Allow Site logo ( forum logo ) to be changed from ACP

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
KhurramMunawar
Name: Khurram Munawar

Allow Site logo ( forum logo ) to be changed from ACP

Post by KhurramMunawar »

This should be defualt feature in phpBB to allow the admins to change the site logo / forum logo / header logo from within the ACP.
Get Free Traffic To Your Website
Trafficonic.com - Free Traffic To Your Website
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Allow Site logo ( forum logo ) to be changed from ACP

Post by P_I »

I've never understood why this isn't already built into the phpBB core. Voted.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
rubencm
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Post by rubencm »

I can be useful also to be able to replace the rest of images too.
Galandas
Name: Rey

Post by Galandas »

voted, essential for perfect management.
English is not my native language My CDB Contributions My RC extensions
paul7289

Post by paul7289 »

It's a good idea. Because you do not often change the logo so it may not be so important. But it will help to make the software a bit more user-friendly.
Lady_G

Post by Lady_G »

Voted. If I can enter the site description, I should be able to add the site logo. I agree it will help to make the software more user-friendly.
SlobberySam

Post by SlobberySam »

Lady_G wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:42 am Voted. If I can enter the site description, I should be able to add the site logo. I agree it will help to make the software more user-friendly.
The site description is a dynamic setting stored in the database, whereas a site logo can literally be anything, dependent on the style. For example, some styles may have the "logo" image as /styles/style_name/theme/images/site_logo.png, some may have /styles/style_name/theme/headers/dashboard.jpg, et cetera.

This is something that should be done properly through the FTP in my opinion, or through an extension customized for your board. It doesn't need core implementation.
eeji

Post by eeji »

It's a thumbs down from me too for the same reason as above.
My phpBB styles: phpbbstyles.iansvivarium.com
My "board": iansvivarium.com
(yes, it's running phpBB!)
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

SlobberySam wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 pm
Lady_G wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:42 am Voted. If I can enter the site description, I should be able to add the site logo. I agree it will help to make the software more user-friendly.
The site description is a dynamic setting stored in the database, whereas a site logo can literally be anything, dependent on the style. For example, some styles may have the "logo" image as /styles/style_name/theme/images/site_logo.png, some may have /styles/style_name/theme/headers/dashboard.jpg, et cetera.

This is something that should be done properly through the FTP in my opinion, or through an extension customized for your board. It doesn't need core implementation.
So the implementation in ACP could/should allow the administrator to specific the path to their site logo. The logo dimensions could be auto-determined once the path is known and perhaps optional scaling or size parameters specified.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Name: Michael Miday

Post by Hanakin »

This is not straight forward it never is when dealing with assests. Exspecially going forward as we will be using an svg logo bye default. Not to mention handling responsiveness. The best you could hope for would be a feature that just replaces the current logo on the server with the one that you want. Adding in anything beyond that creates a nightmare to maintain and a feature that will cause countless issues with styles breaking when the admin trys to add a logo that does not work with said style. I suppose we could lock it down to only allowing svgs which would solve all the problems mentioned but people are then going to complain.

A better request is a custom header image as background images can be scaled to fit responsively very easily and are always jpgs which are easy to combine in large sizes.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

I actually like the idea of a "Site logo:" field being added to the board settings, along side the existing "Site name:" and "Site description:" fields.

The reason I like it is because it's exactly "the right amount" of effort that is typically desired or necessary for the level of customization someone wants to achieve on a given site. Someone who is looking to create a very immersive and customized style experience isn't going to be depending on this new setting we're talking about.

Those site owners who aren't technical and are saying "geez, I just wanted to specify the site logo, same as I'm able to specify the site name that displays right beside it", having a mechanism to do this "in most cases" without requiring intimate knowledge of anything (nor having to re-implement it whenever phpBB updates get applied and overwrites their customizations) seems right in line with making an intuitive in-box feature.

Yes, if someone throws a 1000x1000 image in there, "what happens" is going to depend on how the selected style decided to deal with max width, etc. Yes, someone can throw transparent and irregular things in there that might not work, or might not look right. But we're also saying for those "80%" of folks who just have a different and not-dissimilarly-sized image as the current style's default logo, this feature is going to work just fine for that majority.

Also keep in mind that a style is in no way "required" to support or utilize this if it's not appropriate for the style in question; i.e. same as no style is "forced" to actually reference or display the {SITENAME} or {SITE_DESCRIPTION} values, either. But any style that wants to, and any style that can (like proSilver), would reference and use the new {SITE_LOGO} as a potential source for the logo. Same as with {SITENAME} and {SITE_DESCRIPTION}, our hope is that most styles would support and use these fields, but ultimately that's up to the style.

So "supports Site Logo" would become an attribute mentioned for a style's capabilities in the future. And people could only expect the phpBB "Site logo:" configuration to be effective when they have selected a style that will actually consume the {SITE_LOGO} configuration. Which, whether they know it or not, is the same thing they're depending on with {SITENAME} and {SITE_DESCRIPTION}, too.

In short, make the configuration available in order to support the simple cases, which subjectively will also be the majority of cases. This won't prevent anyone from pursuing a more deeply customized style display when necessary, nor will it be a requirement that "every style must conform to this." Any style that wants to make the simple case simple would support the {SITE_LOGO} configuration, if it can.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

as for the responsive issue, currently if you replace the current logo with one of the same name it seems to already make it responsive just like the default one. maybe if it was extrememly oversized it might be a problem. I just did this on a board today. I renamed the customer's logo to the default of the style. it was 471x107 versus 140x60 for the default one. it rearranged everything it needed to and it also is responsive when you resize the browser window etc.

can't swear that prosilver does the same thing but elegance did.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
WainPetopia

Post by WainPetopia »

Voted. I believe it’s a core need of any site to display their own branding, and I can’t imagine why any site would want to display the phpBB logo, which implies they’re a phpBB discussion forum and is downright confusing to visitors. I believe it would be better to ship no logo at all than the current situation.

Place restrictions on the logo size if you need to, or just allow that administrators are going to be able to make changes that will mess with their board appearance (which they can already do in so many other ways). They can always realise their logo is the wrong size and change it back. It’s far better than the current situation of not being able to change it at all except by manually editing the style code every time the style is updated.
Last edited by WainPetopia on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

This had to be implemented years ago. I don't know why this is still not available :D Logo, background, forabg, colors etc... should all be manageable via ACP
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, under Olympus there has been the management of style components in the ACP. These have been abolished in the development phase and with the release of the final version Ascraeus (3.1.0 - October 2014). Abolished, because those components have never been firmly anchored in the database and there were arguments against catching up.
:?: Maybe it would be possible from today's point of view to take up the administration of the global graphic (site_logo) and reinvent it, rewrite it. At least from my point of view there are clues (see picture) which should not make an implementation via ACP impossible. :?:

olympusstylecomponents.png

Best regards

Edit:
The image size, the image format selectable was possible (Olympus). Why should it not be possible to bring the former approach to life and to integrate it without loss? I would be in favor and agree with advocates.
Best regards
phpBB3 Designs - My own works: Stylearea Ongray-Designs, Adventinducement-Calendar for phpBB

Return to “phpBB Ideas”