A sign-up sheet ext

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Get Involved
lavalamp213

A sign-up sheet ext

Post by lavalamp213 »

On my forum we have monthly group activities that require people to sign up. Up to now, the only way to do that is to open a topic for "June Sign-up" and people reply with "I'm in" or whatever.

You have to go through it and pick out all the names and it's just a bit messy.

An extension that would allow a neat option to easily create the sign-up sheet (like you do a poll) and allow people to just add their name to it would be great.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: A sign-up sheet ext

Post by KevC »

Possible idea....

Make a group which has membership by request (or make it open so once they're in that's it)
Anyone who wants in can request to join the group
You just approve everyone.
Give that group access to a forum which has all the topics for the activity (if that's how it works)

When it's over you just bin the group and do the next one.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

KevC wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:33 pm Possible idea....

Make a group which has membership by request (or make it open so once they're in that's it)
Anyone who wants in can request to join the group
You just approve everyone.
Give that group access to a forum which has all the topics for the activity (if that's how it works)

When it's over you just bin the group and do the next one.
Thanks for the idea. I'm sure it would work for some things, but unfortunately I still think a simple sign-up sheet kind of thing is still needed. Something a group leader could create, like a poll would be perfect.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Maybe this extension will light a candle Date Topic Event Calendar?
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

GanstaZ wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 1:06 pm Maybe this extension will light a candle Date Topic Event Calendar?
hmm. It's really hard to tell from the description. It looks more like a meeting planner kind of thing.

What we do are month-long activities where the people who sign up are paired and work together on a kind of assignment.

I'm just looking for something simple, to collect names of people who want to participate that month. Really that's all it has to do. Just a list of names.

Right now, someone opens up signup with a topic like: "Sign up Now for the June Activity". People reply to that topic so there are many replies, but sometimes they are questions or people comment "glad you're joining" or whatever and it becomes a long unweildy thing that you have to go back and figure out who is actually signing up. There may be 30 replies and only 5 are people saying "I'm in". So no one can tell at a glance what's going on.

And this is how it goes for about 6 or 8 activities per month.

I'm thinking of something like the polling feature, only there is a username attached to the reply. You click, "sign me up" and the username goes on a list.

Actually that would be great to have it like polling then people we could put all the activities on one polling thing, and users could select the activity they want to join in on.

That would exactly fit the bill.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

I don't remember how current poll works, haven't used it for awhile, but wasn't there a future that shows who has voted (create 1 topic add a poll, when event has ended, close/change a poll)? Seems that you can't see the ones who have voted. Well.. in that case, if above extension doesn't fit, then you have to wait for another solution.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

GanstaZ wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:56 pm I don't remember how current poll works, haven't used it for awhile, but wasn't there a future that shows who has voted (create 1 topic add a poll, when event has ended, close/change a poll)? Seems that you can't see the ones who have voted. Well.. in that case, if above extension doesn't fit, then you have to wait for another solution.
I think at the end all you get is a total number of responses. There is no option when setting up a poll to collect names.
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

lavalamp213 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:13 pm
GanstaZ wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:56 pm I don't remember how current poll works, haven't used it for awhile, but wasn't there a future that shows who has voted (create 1 topic add a poll, when event has ended, close/change a poll)? Seems that you can't see the ones who have voted. Well.. in that case, if above extension doesn't fit, then you have to wait for another solution.
I think at the end all you get is a total number of responses. There is no option when setting up a poll to collect names.
John P
Name: John

Post by John P »

Maybe this is what you are searching for Participate
Webhosting, Custom MODs, Technical management, MOD installation and Webdesign
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

John P wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:14 pm Maybe this is what you are searching for Participate
That looks like it might be it. But what about this:

Note: This extension is in development. Installation is only recommended for testing purposes and is not supported on live boards. This extension will be officially released following phpBB 3.1.0. Extension depends on two core changes.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

GanstaZ wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:56 pm .. <snip>.. in that case, if above extension doesn't fit, then you have to wait for another solution.
The extension GanstaZ linked you to does, at the present stage, what you want but the final option you are looking for - That's under development as well with a lot more btw. Those extras haven't been published, yet. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

3Di wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:16 pm
GanstaZ wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:56 pm .. <snip>.. in that case, if above extension doesn't fit, then you have to wait for another solution.
The extension GanstaZ linked you to does, at the present stage, what you want but the final option you are looking for - That's under development as well with a lot more btw. Those extras haven't been published, yet. :)
Thanks. I'm looking forward to those. Any idea how soon they might be published and approved? Weeks, Months?
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

lavalamp213 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:20 pm Thanks. I'm looking forward to those. Any idea how soon they might be published and approved? Weeks, Months?
Just subscribe to the topic and follow the development, published should be a question of 1/2 months approx.

Approved? That's a good question, too much from heaven if I knew. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

lavalamp213 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:13 pmThere is no option when setting up a poll to collect names
Nor should there be, what you’re suggesting is data gathering. A poll should be a poll, yes or no, not about who votes for what imo. GDPR may be interested in that idea.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 »

Mick wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:39 am
lavalamp213 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:13 pmThere is no option when setting up a poll to collect names
Nor should there be, what you’re suggesting is data gathering. A poll should be a poll, yes or no, not about who votes for what imo. GDPR may be interested in that idea.
Right. I'm not suggesting there should be. I was just acknowledging the difference between a poll and what I'm looking for (a sign-up sheet) and maybe offering the idea that the polling feature could be adjusted to suit that, however it would no longer be a poll of course. People would be fully aware they were signing up for something and their names (or more likely, usernames) were being collected.

The cool thing about the polling feature is anyone with the correct permission can make one without a bottleneck of requiring an admin to do it. Being able to create a sign-up sheet for activities the same way would be great.

Return to “Extension Requests”