more serious business of finding a better hosting service.... the support tickets were so slow in response I burned ⅔ of my time waiting on them. this could have been fixed in about 2-3 hours if I had a decent host support staff with basic skills.

feel free to drop me a recommendation/suggestion if you have one. for now, we have a clean db and a clean start.

joeyb+1

Post by joeyb+1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:17 pm

OK crisis averted. we have a completed working DB, but there were some module table entries which halted the db update several times.

nonetheless, all fixed now, just have an extra 3Gb of /files to copy over....

fingers crossed.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”