BBCodes 3.2.0/3.2.1/3.2.2 Now Disfunctional (Yet Worked Before 3.2)

Get help developing custom BBCodes or request one.
Selective

BBCodes 3.2.0/3.2.1/3.2.2 Now Disfunctional (Yet Worked Before 3.2)

Post by Selective »

I already reported this bug here, but since most may overlook those reports, I'm just sharing this info here to let everyone know.

I found this bug in version 3.2.1 (Might be in 3.2.2 also)

UPDATE: Others now reporting the bug in versions (3.2.0-a1/3.2.0/3.2.1/3.2.2)

I guess I'll go ahead and update to 3.2.2 but I'm sure the bug hasn't been fixed yet, so either way, I'll have to wait.

After you do a fresh new install (or use the one you have now), go to
ACP > Posting > BBCodes > Add a new BBCode >

and add two BBCodes, where they are both the same, but one of them has an ( = ) to be used.

Like this...

Then go to your forum and test them both on the same page! The one with the ( = ) somehow deactivates/cancels the other.

Yet, the preset hard coded BBCodes work ???

Once you see you have the bug in your forum also, you can go to my report page here to vote on the bug to be fixed. Also, if you have another version of phpBB and see the bug, post here what version you have, so I can update that bug report. Thanks.
Last edited by Selective on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selective

Re: Look At What I Found! Did Anyone Else Catch This?

Post by Selective »

[3.x] Ticket
PHPBB3-15444 - Merge duplicate BBCodes via a migration
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 26&t=52566
Nov 08, 2017

New BBCode engine ignores BBCodes with the same base tag
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-14357
Created: 14/Dec/15
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

There are several posts by JoshyPHP where he explains how to set up a bbcode with optional arguments.

Search
Selective

Post by Selective »

Brf wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:23 pm There are several posts by JoshyPHP where he explains how to set up a bbcode with optional arguments.

Search
Why didn't you tell me that was a solution, a fix, a work around that works? I would have looked at it much sooner.

Thanks, those will work now!

When is 3.2.3 going to be released though, because there's a rumor that it will have a working BBCode engine, yet no one has confirmed it yet, and since 3.2.2 was just released with a broken BBCode engine that has been broken since it was first reported in 3.2.0 in December of 2015, I'm not sure if it will happen.

Also, what does the BBCode engine look like and where is it located? Can't we just swap it out with one from a phpBB install from before 3.2.x ?

If there's a new BBCode engine that works, why do we have to wait at all for 3.2.3 ? We should just get the new BBCode engine now, since it has been broken for so long.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You could offer your services to the devs if things aren’t moving quickly enough for you, I’m sure they’d welcome some extra coding help.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Selective

Post by Selective »

Selective wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:48 pm
Brf wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:23 pm There are several posts by JoshyPHP where he explains how to set up a bbcode with optional arguments.

Search
Why didn't you tell me that was a solution, a fix, a work around that works? I would have looked at it much sooner.

Thanks, those will work now!
:( I spoke too soon.

It did make the link look like it worked, and it did act as a link, but while the one with the ( = ) went to the actual website link that was posted, the other without the ( = ) just opened the same forum page in a new window instead of going to the website it was supposed to go to.
Selective

Post by Selective »

Mick wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:47 am You could offer your services to the devs if things aren’t moving quickly enough for you, I’m sure they’d welcome some extra coding help.
How can we ask them or offer them anything when they refuse to talk to anyone one on one. I thought phpBB had a policy about not talking to them at all, and that we were not welcomed to initiate any conversations with them. Remember?

Anyway, I still have a working and functioning 3.0.12 version that I can pull good code from and insert into my new 3.2.1 forum. So can anyone tell me what the BBCode engine looks like and where it is located? If so, I could then locate it in both versions and compare them to figure out what the problem is and fix it.
david63

Post by david63 »

The bbcode engine changed dramatically between 3.0 and 3,2. The 3.2 one can be found in vendor/s9e
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Selective wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:10 pm
How can we ask them or offer them anything when they refuse to talk to anyone one on one. I thought phpBB had a policy about not talking to them at all, and that we were not welcomed to initiate any conversations with them. Remember?
Can you direct me to the source of such a policy? Also, can you give me any instances where you attempted to communicate with Team members to offer coding support and were rebuffed? I will look into it.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Selective wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:10 pm How can we ask them or offer them anything when they refuse to talk to anyone one on one. I thought phpBB had a policy about not talking to them at all, and that we were not welcomed to initiate any conversations with them.
It is considered rude to ask for personal, "one on one" support via personal messaging. No one would call a lawyer's office to ask them how to contest a parking ticket and expect a response.

I have read this topic before and did not reply for two reasons: the first is that everything was posted as images, which means nothing can be copy/pasted. The second is that you made several stupid, ignorant statements that I'd rather ignore than debunk.

If you post actionable information as text, I'll consider looking into it. That means the full BBCode definition, actual post content, expected output and actual output.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
Selective

Post by Selective »

david63 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:02 pm The bbcode engine changed dramatically between 3.0 and 3,2. The 3.2 one can be found in vendor/s9e
Thanks, you're a big help.

I already identified the problem causing the bug in the Optional argument. In the code, there is a piece of script blocking the use of http and https in the {URL} command.

I tried using the BBCode above again without the http/https, just starting with www. That didn't work either and actually triggered both of them (with = and without = ) to fail and open only the same window instead of the url location.

So the piece of code we are looking for, has something to do with blocking http/https somewhere in the script, but only for the one without an = on it.

UPDATE: We now know exactly what we are looking for. We are looking for a forward slash /

I changed my BBCodes to

Code: Select all

[urlpop]{URL}[/urlpop]

<a target="pop" href="https://{URL}">{URL}</a>
and

[urlpop={URL;optional}]{TEXT}[/urlpop]

<a target="pop" href="https://{URL}">{TEXT}</a>
Then tried using them with links that just began with www.

The one with the = worked again, but now when we hover over the link without the = we can see in the bottom left that it added an extra forward slash, and that is what has been causing it to mess up, not work.

It might take awhile to figure out which forward slash in the script is causing it. I think I know which page it is on, but not exactly sure just yet.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

So, you didn't read the topics you were linked to:
You can't have two different (custom) BB-Codes with the same name.

You need to join both of your bbcodes (the one with = and the one without =) into one code, as it is described here viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2444426&p=1485938 ... #p14859386
Nothing to struggle in the vendor folder.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
Selective

Post by Selective »

canonknipser wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:17 am So, you didn't read the topics you were linked to:
You can't have two different (custom) BB-Codes with the same name.

You need to join both of your bbcodes (the one with = and the one without =) into one code, as it is described here viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2444426&p=1485938 ... #p14859386
Thanks for pointing that out. The first link only showed the basic info, and didn't have any other information about it. It seemed pretty simple enough. It would have been more professional for someone to actually create a topic to mention exactly what it is in detail and to give several working examples of it. Neither of those exist, as the search only returned people asking scattered questions caused by the lack of information.

I've made about 60 BBCodes, so I have much to work with.

Seems like no one is really posting answers because there are none or not any easy ones at least.

If I set up a pop url link in a BBCode, originally the two would like like this

[urlpop]{URL}[/urlpop]
and

[urlpop={URL}]{TEXT}[/urlpop]
So the problem with doing the optional xsl code, is that the xsl code requires the {URL} to stay in the same place, not to switch places. Then adding {TEXT} where one of the {URL} tags would be in the other, is a huge problem in that script.

So let's say we skip that and move on, because no one will probably ever figure that one out.

If I ignore the code without an = sign, and only use the code with an = sign, and without using the optional xsl code, I still get the same results in most situations. Like this one for example.

[bandcamp={TEXT}]{SIMPLETEXT}[/bandcamp]
If I do or do not add anything behind the = sign, the BBCode still works regardless. The only real problem then is that the BBCode button has an = sign on it, which makes the buttons take up more space and doesn't look so nice on the posting page.

I can see how the optional xsl code can be used in some small situations, but if it still leaves the = sign on the BBCode buttons, then it isn't that much of an improvement, especially when that code also has limited functions.

To me, it just seems much easier to hack apart the phpBB script to find out what the designers broke when they decided to fix something that was never broken in the first place.

Since the optional xsl code can't do anything for popup links, I am just going to use these for now.

[pop-url]{URL}[/pop-url]

<a target="pop" href="{URL}">{URL}</a>
and

[pop-txt={URL}]{TEXT}[/pop-txt]

<a target="pop" href="{URL}">{TEXT}</a>
I'll continue looking for a solution, but I stay busy with other things, so not sure when I'll post on this again. I can see that many of you are all tired, depressed, and feeling very rundown and exhausted about all of this. I guess I would be too if it had been ignored since it was first reported in December of 2015 and it was caused by someone thinking they could fix something that wasn't broken.

:(
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

What about something like [urlpop]{url},{text;optional}[urlpop] with {text} as optional parameter?

And to be honest, your topic title is not very helpful - maybe a "[3.2.2]BB-Codes no longer work as expected" would be better next time

Yes, you got a point with the missing or incomplete documentation, but that's often the problem with software written by volunteers (but i've seen it by professionals also).

Sometimes there is only the "trial and error"-way. But you are free to share you experience and add some parts to the documentation https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... g_bbcodes/
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Return to “Custom BBCode Development and Requests”