DB issue help with question to hosting co

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
pollos

DB issue help with question to hosting co

Post by pollos »

Hi not directly related to a phpbb problem but any help would be gratefully received.

phpbb forum hosted with present hosting co for several years with no real problems. I have in the past suffered with slow posting but it only lasted a for a few mins. As I'm on shared hosting some other site hammering the db server is something you have to live with.

But for the past week+ static content served fast, forum db reads E.G forum list, posts ect serve as normal, fast, but when posting a new post it takes 20-30 second to return the page, causing double/treble posts and complaints from members.

Am I correct in thinking that the DB server could be the problem? I have asked my hosting co [via online chat] but all they say is "There are no issues with the DB servers at the moment"

I intend to open an e-mail support ticket. So if anyone would care to help a non too MYSQL knowledgeable guy with what should I ask them to check, I'd really appreciate it.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Re: DB issue help with question to hosting co

Post by JoshyPHP »

You should post more info about your install, e.g. http://www.phpbb.com/support/srt/

Also: which search backend do you use, which extensions are installed, etc...
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

If this is an issue that has slowly developed over time and you have never optimized the tables in your database it may or may not help but it's something you should do periodically anyway.

First backup your database. Go into your hosting control panel and open phpmyadmin. When you open the database you should be on list of tables, after the list of tables find the link that says "Check all tables with overhead". Next to that from the drop down menu select "optimize". If this is the first time you have done this you may want to select individual tables instead of all of them at once to prevent timeouts.

That said looking at your forum it appears to be fairly active and large to be on a simple low cost shared hosting plan.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
pollos

Post by pollos »

Hi thanx for the answers.

The version is 3.2.1 the update is downloaded but still to do.
I haven't updates yet as the first thing supports ask is have you made any changes? Gives them a possible excuse to blame the changes/updates made.

Extensions: pages and lightbox.

I do check and optimized the tables in the DB regularly.

It didn't happen slowly, all has run well over several years but 8-10 days ago I noticed that members were double posting and new posts/reply took ages. The first thing I did was to check and optimized the tables. I then contacted support:-
support wrote:I see that currently our server on 10.169.0.65 is experiencing load but it is not critical. If you wish I could migrate your database to another server.
Migration made no difference and when contacted again their response is "There are no issues with the DB servers at the moment"

It is difficult to get past their first line of defence [support staff] and as it happened overnight and no changes were made to the site all I can put it down to is a problem with the DB server.
sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm »

Is the database hosted on a different server to your files?
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

There are several similar posts and the issue is usually related to the DNS blacklist checker.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
pollos

Post by pollos »

Hi and thanx I have just [the other day] found it was related to the DNS blacklist checker. As it happened over night with no changes at my end I asked my host check their DFB server, looked through every file on the site, comparing with a local backup and an old server backup, looking to see if I had been hacked.

I may have missed something but as it was caused by slow response from the blacklist server I would have expected other phpbb users to have the same problem and request help in the support forum.

Thanx again for the reply
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

that function is turned off by default and most people would not have it turned on. that is probably why you don't see the problem here very often.

robert
pollos

Post by pollos »

Oh I must have turned it on at some time, must have been a long time ago .......

Return to “General Discussion”