3.0x to 3.22 without access to old board

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Emery

3.0x to 3.22 without access to old board

Post by Emery »

Hi guys. My old 3.0x board finally died on Godaddy Classic Hosting after about 11 years of life. Godaddy had me move to a new Cpanel hosting environment that has the latest versions of things. I can't get into my old 3.0x board anymore to "deactivate all styles except prosilver" per the instructions, because that board died. Is there a way to install 3.22 onto my new platform at Godaddy, and somehow import the database from my old 3.0x installation?

Thanks.

-Emery
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: 3.0x to 3.22 without access to old board

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

as long as you have a backup of the old 3.0 database, that is all you need for the upgrade.

you will most likely need to get a copy of 3.0.14 from here: https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... 3.0.14.zip
unzip it to your computer.

using your ftp, upload the resultant phpBB3 folder to your new server.
then, from your server control panel, create a new blank database and user and add that user to the new database with all privileges.

then, using phpmyadmin from your hosting control panel, import the old database from your computer to the new blank database.
edit your config.php file using this: Knowledge Base - Rebuilding Your config.php File
now, access your newboard: yourdomain.com/yournew3.0.14board/install/database_update.php
let that run. now you should have a brand new 3.0.14 board with all the old members, posts, forums, etc.

now you can start the upgrade process to get to3.2 by following the instructions here:

viewtopic.php?p=14611286#p14611286

lluck,
rob ert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Emery, what do you mean by it died? You are getting errors trying to access it? White screen?
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Emery

Post by Emery »

Thanks so much Rob. So after following your instructions and running database_update.php, I get this:

Updating database to latest stable release

Database type :: mysqli
Previous version :: 3.0.14
Updated version :: 3.0.14

Updating database schema
Progress :: No updates required
Updating data
Progress :: No updates required
Updating version and optimising tables

Progress :: . . Done
Result :: Some queries failed, the statements and errors are listed below.

Error :: Table 'caforumdb.phpbb_users' doesn't exist
SQL :: UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_permissions = '', user_perm_from = 0

This is probably nothing to worry about, update will continue. Should this fail to complete you may need to seek help at our support forums. See README for details on how to obtain advice.

Update completed

Please make sure you have updated your board files too, this file is only updating your database.

You should now login to your board and check if everything is working fine. Do not forget to delete, rename or move your install directory!

When I click the "login to your board" link, I get this error:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table 'caforumdb.phpbb_users' doesn't exist [1146]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

Any ideas?
Emery

Post by Emery »

Hi Coalman. The board started throwing up some sort of SQL error whenever you tried to access it. Perhaps the PHP version on the classic hosting platform was too old. Can't remember what the exact error was, though.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Table 'caforumdb.phpbb_users' doesn't exist [1146]
Is that table in your database?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Emery wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:31 am Hi Coalman. The board started throwing up some sort of SQL error whenever you tried to access it. Perhaps the PHP version on the classic hosting platform was too old. Can't remember what the exact error was, though.
You should have searched for the error and if you couldn't find the information on it posted it here. That's valuable information for someone trying to diagnose your problem.

Code: Select all

Previous version :: 3.0.14
Updated version :: 3.0.14
That indicates you ran the update script for 3.0.14 on board already updated to 3.0.14. This isn't necessarily going to cause any problems but it isn't going to do anything either.

Code: Select all

Error :: Table 'caforumdb.phpbb_users' doesn't exist
SQL :: UPDATE phpbb_users SET user_permissions = '', user_perm_from = 0
As the poster asked above does this table exist? You need to go into your hosting control panel, find phpMyadmin. Open the database caforumdb and there should be a table there named phpbb_users.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Emery

Post by Emery »

Looks like the table is not there. If table(s) are missing, is database toast? Or is there some way to repair?

Thanks for the help.

-Emery
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Emery wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:36 pm Looks like the table is not there. If table(s) are missing, is database toast? Or is there some way to repair?

Thanks for the help.

-Emery
If you do not have backup I would contact your host immediately and ask them for the oldest backup they have of the database.

Something like that does not simply disappear, it was either somehow lost by them during the server migration or by some action you took.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”