Need Clarification on Webserver config & Apache 2.4

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Lon2

Need Clarification on Webserver config & Apache 2.4

Post by Lon2 »

Hello,

I need clarification on cache/, files/ and store/ folder permissions. I have two phpBB 3.1.11 versions, one with .htaccess files in the aforementioned 3 folders and one version (assuming later) without. I want to make sure I have them setup correctly now that I'm on Apache 2.4.25. The version with .htaccess files I believe has been updated from older versions. I noticed newer downloads don't have .htaccess files in those folders and the main/root .htaccess has "if Apache 2.4" statements. What would be the correct or best way to Deny access to these 3 folders with phpBB 3.1.11 on Linux with Apache 2.4.25?

Thank you!
6.ii. Webserver configuration
Depending on your web server, you may have to configure your server to deny web access to the cache/, files/, store/ and other directories. This is to prevent users from accessing sensitive files.

For Apache there are .htaccess files already in place to do this for you. Similarly, for Windows based servers using IIS there are web.config files already in place to do this for you. For other webservers, you will have to adjust the configuration yourself. Sample files for nginx and lighttpd to help you get started may be found in docs/ directory.
Lon2

Re: Need Clarification on Webserver config & Apache 2.4

Post by Lon2 »

Anyone? :(
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

There is a htaccess in the download package (Full Package)
So it is easy to compare.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Webserver config is beyond the scope of these forums.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Lon2 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:48 pm I noticed newer downloads don't have .htaccess files in those folders and the main/root .htaccess has "if Apache 2.4" statements. What would be the correct or best way to Deny access to these 3 folders with phpBB 3.1.11 on Linux with Apache 2.4.25?
You don't need to do anything as long there is the main/root/.htaccess file in place. As it is.

Try to browse to main/root/files/ and you will see.

You should get something like this: files/
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
david63

Post by david63 »

On a default installation those three folders should have both a .htaccess file and a index.htm file - if they are missing just copy them from one of the other folders.

Not have one, or both, of those files will not stop phpBB from running - they just add a level of security to prevent access to those folders.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”