[ABD] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Any abandoned Extensions will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Extension Development Forum rules

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Re: [BETA] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Post by JoshyPHP »

The website's code has changed. I'm going to update the definition for this new code but it will take a while for it to be effectively installed on your forums. Unfortunately there is no workaround at the moment.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
maco8024

Re: [BETA] s9e/mediaembed - Embed videos and third-party content without a single BBCode

Post by maco8024 »

Thank you, we will wait.
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Post by rxu »

While loading the media, why does it try to connect to s9e.github.io? And what for?
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

It hosts embeds that require some kind of script to be injected in the page, such as Twitter's.

https://github.com/s9e/s9e.github.io/tree/master/iframe
rxu
Extensions Development Team

Post by rxu »

Oh. Can it be an option to store them locally (to reduce connection time etc)?
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Not an option that I plan to add but theoretically, yes. You just have to edit the template of the relevant tag, e.g. $configurator->tags['twitter']->template
Bermudez
Name: Juan Antonio

Post by Bermudez »

But, does not already exist an extension like this in a definitive and validated version?
Here → phpBB Media Embed PlugIn
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Yes.
Bermudez

Post by Bermudez »

Then - without the intention of offending - why squander effort in accomplishing something that already exists?
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

This extension predates the other one by 3 years and started as a 3.1 extension. I assume the phpBB extension team wanted to have a nice extension to showcase phpBB 3.2. They didn't really waste any effort because the main functionality is provided by the same code in both extensions. What they added is in the form of user interface, which does not exist in this one. Overall, there is very little code duplication between the two.
Bermudez

Post by Bermudez »

OK.
Thank you very much for the clarification.
BioLogIn

Post by BioLogIn »

Hey JoshyPHP,

Would you be so kind to suggest why embedding this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
results in this error:
https://screenshots.firefox.com/ZKY9gW8 ... ighting.ru
?
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

I think you're supposed to publish the document. There's something in the file menu.
nikki605

Post by nikki605 »

What is the correct URL to use to embed this brightcove video: https://www.nascar.com/video/franchise/ ... 0001483288
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

nikki605 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:47 pm What is the correct URL to use to embed this brightcove video: https://www.nascar.com/video/franchise/ ... 0001483288
I have looked into this page and I can confirm that they use one kind of Brightcove player as their backend. However, this isn't something that can be determined solely by the URL, which means that the page's content has to be examined to find whether it contains a Brightcove embed and extract the relevant information from it.That's not something that could be applied globally because it would slow down every post that contains a URL, thus a special entry would have to be made for the Nascar site.

I will not be able to add this new site in the foreseeable future. If you want to sponsor its development and addition to this extension, you can send me a private message and I will walk you through it.

Return to “Abandoned Extensions”