Your coding goofs?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Venice

Your coding goofs?

Post by Venice »

Mine? Deleting the skin on my JCink site while editing it. Good times!

How about you?? What is the silliest thing you have ever done.
AmigoJack

Re: Your coding goofs?

Post by AmigoJack »

If you see your case as coding: deleting a phpBB template file instead of its cache file, but that was always recoverable.
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

None-phpBB related(not even code related). I use mythtv PVR software. I was doing some maintenance. Made a copy of the current mysql db. Doing stuff to the db screwed up. Then for some reason I dropped the DB entries in the backup instead of the current, while preparing to copy over the backup. Luckily I have a backup script that runs every night, so I had a recent'ish backup file. But still really annoying. I now keep two live backups when working on the DB.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Haha... How about accidentally creating an alias to a folder, and then deleting the folder when deleting the alias? :roll:
david63

Post by david63 »

Going back many years I can recall deleting the config.bat file on the office PC which in those days was running DOS and the only way to get it back was recreate it by using "edlin" - for anyone who has never heard of edlin think yourselves lucky - try Googling it!
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

david63 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:14 pm edlin
Oh god, I thought I was the only one that remembered using that! :lol:
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

kinerity wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:58 pm
david63 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:14 pm edlin
Oh god, I thought I was the only one that remembered using that! :lol:
Started out with Windows 3.11 with Networking using NOVELL in middle school and the first year of high school. By my sophomore year they had switched over to Win95 and still using the NOVELL backend software. So yes I remember edlin and dBase III. We had dBase IV, but it didn't get installed till after I took my business classes. I actually "debugged" why the 5 1/4 drive wasn't "working". It needed to be on before the computer started. Though looking back I assume the teacher actually knew this was and was giving me something to do as I had gotten done with the work and was mostly sitting around bored.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

I know someone who had a 3.2.0 test forum, then converted the real forum to 3.2.0, and promptly deleted the wrong forum files from the server :oops: :oops:

Luckily the host had backups of the majority of attachments (or so I am told ;) :roll: )
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Still no actuall coding goof...
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Not coding goof but I got you all beat..... :lol:

Way back in ancient times say around '04 I reused a forum that I had stashed away and moved a bunch of topics into it. Unfortunately it had pruning enabled, think I was using it for classifieds previously. Of course all the posts got deleted in it and that's not the worse part. At the time I was religiously making backups once every couple of days.... the trouble is I made one after moving topics into this forum and deleted the old one.

By the time I realized what happened there was no chance of recovery. I lost about 1200 topic and this was at a time when I only had perhaps 5K of them total. To this day I'm always checking the prune box is not ticked even if it's brand new forum.

Lesson learned.... A nuclear bomb can hit the data center my server is in and at worst I'll lose an hour of data.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/automysqlbackup/

I have scheduled task on my local computer to FTP into the server and download the backups and new files. I'll also set aside archives of the uploaded files in case of corruption, e.g. the backup becomes corrupted. This is something a lot of people don't account for.

Suppose the files on the server become corrupted for whatever reason and you are not aware of it, if you download and overwrite your existing backup they are both toast.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
JEFFJOHNSON
I've Been Banned!

Post by JEFFJOHNSON »

I always forget to put the closing tags on the end of the HTML..

Return to “General Discussion”