Upgrading/Updating and extensions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Upgrading/Updating and extensions

Post by warmweer »

It's clearly stated in the Upgrade documents that extensions should be disabled before upgrading.
Nothing is mentioned about extensions in the update documents.

My advice to disable extensions when updating is (inherently) not incorrect, but is perhaps absolutely unnecessary.
My stance however remains to limit as much as possible the factors which may influence a process as delicate as an update/upgrade.
RMcGirr83 stated that disabling extensions is NOT necessary for an update.
As long as the extension system is not touched by the update, I see no immediate reason to disagree with this but what if there is a change (no matter if it's only a slight change)? Does this still apply or does this change that "update" into an upgrade?

Is there an official statement somewhere about extensions and updating?
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Upgrading/Updating and extensions

Post by HiFiKabin »

Not an official statement, but my 2c worth.

Depending on the extension, how it works and how it hooks into the board software there MAY be a change in the later release that breaks the extension (or more accurately the extension breaks the forum)

Is it likely? Probably not. Is it possible? Almost certainly.

Do I disable extensions when updating? Usually not.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

HiFiKabin wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:21 pm Not an official statement, but my 2c worth.
2c banked ;)
Thanks for a clear answer.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

I have a quick question. If I upgrade my forum to phpbb 3.2.8, but some of my extensions do not say that they have been tested to work with 3.2.8, then after I do the upgrade, will the extensions most likely work anyway? I know there's no guarantee, but will the balance of probability be on my side? More likely than not, the extensions will still work right? The thing is, most extensions do not say that they have been tested to make sure they are 3.2.8 compatible, so I know this is going to be a calculated risk. So I wanted to know if the odds are in my favor? Thanks.
david63

Post by david63 »

I am not aware of any extensions that worked on 3.2.7 that do not work on 3.2.8 - that is not to say that there aren't any.

I have well over 200 extensions installed on a test board and none of them are a problem with 3.2.8.

You will be more likely to encounter problems with extensions when you upgrade to phpBB 3.3
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

WWu777 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:09 am So I wanted to know if the odds are in my favor? Thanks.
Actually, if you look at the number of available 3.2 extensions (and what the latest versions is), I'ld say the odds are not in your favor. As david63 mentioned, if the update is from 3.2.7 to 3.2.8 The probability of encountering a problem is very slim. If your current version in 3.2.4 (for example) then I do foresee a couple of nonfunctional extensions.

However there's no risk if you've test-updated on a copy of your board before doing the live update.
Also disabling the extensions before updating and then reenabling those the suspect ones, 1 by 1 will allow easier recovery than just updating with all extensions enabled.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

warmweer wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:28 amdisabling the extensions before updating and then reenabling
For the time it takes to disable & re-enable an extension it’s better, imho, to disable any extensions to be certain that no conflicts occur during an update or upgrade.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

@warmweer:

Well actually I upgraded from 3.2.2 to 3.2.8. So it's a big jump. :D

However, I see now that after the upgrade, in the extensions panel, the extensions that are incompatible are marked in red. So I guess the ACP automatically lets you know which extensions are incompatible and need to be upgraded.

So I should just delete those extension files and replace them with the upgraded versions? Without deleting the data right? Why doesn't the data need to be deleted too?

Also, what if the extension is marked in red as incompatible, but the author of the extension didn't update their extension? Should I just not use it then? What if it still appears to work ok? Would it be worth it to take the risk of continuing to use it if it seems to work fine?

Thanks again for your help.
Last edited by Mick on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

WWu777 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 amwhat if the extension is marked in red as incompatible, but the author of the extension didn't update their extension? Should I just not use it then?
That’s completely up to you so long as you realise the dangers. If the author isn’t responding you could always test a local version first.
    " - Harmony Cobel
david63

Post by david63 »

WWu777 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 am the extensions that are incompatible are marked in red
No they are not necessarily "incompatible" - that is just saying that there is a newer version.
WWu777 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 am So I should just delete those extension files and replace them with the upgraded versions?
No - you should disable the extension before deleting the files.
WWu777 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:07 am Why doesn't the data need to be deleted too?
Because you will loose any settings that the extension has added.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

@David63:

Ok but you have to delete the files before replacing them right? You can't just overwrite the files of the extension with the new ones right?

Well it seems that most of the extensions do not say they are compatible with 3.2.8. Some are only up to 3.2.7. So I guess the risk of using them is minimal right?

I did find one extension that's not compatible with 3.2.8. The media plug in extension here:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... ediaembed/

After I upgraded to 3.2.8 it caused a ton of error messages to appear and crash the forum. So I had to disable it. However, the page above does show a newer version of the media plug in, so I will try to install it and hope it works with 3.2.8.
Last edited by Mick on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quoting.
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Quick question:

If you don't delete the data from the extensions when you disable and delete the extension files, then isn't there a small risk that when you install the new extension files, that the data may not be compatible with the new extension files? Even a small risk? If so, what would happen? Would the extension crash or the forum crash, or would the data just be wiped and recreated? I assume the risk is too low to be considered right? And in the worst case scenario, the data would simply be wiped and recreated right?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

In the case you describe above that extension would not have passed validation so not appear in the CDB. If its an 'In Development' extension yes there is a small risk but any competent developer would have check that in testing.

In theory I suppose that there is a chance that might happen, but if you follow the upgrade instructions EXACTLY you will not have a problem (some extensions have instructions specific to that extension. READ THEM)

The main thing to remember is Backup Backup and Backup. If for whatever reason things go wrong you will always have a working backup to restore and recover your board.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

And, you can always check with the extension author in the dedicated discussion/support topic for the extension.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”