Opinions On Drugs

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

You know, some people cannot exist on this earth without drugs. I live with a severe disorder in my back, sometimes I can't get out of bed, I also suffer with migraines. The medication I take are drugs and expensive heavy duty drugs, recommended to only take for 3 weeks, but without them I'd be in far too much pain to imagine. My lower back goes into severe spasm and my spine gets twisted out of shape and it's painful believe me. I have a very small build, and every time I go pick up my prescriptions I am asked if I really take 2 pills 3 times a day because they are knockout muscle relaxers and I'm on the maximum dose.

I seen coffee mentioned in this thread, coffee is a stimulant, anyone who knows anything about Attention Deficit Disorder would realize that for those who suffer with it coffee is a great alternative to the drugs that are available for ADHD and are classified as narcotics and where I live you need a triple prescription to get it. I also suffer with ADHD along with my other disabilities and the one medication I take stops me from taking the meds for ADHD so I rely on coffee to keep my head clear. I can drink a pot of coffee and it will put me to sleep, unlike what it will do for most people. Chocolate is another stimulant which affects me different than it does most people.

Drinking leads to drinking and driving which leads to tragic deaths of many people, I was in a vehicle that was hit head on by a drunk driver. Luckily for us we all lived, but I went through years of seeing my mother suffer from her injuries of that accident. Alcohol is a poison, it's mean and malicious, and I've had my days of illegal drugs, gave them up and realized that I didn't want to live in the world of fantasy, it was time to wake up and smell the coffee.

What is considered a drug to one person can be considered a lifesaver to another. There are those who claim smoking pot for medicinal purposes should be legalized, at least where I live they want to do this. Personally, I don't agree for the most part that pot helps pain, I smoked it and all it did for me was make me hungry and fall asleep, never helped my pain management I believe the claims that it helps the severe asthmatic and I'd even accept that it would help the terminally ill, but I don't see it for those who claim it helps their chronic pain (far different than terminal), the chronic pain sufferers that turn to pot are mostly those who were already smoking it before their pain was chronic, they used it strictly to get stoned and I honestly believe the claims that it helps their pain is just an excuse to justify their use of illegal drugs. But of course that is just my opinion and we are all entitled to our opinions.
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Anaximander Thales wrote: So, what is the correct statement? "Children who use gateway drugs - tobacco, alcohol and marijuana - are up to 266 times as likely to use cocaine", or "Children who use all three are 77 times more likely to use cocaine."

I think the statement was saying if children took any single one of those, their chances are 266 times higher, while if they use all 3, it's 77 times higher; you're right though, the stats seem odd.

Like I said before, there most likely have been more studies done.
So, what you believe is that these people who start off smoking marijuana and go on to harder drugs would never do drugs - at all - if marijuana wasn't present?

That is the position that it seems you are taking.

No, I'm saying that a fraction, however large, of people who take marijuana go on to harder ones. I didn't however say that those who don't take marijuana don't do drugs at all.
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Anaximander Thales

Post by Anaximander Thales »

MennoniteHobbit wrote:
So, what you believe is that these people who start off smoking marijuana and go on to harder drugs would never do drugs - at all - if marijuana wasn't present?

That is the position that it seems you are taking.

No, I'm saying that a fraction, however large, of people who take marijuana go on to harder ones. I didn't however say that those who don't take marijuana don't do drugs at all.

Well, for marijuana to be a gateway drug, you would have to be able to take marijuana out and have a marked decrease in the number of new users of cocaine or other harder drugs.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball peen hammer.
Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Anaximander Thales wrote: Well, for marijuana to be a gateway drug, you would have to be able to take marijuana out and have a marked decrease in the number of new users of cocaine or other harder drugs.

To even look at that possibility, you would need to be able to "take marijuana out," and right there is the impossibility that renders this entire conversation moot.

Time has proven that in spite of increasingly tougher laws, drug usage in the United States continues to rise. There are 35 years worth of evidence to prove this; tougher laws do not stop people from doing drugs.
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Besides, tobacco and alcohol are "gateway drugs" too, and nobody's talking about banning them; we only restrict the places where you're allowed to use them (ie- not behind the wheel, not in the workplace, etc). As I said, there is a logical inconsistency in the position of anyone who would support banning marijuana but not tobacco, and the history of Prohibition shows us why drug bans can cause more problems than they solve.
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
donbon

Post by donbon »

from my own experience alcohol is the gateway drug, i was hammered drunk the first time i did coke, pills, etc.

its a case of supply and demand if people wanna do drugs people will be there to sell them. so its impossible to police

also not all hard drug users are junkies, many recreational drug users just like to party on the weekend. i can still hold down a job and i keep my drug use in check only doing it every month or so. I have done this for years im not on a downward spiral and id say i will grow out of it in the next few years, im just having alot of fun with it :P

just my 2 cents, not all drinkers are alcoholics not all drug users are addicts
Wicked12

marijuana vaporizer or herbal vaporizers

Post by Wicked12 »

What about the use of an herbal vaporizers An herbal vaporizer is used to vaporize herbs by heating it up just enough to extract the active elements in the herb without releasing smoke. Anyone have a comment on this?
Last edited by Wicked12 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
theknoll

Post by theknoll »

I have alot of experience with drugs im 26yrs old now and from 18-24 i took drugs everyday several times aday. I worked for my money, never stole anything, never ripped anyone off and ive not got a criminal record (the usual thoughts when it comes to a regular drug taker). Im not proud of what i did. Although i am in a way glad that i did it. Im not talking about cannabis here (i never liked that) and although i would never recommend drugs i can never say that i didnt enjoy myself. I do have alot of regrets mainly due to the amount of money that i spent and what i could have spent it on. I spent 80% of my weekly income on drugs, which at the time 80% was about £500. I started off just spending a few £'s a week.

If i were to explain my life as a drug taker most people would have thought how boring. I used take drugs when i woke up, i used to come at lunch time to take them and as soon as i finished work i was stratight back home. Then used to either stay in a take more or go to a mates and take it there. Or go to the pub.

I got off all drugs except cigarettes and the occasional pint 2 years ago. I started to realise that if i didnt do something that i would spend the rest of my life like this. I was also sick of lying, telling my mum and dad and the rest of the family that i had stopped when i hadnt. They were well aware that i hadnt.

It took a hell of alot of time to prove to them that i had stopped and even now, 2 years later, when ever im not feeling well or dont look well i can tell they are wondering if ive started again. I suppose ive got to expect that. My parents are as straight as they come they would have never ever suspected that there son would ever take drugs and it devasted them when they found out.

My opinion on this is people should be able to take what they want, when they want. Alot of people judge but 80% of those have never taken anything stronger than a cigarette. I dont feel that you can judge unless you have been there your self all you can do is express and uninformed opinion.
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

theknoll wrote: My opinion on this is people should be able to take what they want, when they want.

Because the problems created by outlawing them outweigh the benefits, or because you actually think that this is a good thing?
Alot of people judge but 80% of those have never taken anything stronger than a cigarette. I dont feel that you can judge unless you have been there your self all you can do is express and uninformed opinion.

Are you seriously suggesting that no one should ever judge the wisdom or morality of any act which he has not personally performed? Think carefully before you answer.
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
donbon

Re: marijuana vaporizer or herbal vaporizers

Post by donbon »

Wicked12 wrote: What about the use of an herbal vaporizers or one of these marijuana vaporizer. An herbal vaporizer is used to vaporize herbs by heating it up just enough to extract the active elements in the herb without releasing smoke. Anyone have a comment on this?

there expensive and only useful if you have access to good weed instead of solid, which is all you get here in ireland. also i wouldnt be too suprised if your post is considered spamming because of the links you included
Wicked12

Post by Wicked12 »

The message wasn't meant to spam but to see what others opinions were on this topic . If it was spam it would be in the signature, I want to hear peoples opinions
Mr. C
I've Been Banned!

Post by Mr. C »

Drugs are for losers who can't handle their problems in life, and need an easy way out.
_Korn

Post by _Korn »

and what do u think about marijuana? is it drug?
its not legelized in russia. (
Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

Mr. C wrote: Drugs are for losers who can't handle their problems in life, and need an easy way out.

:roll:
Wicked12

Post by Wicked12 »

MR C. I bet you classify that but you never even tried MJ. Someones watching too much TV. 8O I have no problems but enjoy the use of marijuana once a week as leisure. You probably drink alcohol because the "Law" said it was okay correct?

Return to “General Discussion”