T-Rex Cloning ...

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Dan39

Post by Dan39 »

onigumo wrote:
Dan39 wrote:bunch of *beep*, scientists are dumbasses

Suicide is an option for you.

not in a million years, and wat kind of a fucking asshole response was that? go crawl abck into your corner you lil fucking loser wit no life, stop sitting at your comp 24/7 just searching around for every little thing you can find to insult someone by...

yea if they can they should clone it, there could be so much to learn from that, and i just cant wait untill it looks totally different than wat we've thought all these years...
mrrick

Post by mrrick »

Dan39 wrote:
onigumo wrote:
Dan39 wrote:bunch of *beep*, scientists are dumbasses

Suicide is an option for you.

not in a million years, and wat kind of a *beep* asshole response was that? go crawl abck into your corner you lil *beep* loser wit no life, stop sitting at your comp 24/7 just searching around for every little thing you can find to insult someone by...

Smooth 8)

:roll: :roll: spaz!!!
I really like Fruit Loops!!!
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

romans1423 wrote: I agree, we would learn a lot about how the tyrannosaur walked, lived, ate, hunted, whatever.

However, would knowing any of that affect our lives in the slightest, other than forcing many possible updates of school books?

I don't see the benefits outweighing the cost of precaution or the risk involved.

What risk? You people have been taking the movie "Jurassic Park" way too seriously. Do you know why the dinos in Jurassic Park got loose and caused problems? I'll tell you why, and it has nothing to do with "life refusing to be contained" or "meddling with forces we do not understand" or any of that nonsense. There were two reasons:
  1. They were contained only by electric wire fences. If the park had been designed with sufficiently deep in-ground concrete paddocks and moats like a zoo, none of the dinos would have gotten loose, power failure or no power failure.
  2. Insufficient firepower. If you're going to try and kill a dinosaur, carry something that can do the job. Dinos weren't bulletproof, you know; they just have an awful lot of tissue to blow through. How can anyone seriously think that mankind would have serious trouble containing a dino outbreak even if one somehow occurred, when we have .50cal machine guns which will punch through a half-inch of steel plate and tank guns which can blow a hole through more than two feet of it? A military-grade Humvee could easily turn a T-Rex into kibbles 'n bits.
The notion of a cloned T-Rex somehow posing an actual threat to mankind is utterly ridiculous; the biggest problem it would pose for zoo personnel would be its food requirements.
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

Darth Wong wrote: the biggest problem it would pose for zoo personnel would be its food requirements.

lol

Well, dammit, Darth pretty much beat me to what I was going to say- for those saying "is it worth the risk" ect ect ect, uhhh the Lost World was only a movie, I'm sure they'd have tons of things set up to prevent a t-rex roaming through San Diego.

For those who say "well how is it going ot effect my life?" Ok, fine, don't bother paying attention to it. I fail to see how it effects our lives so much knowing the names for parts of a cell, but you know what, some people find it ineteresting and make a career out of it. To say "it won't effetc my life" is to say "let's get rid of about 75% of the things the teach in the current school system".

Dan39- What onigumo posted about you is no worse off than what you posted. Instead of calling other people "losers comming here 24/7" look at the fact that you enter a thread to do nothing more than a write a single sentence calling scientist dumbasses. Ignorance, my it must feel good.....

I'd say the idea of cloning the thing definetly peaks my curiosity. My one concern is that if they cloned it and it was at one point open for the public to see(as was attempted in Jurassic Park) the price to see it would be so incredibly huge I would never get such a chance. On the other hand, they could od the complete opposite and keep the thing completely sheltered, again not exactly doing much for anyone. Still, as someone who was completely fascinated with Dinosaurs as a young kid, it would definelty be a dream come true to see such a creature alive, but I think Pit pretty much bursted that bubble with his post.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

True, the idea of a completely intact DNA strand after millions of years is rather silly, given the highly reactive nature of organic compounds.

But just for the sake of argument, if one could resurrect a T-Rex via Crichton-magic, it really wouldn't be too hard to contain, and I doubt it would even be that expensive, compared to the operating budget of a typical large zoo. The Toronto Zoo has an annual operating budget of $24 million already; I don't see why the massive increase in tourist dollars from having a live T-Rex on-site wouldn't pay for any food that the dino consumed.
Freedom of speech is not absolute, nor was it ever meant to be. If it were, then fraud would not be illegal.
Kazer0

Post by Kazer0 »

MennoniteHobbit wrote: IMHO the negatives weigh more than the benefits... how would they control the T-Rex? It was a tyrant lizard back then, and was enormous. It would be hard to manage something like that.

The same way we do elephants and giraffes?
Andrew Charron || alexis support forum || Specializing in phpBB website template integration
Hurry up, my feash is siek.
AndrewCharron.com version 5 released!
adamsmark

Post by adamsmark »

When can I get one?
"I believe in the atomic bomb."

Blogging at http://agabus.com
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

I can see it now:

Kid: Mommy/Mummy*, I wanna pet.
Mom/Mum: What kind of pet? Guinea pig? Cat? Dog?
Kid: T-Rex!
Mom/Mum:...

*: Depending on there in teh big wide world you are

Seriously though, I think it would be a great idea. Provided it's actually well thought out, planned, monitored cloning, rather than petty experimentation. As has been said, if would be a challenge contaning it, but then they could just follow the Zoo Tycoon example :P
ThE-UnknowN

Post by ThE-UnknowN »

Those those who are against it, cos of risks involved, remember there was one dude who decided to take a risk and see if the world was really flat (and travel around the world if it is not) - if he did not take the risk one of the current huge land mass which you all are staying on is going to have been settled much later, if at all.

There was another dude who too a risk and sailed around the world (sailing around the word a couple of 100 years ago was not exactly a safe thing) and in return we had the theory of evolution.

There are lots of people who risk their lives on a fairly often basis to find out whats going on more then a couple of 100 miles above us (space). We have found so many interesting things about it, some which have bettered everyone's lives (new "space" tech which has filtered down as new medical equipment, etc).

We don't always know what we may learn when we take a risk - but if noone takes a risk, everyone may as well go back to the stone ages and go around banging each other with a stick / bone (oops, thats risky as well).

:P
http://www.chatvenue.com is finally taking shape.
nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 »

Watch Jurrasic Park then decide.

Perfect explanation of how what will go wrong, will go wrong.
Travis aka Nuckfan15 - No Private Support
Make use of the Support Request Template when seeking support.
Gud
Former Team Member

Post by Gud »

nuckfan15 wrote: Watch Jurrasic Park then decide.

I hate to break it to you, but a hollywood movie isn't a documentary. ;)
Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Darth Wong wrote:
  1. They were contained only by electric wire fences. If the park had been designed with sufficiently deep in-ground concrete paddocks and moats like a zoo, none of the dinos would have gotten loose, power failure or no power failure.

But you forget the frog DNA, which allows them to jump and catch flies with their tongues.
super fun rainbow colour sig
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

nuckfan15 wrote: Perfect explanation of how what will go wrong, will go wrong.

We don't need a movie to prove Murphy's Law. :wink: It happens enough in all of our lives.
The same way we do elephants and giraffes?

Except for the fact they're not as aggressive and aren't carnivores...
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

nuckfan15 wrote: Watch Jurrasic Park then decide.

Only when Michael Crichton designs the zoo. Let an actual zoo designer design the zoo and you won't have these problems. Can someone explain exactly how a T-Rex would get out of a properly designed sunk-in concrete paddock with moat? Or why we should be so terrified of a creature that any military-grade Humvee could easily turn into kibble with its .50cal MG?
Mr. C
I've Been Banned!

Post by Mr. C »

I think they should definitely do it.

Return to “General Discussion”