is there a way to monitor current IP addresses of users as an admin?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Post Reply
menz01
Registered User
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 pm

is there a way to monitor current IP addresses of users as an admin?

Post by menz01 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Hello,
I know in the ACP there are pages and logs to see when admins log on, what their IP addresses are at that time and what they did (if they did something). are there any logs or pages (or extensions) that will log users when they log in and their current IP address?

The reason i am asking. we are coming from another BB System (not sure if i am allowed to mention names, so i won't) that had that capability. I was not the admin of that system, nor was i the admin of this system when it was installed and deployed. However that admin has left our club and is very disgruntled about it. I was appointed admin along with a few past admins from both systems. These other admins are not IT people and i am, so that is why i was appointed an admin as well. So these other admins are concerned that the ex-member created backdoors to get back in. i have done what i can to ensure that the "founder" account and other admin accounts are secure. we even changed passwords in the databases as well. so the other admins are concerned that this ex member may have remembered a users password or perhaps created a user account to get back in. Apparantly on the "other system" they could just go to this page and look at the logs of users logons day by day and determine info from that. So now they are looking for something similar in PHPBB 3.2 and other that the admin logging i don't see user logging. is this possible to do?

User avatar
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 69210
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:44 am
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: is there a way to monitor current IP addresses of users as an admin?

Post by KevC » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:17 pm

This might help
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2407761

You can also look in the database at the users table user_type column and see who is type 3. They will be founder accounts.
This person will not be able to know someone elses email address but you're right in that they might have a normal account with founder status.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Image
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

User avatar
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 50553
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 am
Location: The U.P.
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: is there a way to monitor current IP addresses of users as an admin?

Post by stevemaury » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:11 pm

You can also force a password change in User registration settings.

Also, clicking the "i" icon will give you the IP address from which a post was made, as well as all IPs that user has posted from.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

User avatar
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 50553
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 am
Location: The U.P.
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: is there a way to monitor current IP addresses of users as an admin?

Post by stevemaury » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:59 pm

This intrigued me, so I thought about it some more. There are only two way to get admin or moderator permissions - groups and users. Groups are easy to check, just look at the members of the Admin and Global moderators groups and make sure you know who all their members are. Then, to make sure no other groups have been given admin or moderator permissions:

Code: Select all

SELECT group_id FROM phpbb_acl_groups WHERE auth_option_id IN(SELECT auth_option_id FROM phpbb_acl_options WHERE auth_option LIKE '%a_%' OR auth_option_id LIKE '%m_%') OR auth_role_id IN(SELECT role_id FROM phpbb_acl_roles WHERE role_type = 'a_' OR role_type = 'm_')
(Change the table prefix if yours is not phpbb_)

That will give you all groups which have any admin or moderator permissions or admin or moderator Roles.

Second way is user permissions. All admin user permissions are in the acl_options table, and begin with a_. Likewise, the moderator permissions begin with m_. Each permission has a unique auth_option_id. So, to get a list of the ids of all users with admin or moderator permission ids:

Code: Select all

SELECT user_id FROM phpbb_acl_users WHERE auth_option_id IN(SELECT auth_option_id FROM phpbb_acl_options WHERE auth_option LIKE '%a_%' OR auth_option_id LIKE '%m_%')
You now have a list of all user_ids with admin or Moderator user permissions.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

menz01
Registered User
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 pm

Re: is there a way to monitor current IP addresses of users as an admin?

Post by menz01 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:04 pm

KevC wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:17 pm
This might help
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2407761

You can also look in the database at the users table user_type column and see who is type 3. They will be founder accounts.
This person will not be able to know someone elses email address but you're right in that they might have a normal account with founder status.
Thank you for the suggestion. I installed it and waited a little bit to allow some users to log on and i am seeing the information. this appears to be what i needed. should i be concerned using this on a live board since it seems it is is still in "Release Candidate"? i hope not cause i am liking what i am seeing so far
stevemaury wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:59 pm
This intrigued me, so I thought about it some more. There are only two way to get admin or moderator permissions - groups and users. Groups are easy to check, just look at the members of the Admin and Global moderators groups and make sure you know who all their members are. Then, to make sure no other groups have been given admin or moderator permissions:

Code: Select all

SELECT group_id FROM phpbb_acl_groups WHERE auth_option_id IN(SELECT auth_option_id FROM phpbb_acl_options WHERE auth_option LIKE '%a_%' OR auth_option_id LIKE '%m_%') OR auth_role_id IN(SELECT role_id FROM phpbb_acl_roles WHERE role_type = 'a_' OR role_type = 'm_')
(Change the table prefix if yours is not phpbb_)

That will give you all groups which have any admin or moderator permissions or admin or moderator Roles.

Second way is user permissions. All admin user permissions are in the acl_options table, and begin with a_. Likewise, the moderator permissions begin with m_. Each permission has a unique auth_option_id. So, to get a list of the ids of all users with admin or moderator permission ids:

Code: Select all

SELECT user_id FROM phpbb_acl_users WHERE auth_option_id IN(SELECT auth_option_id FROM phpbb_acl_options WHERE auth_option LIKE '%a_%' OR auth_option_id LIKE '%m_%')
You now have a list of all user_ids with admin or Moderator user permissions.
very interesting!!! i am going to look at all this as well

User avatar
canonknipser
Registered User
Posts: 2015
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:16 am
Location: Germany
Name: Frank Jakobs
Contact:

Re: is there a way to monitor current IP addresses of users as an admin?

Post by canonknipser » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:22 pm

And to be sure, don't forget the base system:
  • database userid and password
  • ftp userid and password
  • hosting account userid and password
Make sure you change them to disable access from outside from phpBB - if you change the database credentials, you need to change config.php also!
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

menz01
Registered User
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 pm

Re: is there a way to monitor current IP addresses of users as an admin?

Post by menz01 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:35 pm

canonknipser wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:22 pm
And to be sure, don't forget the base system:
  • database userid and password
  • ftp userid and password
  • hosting account userid and password
Make sure you change them to disable access from outside from phpBB - if you change the database credentials, you need to change config.php also!
LOL!!! i already found that out, cause i did exactly that. luckily a little google-fu told me what to do and i corrected it but not before i got a few angry users calling me

User avatar
Furball Zen
Registered User
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:38 pm

Re: is there a way to monitor current IP addresses of users as an admin?

Post by Furball Zen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:25 am

Am i missing something? When you log into the ACP, at the bottom is lists all of the Admin activity and the IP address they logged in from. So if they were doing something, it would tell you.

Code: Select all

Logged administrator actions

This gives an overview of the last five actions carried out by board administrators. A full copy of the log can be viewed from the appropriate menu item or following the link below.
I am the almighty Furball Zen. Hear me fluff.

Site Admin: too many to list ;)
Port 80 is for your server, port 3306 is for your db :)
If your forum displays correctly in IE, it needs to be fixed :)

User avatar
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 50553
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 am
Location: The U.P.
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: is there a way to monitor current IP addresses of users as an admin?

Post by stevemaury » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:37 am

What you are missing is that he is concerned about people who may have the ability to do something, but have not yet done it. He wants to know who might have that ability.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

User avatar
ToiX3
Registered User
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:49 pm

Re: is there a way to monitor current IP addresses of users as an admin?

Post by ToiX3 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:27 pm

For test purpose I run this query:

Code: Select all

SELECT group_id FROM phpbb_acl_groups WHERE auth_option_id IN(SELECT auth_option_id FROM phpbb_acl_options WHERE auth_option LIKE '%a_%' OR auth_option_id LIKE '%m_%') OR auth_role_id IN(SELECT role_id FROM phpbb_acl_roles WHERE role_type = 'a_' OR role_type = 'm_')
This is the result:
shot.png
Group 1 (Guests). What? That's just not possible.
Caffeine-addicted

Post Reply

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”