Members where to find them?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
libralion

Members where to find them?

Post by libralion » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi everybody,
I had lots of spamaccounts on my board, so in the ACP I removed the members from each group.
But I still see them listed at the bottom of the page of my board: https://www.libralion.com/forum/
I used the synchronise option and cache option in the ACP. But that didn't help.
Isn't there a list of members somewhere in the ACP? So that I can remove those members permanently?
One by one is a lot of work.
I don't know why I had all those spamaccounts. I had the Q&A working.

Johanna

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Members where to find them?

Post by KevC » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:03 pm

users and groups
prune users
Then click 'find a member' under the box where you can enter account names.

The name will only disappear from the 'newest member' part when it's deleted or deactivated. Removing them from a group (I assume you took them out of registered users) will not stop them being members of the board.

Your oceans question is way too easy.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

libralion

Post by libralion » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:35 pm

KevC wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:03 pm
users and groups
prune users
Then click 'find a member' under the box where you can enter account names.

The name will only disappear from the 'newest member' part when it's deleted or deactivated. Removing them from a group (I assume you took them out of registered users) will not stop them being members of the board.

Thanks for that. πŸ˜€
As for the question I changed it, but I think this is difficult, because if the question is too difficult it won't work either.

Johanna

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:41 pm

It doesn't have to be difficult. It needs to be something you can't put in to a search engine and get the answer for. Something that requires some logic.

Such as, what is around the outside of our logo?
It requires logic to know what they are in the pictures (t...s)
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:53 pm

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:41 pm
It doesn't have to be difficult. It needs to be something you can't put in to a search engine and get the answer for. Something that requires some logic.

Such as, what is around the outside of our logo?
It requires logic to know what they are in the pictures (t...s)
But then you have to be careful with questions like that as logo's don't always show up to mobile users!

As I figured out

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:00 pm

Not a big deal for them to register on a computer.

Plenty of alternative kinds of questions that don't involve a logo though. Mine don't.
Cheap UK Hosting

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:11 pm

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:03 pm
As is the current Mother Earth question. G*** and T**** immediately came up, and won't stop rogue registrations. (Google search came up with couple lesser known names)
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:18 pm

sakm wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:53 pm
But then you have to be careful with questions like that as logo's don't always show up to mobile users!

As I figured out
Yep, happened on one of my boards. I got the impression when couple of potential new registrants mailed that they couldn't find any logo and then it dawned upon me: mobile didn't show, neither did the forum description which was under the forum name to the right of the logo.
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

sakm

Post by sakm » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:59 pm

Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:00 pm
Not a big deal for them to register on a computer.

Plenty of alternative kinds of questions that don't involve a logo though. Mine don't.
It is if they don't have a computer!

The majority of users these days are using mobile devices or tablets

A lot of browsers can be made to call the full website rather than the mobile version which will solve the issue but a lot of users aren't savvy enough to do that!

We should be embracing that fact that more users are using mobiles and make life easier for them to register and not push them away because it "not hard to register on a computer"

But as you say use an alternative to the logo but the fact of the matter is the problem is there for mobile users and board admins need to be aware of that

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:37 pm

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:59 pm
Have you checked your site stats to show that?
Barely a 1/3rd of the people on my boards seem to use anything other than windows or mac OS. The boards are on a variety of subjects and have all sorts of ages.
Cheap UK Hosting

sakm

Post by sakm » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:44 pm

Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:37 pm
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:59 pm
Have you checked your site stats to show that?
Barely a 1/3rd of the people on my boards seem to use anything other than windows or mac OS. The boards are on a variety of subjects and have all sorts of ages.
Yes
I suppose it depends on the target audience!
Some of us prefer to sit behind a computer and use the internet as intended but the younger generation not so much but as I say why rule them out

Furball Zen

Post by Furball Zen » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:32 am

Using the "people use a cell phone to access my site" argument is pretty weak, especially when phone browsers have an option to emulate being on a desktop browser. I think 3.2.2 renders as a mobile quite nicely and i lose no content. If that doesnt work, tilt it sideways and it renders the full site... ;)
I am the almighty Furball Zen. Hear me fluff.

Site Admin: too many to list ;)
Port 80 is for your server, port 3306 is for your db :)
If your forum displays correctly in IE, it needs to be fixed :)

sakm

Post by sakm » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:24 pm

Furball Zen wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:32 am
Using the "people use a cell phone to access my site" argument is pretty weak, especially when phone browsers have an option to emulate being on a desktop browser.
And like I said its all good and well being able to view it on a phone in desktop mode but you first need to know how to turn it on! half the people out there haven't got a clue!

Just because we know how it all works doesn't mean everyone else does

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:42 am

I think you underestimate people.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:25 pm

libralion wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:56 pm
I had lots of spamaccounts on my board, so in the ACP I removed the members from each group.
But I still see them listed at the bottom of the page of my board: https://www.libralion.com/forum/
I used the synchronise option and cache option in the ACP. But that didn't help.
Isn't there a list of members somewhere in the ACP? So that I can remove those members permanently?
Deleting them from group will not delete the account. A lot of bots register and never use the account so the best thing to do might be to just leave well enough alone. The closest thing that will get you a list of users is the prune users page on the Users and Groups tab. Set some criteria, for example posts are eqaul to 0 and set a date range. Set the option at the bottom to deactivate users.

When you hit submit you'll get a list of users that fit that criteria. Unfortunately this next page only provides you with their username. You can right click each account and select open in new tab to see details for each account. There is checkbox next to their name you can use to not perform the deactivation.

Be very careful with this feature if you set it to delete users instead of deactivate because it's not hard to accidentally wipe out legitimate users.

libralion wrote: ↑
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:35 pm

As for the question I changed it, but I think this is difficult, because if the question is too difficult it won't work either.

Johanna
The question I have is "Type in *someword* without the asteriks." and it seems to work fine.

Return to β€œ[3.2.x] Support Forum”