SEO URLs

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
juliokr

SEO URLs

Post by juliokr »

It would be perfect if phpBB would give the possibility to choose between "standard URLs" and "SEO URLs" (or human readable URLs). Ideally the board admin can choose between both in the ACP so everybody would be satisfied. There is already one extension for this, but still in beta and probably not continued. In anyway URLs should never change so this feature might be a core feature and not a extension.
Ideally SEO URLs could look like this :
board.com/forum-title/post-title
Because it is possible that are more than 1 post with the same title SEO URLs could also look like in the mentioned extension example
board.com/forum-title-f22/post-title-t344.html
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: SEO URLs

Post by RMcGirr83 »

I'm failing to see what the benefit there is to this.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
david63

Post by david63 »

I have never had any issues with URLs and search engines so I am not sure what the benefit is.

If you want as a "cosmetic" feature then that is a different issue to which I am totally indifferent. As far as I am aware very few people ever look at URLs when they are browsing through a site.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
PhilDiscuss

Post by PhilDiscuss »

This is on active extension development. Now on testing phase.
Last edited by PhilDiscuss on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professionally develop phpBB Premium Style and Extension.

The Philippines Discussions Website
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:10 pm I'm failing to see what the benefit there is to this.
Consider organizing your content so that URLs are constructed logically and in a manner that is most intelligible to humans(when possible, readable words rather than long ID numbers). For example, if you're searching for information about aviation, a URL like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation will help you decide whether to click that link. A URL like http://www.example.com/index.php?id_sez ... f849f730f1, is much less appealing to users.
https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... 6329?hl=en
david63 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:19 pm I have never had any issues with URLs and search engines so I am not sure what the benefit is.
I use since ever seourl's (by using mod or extension) and my forum is very often on the first page (even number 1) in Google search results of relevant researches.
I agréée I can not know where it would be with vars urls, but this is also true for the opposite

But as mentioned in my first post in any way no body should be forced to use them but to offer a choice (like in Wordpress CMS and 99% of other bb softwares and CMS)
david63

Post by david63 »

juliokr wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:42 pm I use since ever seourl's (by using mod or extension) and my forum is very often on the first page (even number 1) in Google search results of relevant researches.
As is mine without using SEOURLs
David

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

david63 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:53 pm As is mine without using SEOURLs
So what's your problem with this feature ? Why do you think phpBB users should not have the choice ?
I never made pages without seoURLs you never with ! So we both will never know what would happen if ...
david63

Post by david63 »

I do not have a problem with it - I just do not see it as something that is necessary.
juliokr wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:05 pm So we both will never know what would happen if
What I do know is that I am unable to improve my position in the search rankings by doing anything else - when you are at the top there is no improvement to be made.

The problem with SEOURLs is that some people believe them to be an instant panacea to getting high rankings in the search engines, which is not true - that come with one thing, and on thing only - content.
David

juliokr

Post by juliokr »

david63 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:12 pm The problem with SEOURLs is that some people believe them to be an instant panacea to getting high rankings in the search engines, which is not true
People believe a lot of things, some even believe that they have to pay for to get a good ranking, so it's not the problem of CMS developers.
david63 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:12 pm hat come with one thing, and on thing only - content.
It's true content is most important but how should people who will write "good interesting" content find your board if it has very bad ranking. Or do you write your posts only by yourself ? Than it would be better to make a Blog (which are in general better "noted" by search engines) not a forum
Highgirl

Post by Highgirl »

Ideas Bot wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:31 pm URLs should never change so this feature might be a core feature and not a extension.
I agree 100% this the feature wich is realy badly missing on phpBB software
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

I'd rather see this as an extension by someone is who passionate/enjoys what heshe is coding and not having to bother,poke or rush dev team with something like this.
why because it may come out looking like the /app/ deal seen in the current software-- ugly af.
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

Peter77sx wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:02 pm I'd rather see this as an extension by someone is who passionate/enjoys what heshe is coding and not having to bother,poke or rush dev team with something like this.
why because it may come out looking like the /app/ deal seen in the current software-- ugly af.
Sorry I tried even tried with Google translate to understand your comment. Please let me know if any argument is in your post so that I can be able to answer. kind regards
ZNC

Post by ZNC »

I'm using phpBB to get my partner's dead forum back on track and I'm also a member of our forum. Currently I deal thematically with phpBB and Urls.

For me personally, "SEO Url" is a term that shifts the perspective of human being for whom the content is intended, to something technically abstract (which may be necessary). As a member of our forum I wrote in 2015 a informative post about the "Atlantic herring (Clupea harengus)" in german and another language.

I believe, if someone would notice this link, then certainly not in the form of
"www . xyz . de/viewtopic.php?f=1274&t=21".

I think more likely in form of
"xyz.de Atlantic herring"
and that's how we humans are, that's how we think.

Recently, I have completly reinstalled our forum and copied some old content into the fresh new tables. The IDs now have changed. All links to the former contents are now for the garbage. That may happen rarely, but also an aspect for "semantic urls" or "talking urls" or "HRU (human readable URL)", whatever it is called.

In this context, I would use also "SEO Urls", if it exists in phpBB version 3.2 and so I agree with this phpBB idea.

PS: I apologize if I have errors in my english
juliokr

Post by juliokr »

By the way : Why does phpbb.com use url_rewriting (seoURL, or humain readable url) for the page ideas ideas if it is worth for nothing ????
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

PhilDiscuss wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:33 pm This is on active extension development. Now on testing paste.
I would caution anyone about using such an extension. It's not whether it's good, bad or otherwise... It's the maintenance of it. This is something to very carefully consider before you implement it because it has long term ramifications. When the extension breaks and something like this inevitably will you are left waiting for an update and if the author is no longer developing it that can be a major issue. This is especially true from one major version of phpBB to the next.

The other issue is if phpBB ever does implement friendly URL's (not holding my breath) then you are going to be stuck redirecting the old ones to the new ones if they are not using the same format or don't have the means for you customize them.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “phpBB Ideas”