Hide only one topic from guests

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Pilxy

Hide only one topic from guests

Post by Pilxy »

Hi,

I recently got a request from a member, who asked me to hide one of his topics from guests. I would like to help him, but I'm not sure if this is possible.

I tried searching this forums, but I haven't found anythig useful so far. Can this be done? :ugeek:
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Hide only one topic from guests

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

not without an extension and I doubt you get anyone to create one for this one time thing.
you could put his one topic in a separate forum and then set the permissions for that forum to no access for the guest group.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Pilxy

Post by Pilxy »

I thought about creating a new forum with different permissions, but I don't wan't to create it for one topic only.

Are there any other ways I can achieve to hide the content from guests? Maybe use of some BBcode or something like that?
david63

Post by david63 »

If this topic has already been posted then it will have been seen by guests and indexed by the search engines so it is a bit pointless trying to hide it now - and if it hasn't then by the time somebody manages to create one it most certainly will.

There are a few extensions that do similar things that might be of use - try looking/searching the CDB and extensions in development fora.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Permissions work either on a universal basis or on a forum basis; not a topic basis. The only way to hide a single topic from guests is to put it in its own forum.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Pilxy

Post by Pilxy »

Yes, I'm aware of how the default sistem works.

What I'm asking is if there is any other way to overcome this, either by MODs, extension, BBcode, or anything else, that would hide the topic itself or the published content from beeing seen by the guests.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Wasn't there a (hide content with permissions) bbcode? Have seen something like this mentioned around here somewhere, but i could be wrong.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You need an extension for that. Have a search of the extensions forums and, if you don’t see anything that suits your purpose, make an extension request.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Pilxy

Post by Pilxy »

Not really. It still requires me to set up a new forum just for this topic, which is what I would like to avoid.

After thinking a bit more about it, I believe a better option would be to try to hide just (some) of his content to the guests, so I'm gonna try to figure out how to incorporate this into my forums. I will try to learn how to set up an extension or do it the old fashioned way by modifying some files. Will see how it goes... :roll:
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Try this extension and use the hide message BBcode. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... bcode_box/
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Pilxy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:07 am Not really. It still requires me to set up a new forum just for this topic, which is what I would like to avoid.
No, actually, it doesn't require you to setup a new forum.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
Pilxy

Post by Pilxy »

John connor wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:37 am Try this extension and use the hide message BBcode. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... bcode_box/
Thanks. It has way too many functionalities, but I'll play around a bit, to se if I'll be able to remove what I don't need.

RMcGirr83 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:45 am
Pilxy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:07 am Not really. It still requires me to set up a new forum just for this topic, which is what I would like to avoid.
No, actually, it doesn't require you to setup a new forum.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the permissions remain forum based, right? If so, than your extension is not what I'm looking for.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Yes they are forum based but I doubt there would be anyway to get what you are requesting without
  1. creating a new forum with the correct permissions and moving that topic into that forum
  2. installing the extension and adding the permission to those groups you want to be able to view the forum where that topic is located.
There is no way, that I can think of, to hide a single topic within a forum as permissions are forum based and not topic based as you have been told.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”