[SOLVED] RSS feeds

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
ferryboat

[SOLVED] RSS feeds

Post by ferryboat »

It's ok that my RSS feeds are the same in each board of the forum?
You know, there is a button in each board: I supposed I could get many different feeds.

Is anything not working good?

If not, is there any way to get a feed for each board?
Last edited by ferryboat on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigoJack

Re: RSS feeds

Post by AmigoJack »

Mind the terms: one installation is a board, which can have zero to many forums. Each forum can have zero to many other forums and zero to many topics. Each topic has one to many posts.

That being said: the feeds offered on this very site include the [3.2.x] Support Forum forum alone.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
ferryboat

Post by ferryboat »

I mind the terms but in all this shi**y forum there is no clear solution to this issue and everybody I post I get the same no answers.
It seems you are thick as a brick.

It's clear you understand but you want people speak your language.

So this board, although is not able to satisfy many important questions is headed by a group of people who enjoy their manner of not offering any solution.

Maybe it depends from your translators, but anytime I try to set the feeds I get NO RESULTS - wasted time.

I can't manage a board without providing RSS feeds and the settings of the feed are not clear.
Maybe must be set up a combination of options, but apparently all them act the same way.
In this forum there many pages and noone offer any solution.
it's clear the RSS feed is one of the lack of this forum and nobody want find a solution.

Enjoy it.

Tired.

Goodbye
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

ferryboat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:06 am I mind the terms but in all this shi**y forum there is no clear solution to this issue and everybody I post I get the same no answers.

So this board, although is not able to satisfy many important questions is headed by a group of people who enjoy their manner of not offering any solution.

Maybe it depends from your translators, but anytime I try to set the feeds I get NO RESULTS - wasted time.

I can't manage a board without providing RSS feeds and the settings of the feed are not clear.
Maybe must be set up a combination of options, but apparently all them act the same way.
it's clear the RSS feed is one of the lack of this forum and nobody want find a solution.

Enjoy it.

Tired.

Goodbye
Actually I just read your opening post and I was clueless about what you were really asking: "each board of the forum"???
I'm far from an expert in languages but I do understand the concept of communication. Your latest reply makes me think you haven't yet grasped that communication is a two-way process and there are simple ways to avoid or at least minimise distortion, one of them being the use of correct terminology. 'Nuff said.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
ferryboat

Post by ferryboat »

Ok i will translate my question I your language:

It's ok that my RSS feeds are the same in each forum of the forum?
You know, there is a button in each forum: I supposed I could get many different feeds.

If not, is there any way to get a feed for each board?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

ferryboat wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:14 ameach forum of the forum
That doesn't make sense.

ferryboat wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:14 amI supposed I could get many different feeds.

Yes, every forum has its own feed. No, this is working as intended. And as I said before:
AmigoJack wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:05 amThat being said: the feeds offered on this very site include the [3.2.x] Support Forum forum alone.
Not sure why you ignored that.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Before this gets out of hand let’s have a little more information so please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better. Also, presumably you’re talking about the built in atom feed?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
ferryboat

Post by ferryboat »

I'm talking of the build-in feed but I've also tried to set up smartfeed, with no result.

I have thematic forums in a same board and I need a (different) feed for each of them.
At present I can get only a same comprehensive feed in each forum.

Why you can't understand?!

I've tried, many times, each option of the settings with no result.

It could be useful to know at least which of the feed settings I must choose: the first, or the second (?).
For example:

1->1
2->2
3->1
4->2
5->2
6->..
7->..

Many thanks for your patience.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Knowledge Base - FAQ: phpBB ATOM feeds is a bit ancient but may help.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
ferryboat

Post by ferryboat »

I've tried again the many options but I can't get solution.
In my board each forum has the same feed, that is:

www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=1

is the same than

www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=2

www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=3

www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=4

All of them include message from all the forums. That is all of them contain a same feed.

I need to get a different feed for each forum.
I've tried each option available with no result.
64bitguy
Name: Steph

Post by 64bitguy »

ferryboat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:06 am I mind the terms but in all this shi**y forum there is no clear solution to this issue and everybody I post I get the same no answers.

Enjoy it.

Tired.

Goodbye

Well... I'm not sure how helpful your first sentence is (actually it is not). For everyone's sanity, I think patience and clarity go a long way as there are 3 kinds of users here. And just to be clear they are... Admins (trying to help and address issues), People with issues (like you) and people using phpBB that maybe can help with your issue because we feel that giving back is important. With that baseline established, the community tries (keyword here) to be cordial and professional. Sometimes, people lose their calm when questions are hazy, so choosing your words carefully is actually important.

First, I have been using phpBB for a long time and have integrated it successfully with my own CMS solutions so I am familiar with what you are trying to do (or I think I am, based on what I have read). I have authored code to Aggregate "Forums" Posts into individual feeds; however, you need clarity when defining your request in terms of identifying what you are trying to see or do. Pictures are good too.

There are several ways to both present and aggregate phpBB content (data) into RSS feeds. The first, uses Forum RSS permissions (as a dependency/requirement) to collect and grant access to the data. You'll find that in the Administration Section.

The second method uses externally defined (top level of permissions) and access rights to pull data from the Database and presentation rights come from some other determining factor (some other front end). I'm assuming (because I choose to do so) that you want the former "normal" way if for no other reason than security (you don't want every forum's data accessible by just anyone) and want to be able to look at any particular forums' (or even topic) posts simply by clicking an RSS Feed Icon inside phpBB itself (meaning, you are pulling the data and using it from inside phpBB itself). You want an RSS link to either a specific forum, or a specific topic, or one for the entire board that is based on the User's permissions (If they have rights to "Forum-X", they can see a feed for "Forum-X" (and that could even be down to "Topic-X" if you want).

With that said, of course this is possible and in fact, phpBB is designed to do this. The code is pretty straight forward to also collect this data and present it in, "Blocks" (on other pages of your website) that shows individual Forum or Topic Feeds as well as the entire Board (depending on the user's permissions, meaning they won't see content that they don't have permissions to). phpBB does all of this natively.

I would direct you first to this:

http://phpbbfaq.org/site/rss-feeds/

Here, you can see that the entire board and even each forum can have a feed, or even topics can have feeds. It all depends on how you "define" those inside phpBB Administration. Further, know that the "data" is all there. Thus, you can do a lot to "pull" that data and present (or aggregate it) as well using phpBB itself, or add-ons/extensions.

Unfortunately at this time, phpBB documentation little addresses php file calls, Apache, cache resource optimization, configuration models, file consolidation and thus people like me have been forced to simply do all of that externally by creating Content Management Systems that share common datasets with phpBB; however, far reduce the number of unique file calls through our own front-end account management, security and presentation systems. This is why you will find phpBB 2.x common in many CMS systems of the past couple of decades. The ability to pull data for RSS feeds has always been a great function within phpBB; but there are other; better ways too.

Think of the feed "address" (URL) as merely another script that pulls the data from "Forum=$1", "Topic=$Topic", etc.... and runs it through a converter (to put it in RSS or other format), THEN you need to figure out how to present (store, cache, etc...) that data. I do this all the time in my CMS, I turn phpBB content into validated aggregateable RSS/ATOM/XML Content, store it, cache it and then provide a link to that location. I use only 6 PHP includes to determine everything from security to content presentation. phpBB? I shudder to think.

I will comment aloud that I know from experience that aggregating content from multiple files in to one file significantly accelerates performance. phpBB has done much with 3.x to improve queries; but it has some major performance (errr...I will say, "resource hog") issues from the habit of calling php functions to do things when (in my humble opinion), it shouldn't. Meaning, the "board" is just making way too many file calls over and over, when in fact I think that it should simply be calling a value instead. For example, I don't need a php function (with a file) to present each image, I only need it once and then to know where that image is (given that each image's properties fit within my defined scope when uploaded (where I validate all of that)... after that, it's just an image, though phpBB sadly doesn't handle it as such. I rewrote my phpBB code so in fact that it does handle images and other things as just a value to fix this issue for myself; but hey.. I can do that, as a coder.

This need stems from the assumption that I found elsewhere in these forums;, "Whenever possible, phpBB should correctly negotiate the revalidation protocols for quasi-static content. The two relevant modules here are download/file.php and style.php, and these modules don't do this (except for avatars)".

As my content is only presented to validated users/sessions (a validated/session object front end that is cached), I don't fall in the group that says that static content, EVEN AVATARS needs to be re-validated because MY permissions system works differently from phpBB in a physical difference of HOW files and content are presented. You have no idea how much the Server resources are affected on Shared hosting where the manner of file calls is translated immediately to = "Server Resources" and is resulting in hosts starting to take action and bump phpBB domains. That space simply isn't designed for the file calls in the "new" Internet of Virtual Servers.

I think the process (what php file calls does to these Servers) is murder. If you're hosting your own box, even with default settings you won't have problems until you hit a certain number of user sessions; but regardless, that's not shared hosting. No, rather, my CMS solutions don't process anything near phpBB to pull an image which is why RSS is also helpful, I pull its value and I'm done with it. I consider the data as already validated by the rules of my Front-End CMS and phpBB shared values and when I apply my CMS rules (when I call it in RSS), I am simply converting it and validating 100% compliance to RSS Standards. The link properties for any non-public forum in my case, only work from within the CMS itself which handles security. All others are processed by 3 php files, 4 Apache and 'x' Cache values.

For the phpBB way, here's another link to the "steps" that I believe you are looking for; but remember, there are a ton of ways to pull, manipulate and present phpBB forums data. The key is in forming your question so that everyone understands exactly what your are trying to do. Clarity is everything.

https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support ... d-settings

Hope this helps!
Steph
Furball Zen

Post by Furball Zen »

If i may add to this and not sound too snarky, its clear you dont understand the features of phpbb and how they work. Its also obvious that, either English is not your first language, or you failed at grasping its most basic concepts along with how grammar ties in.

Now that ive said that, it sounds like you want an RSS feed for each forum->topic. Regardless of what you want, the choices are in the ACP under Feed Settings, i suggest you start there. Or maybe with English 101 first.

Furthermore, the insinuation that the people who support this arent providing your monies worth is highly insulting. Especially considering its on a VOLUNTARY basis.
I am the almighty Furball Zen. Hear me fluff.

Site Admin: too many to list ;)
Port 80 is for your server, port 3306 is for your db :)
If your forum displays correctly in IE, it needs to be fixed :)
ferryboat

Post by ferryboat »

64bitguy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:27 pm
For the phpBB way, here's another link to the "steps" that I believe you are looking for; but remember, there are a ton of ways to pull, manipulate and present phpBB forums data. The key is in forming your question so that everyone understands exactly what your are trying to do. Clarity is everything.

https://www.inmotionhosting.com/support ... d-settings

Hope this helps!
Steph
Many thanks, I think that could help. I hope I will get solution.

The question is that when a person, like me, has migrated some forums in phpBB and then (after some years) discovers that the RSS feeds don't work the way I believed till.. and the forum users couldn't see what you I have redirected them to, during some years. So you get a little angry.
Really at the beginning I didn't realize that, maybe because the RSS feeds worked, but since some months I've discovered such issue without finding solution. I don't know why that occurs, I think is not a permission issue. Anyway I will try again and if I will not get solution I will turn the RSS feeds off.
Many TNX
ferryboat

Post by ferryboat »

remove
ferryboat

Post by ferryboat »

I've finally found the cause of my RSS issue!!

--> Looking at the source code of each thematic-forum page I have realized my RSS (atom) feeds setting are OK. Infact in the source code of each thematic forum (link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml"), I can find the right Atom feed of each thematic forum.
Every Atom link in the source code is something like this: https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed/forum/11
I've tested such links and they work, that is they open thematic feed pages.

So what, in my opinion, are wrong are the links opening when I push each RSS button, placed close to the title of each thematic forum. These links are something like this (instead):

https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=11

Such feed display a unique global feed and the same occurs when I push the button of these other feeds:
https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=10
https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=9

- So why I can't get, under each button, close to the title of each thematic forum, links like these?
https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed/forum/11
https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed/forum/10
https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed/forum/9

--> I assume must be something wrong in the RSS/Atom URLs.

How can I fix/customize such URLs?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”