Disapearing attachments after update to 3.2.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
thecaretaker1

Disapearing attachments after update to 3.2.2

Post by thecaretaker1 »

What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? https://www.thecaretakers.co.uk/phpBB3
Who do you host your board with? Zen (Linux shared hosting)
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes (but attachments currently turned off)
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.1
What extensions do you have installed?

24 hour activity stats
Antispam by CleanTalk
Board Announcements
Button menu
Calendar in Posting
Confirm Email
Copyright in footer
Custom Registration Agreement
Default Avatar
External Links Open in New Window
File Download
Forum Icons Extended
Header Banner
Hide Bots
Last Post Avatar
Lightbox
Newest members
PM REG Notify
Poster IP in Viewtopic
Pretty Topic
Private Message Box Status Bars
Profile side switcher
Recent Topics
smilies scroll box
Thanks for posts
Topic Age Day
Topic age warning
Vector Icons

What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev/PHP Version 5.6.32
What is your level of experience? Experienced with PHP and phpBB Limited
What actions did you take (updating your board)? Backed up all files, MySQL database. Used auto update zip files/ uploaded changed files and updated database. Removed install folder.

Problem: Users can upload attachments fine, but if they preview or submit the post, all but 1 attachment has vanished and it says the attachment "name of file" cannot be found (or similar). Only the first attachment uploaded is displayed and remains in the attachment list and showing inline.

Things I've tried to fix this: I restored previous backed up files and reverted back to previous database backup. Checked it was working. Tried installing phpbb3 3.2.2 update again. I had to add mysqli to the config file to prevent the timeout error. All appeared to go well. Checked permissions of files folder (777), checked cookie settings, checked htaccess files were the same as previously, Still not working. So I overwrote phpbb3 files with a fresh download of full package (keeping original config.php, files, images and vendor folders). Carried out install again. Deleted install and cleared cache. Tested again, still has problem.

I have turned off attachments until I can find a fix. Deleted all attachments in files folder and removed all attachments listed in Manage Attachments in ACP. Did test again after clearing everything, but still occurring, so left attachments turned off.

Everything was working fine before update.

Any ideas?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Disapearing attachments after update to 3.2.2

Post by stevemaury »

How did you do the update? What instructions did you follow?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
thecaretaker1

Post by thecaretaker1 »

stevemaury wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 pm How did you do the update? What instructions did you follow?
The same way I have done for years, used the auto update method (twice) and then a manual install of the full phpbb package and install (keeping config.php file and files, store, vendor files) as per this sites instructions. Neither method fixed my problem. Never had a problem before.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Also here, no mention of disabling extensions before updating.
I'm not saying that that is the origing of the problem cause, but it's one less thing which can cause hickups when extension are disabled (and perhaps even temporarily removed).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
thecaretaker1

Post by thecaretaker1 »

OK, I disabled all extensions and carried out another update. Still problem persists.

This is what is happening... First, I add 4 attachments to a post
The attachment 1.JPG is no longer available
Then I click Preview to see the result. All images show in the preview but are missing at the bottom in the attachment section at the bottom apart from the first attachment I uploaded.
The attachment 2a.JPG is no longer available
Then, if I preview again (or post) I get the following errors show up as the attachment files have disappeared.
3a.JPG
thecaretaker1

Post by thecaretaker1 »

See post above, this forum has the same problem. It is obviously something wrong with the phpbb update.

I'll do that post again but host the images on my own site.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I disabled all extensions and carried out another update. Still problem persists.

This is what is happening... First, I add 4 attachments to a post

------------------------------------------------------------------------ bottom of image-----------------------------------

Then I click Preview to see the result. All images show in the preview but are missing at the bottom in the attachment section at the bottom apart from the first attachment I uploaded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ bottom of image-----------------------------------

Then, if I preview again (or post) I get the following errors show up as the attachment files have disappeared.

Last edited by thecaretaker1 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarantino

Post by Tarantino »

I had the same problem when I update a 3.1.6 forum to 3.2.1. Some files were deleted from the server and some topics have now missing attachments :(
EDIT: For what I've read on your last comment, my problem is similar but not equal after all, but it can be related.
thecaretaker1

Post by thecaretaker1 »

This must be a bug with phpbb as it just did the same on this forum. I am amazed nobody has reported it yet. Can you let whoever needs to know look into it? :oops:
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

thecaretaker1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:29 pm Well begger me, this forum has the same problem.
Report it to bug-tracker.

"Previewing new post empties attachment list of all but first attachment"
Tarantino

Post by Tarantino »

Yup. I've tested on a clean 3.2.2, the bug you are talking about here DO exist on a clean install!
thecaretaker1

Post by thecaretaker1 »

Brf wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:33 pm
thecaretaker1 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:29 pm Well begger me, this forum has the same problem.

Could somebody do that for me? I don't have a clue where that is or how to do it.
Tarantino

Post by Tarantino »

Brf wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:33 pm

Yeah, I'll do that. Maybe the OP doesnt know how to do it. :)
thecaretaker1

Post by thecaretaker1 »

Thank you Tarantino, much appreciated. I'll have to keep an eye out for a fix.
Tarantino

Post by Tarantino »

It was reported here: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15506

You can I guess login there with the same login as this forum I beleive and you can follow the problem. So you can receive an email when there is news about it ;)
thecaretaker1

Post by thecaretaker1 »

Thanks again.

If it helps anyone, the files still exist in the files folder. They are just not showing in the posting page. They don't show up as orphaned files either, so can't delete the missing images that way. I just had to delete them manually via ftp.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”