update error 3.2.1 - 3.2.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
newsmedia
Name: Keith

update error 3.2.1 - 3.2.2

Post by newsmedia »

I am puzzled as to why you continue with an update release that has obvious flaws, visible by the numbers reporting the same issue.

I have a standard installation of phpbb. Using the automatic update package and attempting to upgrade constantly produces the timeout error:
The installer detected a timeout
The installer has detected a timeout, you may try to refresh the page, which may lead to data corruption. We suggest that you either increase your timeout settings or try to use the CLI.
rendering my board totally unuseable, not matter what I try.

CLI - whatever that is, is not an option for me with no access to php root.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: update error 3.2.1 - 3.2.2

Post by Kailey »

newsmedia wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:51 am I have a standard installation of phpbb. Using the automatic update package
If you have a standard installation of phpBB (no modifications to core files), why are you using the automatic update package? Try uploading the FULL phpBB 3.2.2 package and run the Database Only update.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Have you applied the changes mentioned in Known issues in 3.2.2?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
newsmedia

Post by newsmedia »

yes I applied the 'fixes' with no change.

There is no option to update the database.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
newsmedia

Post by newsmedia »

Further to this post: on logging in to my board as admin:
We noticed that the last update of your phpBB installation hasn’t been completed. Visit the database updater, ensure Update database only is selected and click on Submit.
Clicking the database updater link simply open install/app.php/update - there is no option to select update database - only a full update which just reverts back to the same update error.

Given all this and no fix I am now minded to permanently remove phpbb.
newsmedia

Post by newsmedia »

UPDATE

OK - I logged out, changed the config.php content MySQLto MySQLi- reran the upgrade and it worked OK.

Then changed the config.php back to MySQL.

However, surely this should not be necessary ????
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo »

Why the change back to MySQL?
My extensions for phpBB: CDB
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
newsmedia

Post by newsmedia »

Crizzo wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:33 pm Why the change back to MySQL?
mainly because the original installation was MySQL, but also to see what happened. As all seems OK - will leave it at MySQL for now :)
Crizzo
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo »

That is only the connection method. Just use MySQLi, which is supported by PHP 7.0 and higher. Which MySQL is not. ;)

See the warning: http://php.net/manual/en/mysql.requirements.php
My extensions for phpBB: CDB
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
newsmedia

Post by newsmedia »

Crizzo wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:48 pm That is only the connection method. Just use MySQLi, which is supported by PHP 7.0 and higher. Which MySQL is not. ;)
Thanks for that - am not great on the vagaries of MySQL. Will change it back to MySQLi and leave it as so.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

newsmedia wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 pm
Crizzo wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:33 pm Why the change back to MySQL?
mainly because the original installation was MySQL, but also to see what happened. As all seems OK - will leave it at MySQL for now :)
If you want some background, read PHP: Overview of the MySQL PHP drivers - Manual. Definitely recommend using mysqli in config.php
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
~Sentinel~

Post by ~Sentinel~ »

I just ran into an almost similar problem. It seems as though the server on one of the boards I admin was running php 5.4. No where in the update did it say that 5.6 was necessary before doing this update. Since I never had a problem before I just updated the usual way and got the database error. After reading this I edited my config.php file to add the "i" to the end of MySQL and it worked like a charm. I also changed the server to php 5.6 afterward.

I really think that a good idea would be to put at the top of the instructions that this new version requires that you have php 5.6 or higher before beginning the update. Seeing the number of posts about this and assuming that there are a bunch more that are not posting, it would seem a prudent thing to do.
Had I seen a warning like that I would have checked the server first and found that I was lacking, updated the server to 5.6 before performing the update, and then do the update.

But here's a quick question if I may ... since my original config had MySQL (with no "i") is there any danger to putting the "i" in there? Could putting an i in there screw anything up since it originally had no "i"?

Thanks for this topic by the way. It was a life saver.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by Kailey »

~Sentinel~ wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:26 pm But here's a quick question if I may ... since my original config had MySQL (with no "i") is there any danger to putting the "i" in there? Could putting an i in there screw anything up since it originally had no "i"?
No, the i stands for improved. You shouldn't notice any difference as far as functionality.

~Sentinel~

Post by ~Sentinel~ »

Thank you. Very much appreciated.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”