Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:55 pm
Rating:
In Progress
Ticket:
PHPBB3-9837
Master_Cylinder

Re: Posts waiting for approval should be visible to the auth

Post by Master_Cylinder » Sun May 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Big Mac wrote:Don't just make it visible. Make it editable too.
I don't want them editing a post in the moderation queue. I don't even want them to see it, personally. If implemented I hope it's permission based, not default.

peopleopinion

Post by peopleopinion » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:32 am

Master_Cylinder wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Don't just make it visible. Make it editable too.
I don't want them editing a post in the moderation queue. I don't even want them to see it, personally. If implemented I hope it's permission based, not default.

Permission based is the right direction imho too.
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

peopleopinion

Re: Posts waiting for approval should be visible to the authors

Post by peopleopinion » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:11 am

nickvergessen wrote:I tried to implement that while creating softdelete.
The problem is, it makes the queries way more complex and heavier.
The query run time for the most important queries increase by factor 10.
:idea: For the problem of the slowness of queries, is the following idea helpful for keeping queries quick and easier to maintain? (hope I didn't made any mistake):
  1. Now we have a table where all posts are stored. Let's call this table PostPubTab (just for explicating this idea!)
  2. Add a second table into DB to host posts waiting for approval. Let's call it PostToModTab
  3. This second table is perfectly equal to the first one: PostToModTab = PostPubTab
  4. When the post is published, a query (qWrite) stores it into PostPubTab
  5. When the post needs moderation the same query (qWrite) changes its destination and stores the post into PostToModTab. The post isn't public yet but the author will be able to access it for further editing, until the browser is open or until it has stored in its local cache the right cookie that refs to that specific post. (instead the cookie is possibile to do this using the IP of the user, until the IP doesn't change, the user will be able to access to all posts (s)he made, but only for a certain time, let's say h hours). It is possible to add into ACP a field to allow admins to customize this value
  6. During such time (h hours) the post is not visible for moderation, or it is visible but not "moderable"
  7. When the post is moderated (not before h hours) and approved, a query (qRead) reads the post data and passes it to the query (qWrite) that inserts everything needed into the PostPubTab. The post is now public.
  8. Another query (qDel) deletes the same row from PostToModTab, the table is updated accordingly
Please explicate why you voted negative or positive, so it will be possible to better understand each one's point of view.
Please visit and vote my website and express freely your opinion on it (phpbb ver.: 3.0.12):
http://peopleopinion.altervista.org
Thanks. Best Regards, peopleopinion.

John connor
Name: Aaron

Post by John connor » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:48 am

I don't understand this. I have set that the Newly Registered user be placed in moderation que for a first post. After that first post is approved he/she is free to post at will. I do know for a fact with my test accounts a message is given to the new user saying their post needs to be approved.

Am I missing something here from this idea that's been submitted?

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:05 am

The newly registered user gets the message the post he just made needs to be approved by a moderator, but has never a chance to see his post until it is approved. So it is vanished for him.
When people are to slow in reading or just missed that messages, some of them post the same message a second time because they believe it wasn't send the first time, which happens two or three times a week at our german support board.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:26 am

canonknipser wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:05 am
When people are to slow in reading or just missed that messages, some of them post the same message a second time because they believe it wasn't send the first time, which happens two or three times a week at our german support board.
This happens quite a lot on here as well, so I'd definitely appreciate such a feature.
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Sophist-UK

Post by Sophist-UK » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm

To add a further explanation of why the message needs to be visible and editable (if acl allows)...

My role playing board needs new users to post a moderated introduction to their character.

In some cases, the post needs an iterative approach to get it to the required standard before approval, with moderators making comments and users editing it until both are happy where upon the moderator approves it.

At the present time there is no way to achieve this since unapproved posts are invisible to the authors.

Sophist-UK

Post by Sophist-UK » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:49 pm

nickvergessen wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:21 pm
I tried to implement that while creating softdelete.
@NickV Any chance you could explain why it makes it a lot slower e.g. by providing before and after examples of the SQL generated?
Last edited by Sophist-UK on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve1200
Name: Steven Davis

Post by steve1200 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 am

nickvergessen wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:26 pm
Crizzo wrote:
nickvergessen wrote:I tried to implement that while creating softdelete.
Will this have an great effect on the performance of phpBB?
On my test back then when implementing the basic of softdelete it doubled the loading time of viewforum in the end.
I don't like processes that slow things down and I know enough about programming to be dangerous. This is a complicated issue especially if guests can post. Running a query is tedious because changing the title or post a bit makes it more difficult to detect, so I can see why it would slow things down a lot.

One option would be to add an email field to the post page for guests so a dynamic IP would not matter. If a member is logged in the field is hidden but if they are a guest they would need to enter an email address to submit a post. A guest's email address would not be displayed anywhere and only visible to administrators during post approval. When a member or a guest hits the submit button unapproved posts would be displayed with a message to not duplicate posts awaiting approval. Searches should be faster because you search by member or email address and post status to display unapproved posts. Once they review their list and select continue, they could could either confirm or abandon the new post submission. If there is no list their post is submitted. This method is not fool proof because someone could still duplicate a post but it would let users see their posts and the status.

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of phpBB so this may not be as easy as I think because a database modification is necessary to add an email address field to the topic for searches. This option has other possibilities. For instance if a guest becomes a member their posts could be moved to the member. Additionally administrators would have either a member or email address associated with all posts on their system.

One might argue guests do not want to submit their email address which is fine. Give admins the option of selecting a radio button in the ACP to disable the function. If the function is disabled, phpBB would work like it does now.

Thought I would throw it out there for other opinions.

Protopia

Post by Protopia » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:25 am

Yes - I can see that there might be complications to handle all cases.

However, I am not sure that it makes sense for Guests to see their own posts waiting for approval. A guest, by definition, is anonymous - and if e.g. they are using a public PC, there is no expectation that the next user of the same PC won't be able to reuse the same session and see the unapproved post.

So, IMO, this functionality should be limited to users who are signed-in, and this should make the SQL much simpler and more efficient because you don't have to check both the userid (for signed-in users) and the session (for guests).

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:35 am

Protopia wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:25 am
So, IMO, this functionality should be limited to users who are signed-in, and this should make the SQL much simpler and more efficient because you don't have to check both the userid (for signed-in users) and the session (for guests).
Seconded
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

CHItA
Development Team Member
Development Team Member

Post by CHItA » Fri May 11, 2018 3:47 pm

PR is here, if anyone wants to follow the changes or review them.

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Sat May 12, 2018 3:34 pm

CHItA wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:47 pm
PR is here, if anyone wants to follow the changes or review them.
Awesome, nice job!
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

v12mike

Post by v12mike » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:47 pm

I have taken up the challenge of getting this implemented, and there is currently a new PR awaiting review. https://github.com/phpbb/phpbb/pull/5686

Random American

Post by Random American » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:24 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon May 05, 2014 4:11 pm
Don't just make it visible. Make it editable too.
If that is added in as well, there should be a permission to disable regular users from editing their own posts in the queue if the site admin elects to impose that restriction. I can see sneaky rulebreakers potentially editing out malicious content when they realize the mods will be notified and see the post before anyone else does.

Return to “phpBB Ideas”