New GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and phpBB

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
silenus

Re: New GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and phpBB

Post by silenus »

GDPR – A Practical Guide For Developers
https://techblog.bozho.net/gdpr-practic ... evelopers/
may be useful for this topic.
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

LaxSlash1993 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:37 am I did find something out, though. This is how the EU plans on enforcing it in the US:
http://www.uniformlaws.org/ActSummary.a ... tion%20Act
As I wrote, it is not a problem to enforce the court's judgment. The US and the EU cooperate quite closely in many areas and will not block judgments. Anyway, this may only apply to small businesses and private parties. I think that if there is not a large data leak or customer complaint to the service provider to the court, there will be no such action from the request of Data Protection Offices. The EU will rather focus on local data administrators. Therefore, any large non-EU administrator must have a legal representative in the EU to be punished directly or give him recommendations for data protection. But every large company works on its commercial solution so do not worry about it.
phpBB as a software producer used all over the world should make the software legitimate. This is not an obligation, because no one forces you to use phpBB. This is an element of competitiveness on the market. Which software should I choose - lawful or having a legal problem?
Extensions are ok, but as I and others wrote, the extension is today, and tomorrow there is no because the author has abandoned it. That is why key elements should be in the core.
Eg.
Checkbox or list of checkboxes on registering form additional text to edition - Legal agreement or consent. (Now I have done it by CPF but it is some problematical)
Checkbox or list of checkboxes on contact form with additional text to edition - Legal agreement or consent.
Deleting user account by themself, with anonymization of posts author. (There is an extension, but today is, tomorrow maybe not.)
Or other tool for anonymization. (At now I manually changing user name to anonymous and next deleting user. But maybe some data still retains in DB?)
Better account protection by using 2FA and Google Authenticator.
etc. etc.
andrewilley

Post by andrewilley »

LaxSlash1993 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:37 amI'm once again torn if I want to believe any of the bs going around, or if I just want to geoblock the EU before the enforcement date
I'm starting to wonder the same to be honest. I only run a smallish non-commercial information resource site (which I know is no exception from these Orwellian new regulations) and due to the subject matter the vast majority of the visitors (85%+) come from the USA and Canada. I do get a fair few coming from the UK though, but perhaps around 100 unique visitors a week from the whole of the rest of the EU, so they really cannot be my priority for the limited amount of time I have to spend on the site.

My feeling at the moment is that the workload to implement a comprehensive programmatic solution (even assuming that I, or even the legislators, actually know what to implement) far exceeds any benefits. So I think I will have to set up a take-it-or-leave-it policy requiring an explicit opt-in for all EU-based visitors: if people want to accept the site as-is, and as it has been for many years, that's fine. But otherwise they won't get any access. Stupid that I have to do this I know, but I'm not going to compromise what I've spent 10+ years creating for these raving Eurocrats. :(

Andre
--- Admin of www.portorleans.org
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

andrewilley wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 am[theres] no exception from these Orwellian new regulations
But, in the end under severe torture, Winston came to love big brother and dump his girlfriend, I don’t think this will end the same. :D
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
tojag

Post by tojag »

Do not worry, soon in the US you will have the same as a result of the FB affair :lol:
But we know what is required, all is described in GDPR. Maybe not stricte technically but as a concept. We should support David63 in his job for realize information policy viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2464776
And support Paul in his job for better protect accounts by 2FA
viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2341856
Can Team help them? I'm not a web programmer, so maybe an account for payments for this purpose could be organized?
LaxSlash1993

Post by LaxSlash1993 »

silenus wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:05 am GDPR – A Practical Guide For Developers
https://techblog.bozho.net/gdpr-practic ... evelopers/
may be useful for this topic.
As long as any new feature added to the core for this bs law is optional, and turned off by default.

tojag wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:04 pm Do not worry, soon in the US you will have the same as a result of the FB affair :lol:
Not a chance. Any regulation would be quickly shot down by the lobby, and by people that actually know what they're talking about. That whole hearing was a disgrace.

But, if it did by some weird off chance... I'd remove a geoblock and just not comply with any of it anyways... domestic lawyers are much cheaper than international lawyers. Any semi-decent lawyer would be able to get a large majority of court cases on this law thrown out. Tbh, I'm more interested in watching EU case law to see how quickly good lawyers there get it thrown out.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

LaxSlash1993 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:37 am

I did find something out, though. This is how the EU plans on enforcing it in the US:
http://www.uniformlaws.org/ActSummary.a ... tion%20Act
FMJRA wrote:Judgments entered without personal jurisdiction . . . are not recognizable.
How do you postulate that the EU will obtain personal jurisdiction over US persons?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo »

To state that a directive intended to protect users against an already existing "Orwellian" state of data "security" security in itself is "Orwellian" ...
It really takes a lot to come up with such an idea :shock:

What shocks me most in "discussions" like this one is the utter lack of knowledge (or even lack of interest in gainig such knowledge ...) most of those who prefer to shout paroles instead of looking into a subjct more earnestly in order to help cure its possible weaknesses seem to have - is it ignorance or unwillingness to get informed first or what else?

Decades of unrestricted data grapping need to come to an end. You all may see it differently - as long it effects only your personal data.
At least trying to see and understand the reasoning behind the thoughts of those who may see things differently or more differenciated would be a sign not only of respect but one of intellectual/social maturity as well.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

GDPR is social maturity or respect? Data you insert by your own free will and show it to all of us is private? This topic here is filled with fear. Is this private? No it's massive and public. This doesn't help no one! Intellect and maturity equals make an action, by doing something that contributes everyone and not just talking/writing/reading. Knowledge is not something you gain by just reading, but something you experience by integrity. I will skip personal data, because to me, there's no such thing as personal data, it's only a big bubble that one may be attached to.

This discussion was a failure from the start, but gave birth to one extension, so it has some positivity as well.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
andrewilley

Post by andrewilley »

The point where I gave up on the EU bureaucrats' grasp on reality was not even their ludicrous assertion that ALL web Cookies need user permission before being allowed to be saved on a computer - for heaven's sake, the web runs on the bloody things! It was their legally-enforceable "Right to be Forgotten by search engines" on the basis (for example) that the searched information is "no longer relevant". Such as yesterday's high court ruling in http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43752344 which now prevents Google from returning legitimately published official details of a court ruling from 10 years ago. Not that the information was inaccurate (which might have been cause for concern, or even deletion) but simply that it should no longer be possible for anyone to search for it as it is "obsolete", even though it is a matter of public record. All of which is rather like a Library being allowed to store old books and newspapers, but having to destroy any index-cards telling researchers where to find them.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand that there is some merit in the ideals behind the GDPR, but like everything else that the EU does, the actual implementation appears to be wordy (54,000+ so far), officious, over-bureaucratic, over-reaching nonsense once you see it in the real world.

Andre
--- Admin of www.portorleans.org
tojag

Post by tojag »

Please, stop writing and whether GDPR is right or wrong! This is not the topic of this thread! There is a problem and we have to solve it. If someone thinks that there is no problem or that he will not follow this law, please do not write. I did not ask for opinions on GDPR, I asked about the compliance of phpBB with this regulation and about possible ways to achieve it. I can not forbid anyone to write here but I do not understand why people from the US troll this topic.
Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo »

GanstaZ wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:26 pm GDPR is social maturity or respect?
No, it's about the way a subject is being handled - the difference between constructive criticism and ideology.

tojag wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:49 pmThere is a problem and we have to solve it.
I would love to do so - and even more love to see that this issue is accepted as something worth considering in earnest.

Unfortunatly there is a more than obvious tendency, not only here, to not only handle it with indifference but on a personal level that is not appropriate - neither to the issue as such nor to what makes a dicourse a constructive discourse.

I'm out of this topic.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

tojag wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:49 pm I can not forbid anyone to write here but I do not understand why people from the US troll this topic.
Because 1/3 of all the phpBB Team members are from the US? Who will bear the burden of implementing changes in the software necessary to satisfy the 28 or so GDPR directives? (Assuming that is done).
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

stevemaury wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:48 pm
tojag wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:49 pm I can not forbid anyone to write here but I do not understand why people from the US troll this topic.
Because 1/3 of all the phpBB Team members are from the US? Who will bear the burden of implementing changes in the software necessary to satisfy the 28 or so GDPR directives? (Assuming that is done).
This is not wise, the business does not provide for these limits. For the sake of the phpBB's distribution, worldwide.
So we should say that we might be disinterested in implementing writing from right to left?
It is easy to fall into the limit of discrimination ;)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
tojag

Post by tojag »

tojag wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:46 am This is not an obligation, because no one forces you to use phpBB. This is an element of competitiveness on the market. Which software should I choose - lawful or having a legal problem?
Extensions are ok, but as I and others wrote, the extension is today, and tomorrow there is no because the author has abandoned it. That is why key elements should be in the core.
Why others can do it?
https://volunteers.joomla.org/teams/com ... ary-20-21-

I don't know :( Maybe phpBB is to small for achieve this? Why don't organize crowdfunding for GDPR goal?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”