[3.2][RC] Privacy Policy

A place for Extension Authors to post and receive feedback on Extensions still in development. No Extensions within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: Extensions Development rules

IMPORTANT FOR NEEDED EVENTS!!!
If you need an event for your extension please read this for the steps to follow to request the event(s)
david63
Name: David Wood

Re: [3.2][RC] Privacy Policy

Post by david63 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Thanks - I will take a look later
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

david63

Post by david63 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Version RC4 released - see first post for download.

The major change in this version is that there is now an option to select which CPFs appear on the Privacy Data output. The option is within the "Options" for each CPF and is initially set yo show them all which means that you may have to go through the ones that you do not want to appear and disable them (it was either that or set them all to not show and go through and enable them!)

There are a few bug fixes as well

Also there are a few changes (not many) in the language files (sorry)

To install this version
  • Disable the Privacy Policy extension - there is no need to Delete Data
  • Delete the files
  • Upload the new files
  • Enable the extension
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

tlem
Name: Thierry

Post by tlem » Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Hi David.
First of all, tank you for your work.

As you seem to want to take into account the European GDPR, and to be even more compatible with it, is it possible to add an option to export the personal data (profile, messages, etc...) in cvs or text file?
If you consider my request, it would be wise to add security on the export function to prevent someone from doing this action multiple times in a short time. A delay of 24 hours would limit the server load or something for an administrator to authorize the request and in this case the data could be sent by email.

A link at the bottom of the page to the privacy policy would also be welcome.

Best regards
Thierry

david63

Post by david63 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:22 pm

tlem wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 pm
is it possible to add an option to export the personal data (profile, messages, etc...) in cvs or text file?
I have thought about that, and I might implement later.

Whilst I accept that this is a part of GDPR my own view is that very few will actually use it for what it is intended. There will be some who will try it out because it is there and then do nothing with the data and in actual fact the downloading of their personal data and leaving it on a computer somewhere could be considered as a breach of the regulations. There is always the option to print the screen with the data on it.
David

tlem

Post by tlem » Mon May 14, 2018 9:08 pm

In fact, it seems that in the new European regulation a user must be able to "take away" the data he has communicated on a platform.
Since the data belong to him, this can not be a breach of the regulations.
It is not specified that he himself could achieve this action, but it would be something less to manage by the administrator.
And then, you have already done half the work since it can already display all this informations.

I join you in the fact that few people will use this, but it's an important part of the GDPR
I don't know if you understand French (not finding English version), but you can take a look on this. This is a sweetened version of European users rights.
Otherwise, you have this, but it's less digestible ...

Thierry

tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag » Mon May 14, 2018 9:12 pm

tojag wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:56 am
The extension displays the position "user's posts", that is, however, do you treat posts as private personal data? I guess everyone here convinced me that posts on the public forum can not be private. Uhmm ... I do not know what to think about it. Because if it is private data, then it will be necessary to export them on demand and delete them with the deletion of the account. Since there is no unambiguous solution to this problem, it would be good to have an option to disable links to user posts in the settings. This is just my suggestion.
GDPR applies to personal data only. So, whether posts are personal or not? If so, you also have to delete them on the user's request.
Sorry my english. I hope You understand what I mean.

tlem

Post by tlem » Mon May 14, 2018 9:28 pm

According to the GDPR, any data transmitted to a platform by a user must be retrievable for possible retransmission to another platform.
It also seems to me that in a detailed text concerning the GDPR I read that this data should be able to be recovered in cvs format.

Edit :
There is the GDPR in English. See page 45 Article 20 - Right to data portability. Since a message may contain personal data, it would be tedious for an administrator to sort the messages. Charge the user to do this. And in this case, what's easier than doing your research offline in a specific file.

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ » Mon May 14, 2018 10:03 pm

And what will you do with this cvs file, let it collect dust or import it to what platform?)
"When answer lies in the question,.. question becomes redundant!"

tlem

Post by tlem » Mon May 14, 2018 10:45 pm

I'm an administrator of two phpBB forums, and being in France, I would be submitted to the GDPR after May 25th. So if a user asks me to get all the data collected by the forum, I am obliged to provide them.
In the immediate future, the extention of David does the job, but if by extension it is also necessary to provide all the data transmitted by the user (like his messages), I do not see myself performing the export manually with SQL requests.
As the extension is under development, and I understand that David63 wanted to do something consistent with the GDPR, it seemed sensible to suggest this option.

Afterwards, as far as I'm concerned, I do not wait after that. ^^
If needed, there is this alternative but that seems to me less complete than that of David63.

As in France it is late, I must go to sleep because I have two days of intensive work quite far from home. But I would not fail to follow the rest of the conversation on my smartphone.

Good day for those who get up and good night for those who like me go to sleep. ^^

david63

Post by david63 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:16 am

I don't have a major issue with creating a csv of a user's personal data (it just did not seen as important as getting the main part of the extension working) but as for creating a csv, or any other format file, of a user's posts is another matter.

A csv of posts might work where a user only has a few posts but when you get into the realms of 20+k posts (and the likes of this board with 60k) then I suspect that the csv would fail in size alone. From my experience with csv files there would be numerous problems with the format of the actual post content which could make processing more complex than it needs to be.

There is then the issue of how do you present the data - do you give them "raw" data or do you format it? Do we also have to retain deleted posts and include those? And then what about attachments - do you have to include those as well? And finally do you have to include any posts where a user has been quoted or mentioned in another post?

Are we then going to start including private messages? Would we have to rewrite the PM system so that it could handle "soft deletes"?

As far as I can interpret the the regulations posts are not personal data and even without all of the above issues would not constitute something that would need to be "given" to the user.

My view, and that of many others, is that anything that you post on a board is "in the public domain" and that is where is should stay.
tlem wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:28 pm
According to the GDPR, any data transmitted to a platform by a user must be retrievable for possible retransmission to another platform.
It also seems to me that in a detailed text concerning the GDPR I read that this data should be able to be recovered in cvs format.
I think you mean any personal data must be retrievable, not any data. If you are going down that route then, technically, you would have to store all header information of every packet that you transmit - and that is never going to happen.

The ability to "retransmit" the data is another pointless statement. If you have a csv file of your personal data from a phpBB board how would you handle it being transmitted to another phpBB, or any other, board - there is no facility to import a csv file and if you could do it then it would be nonsense.
David

tojag

Post by tojag » Tue May 15, 2018 7:27 am

Tlem, GDPR only concerns personal data, not all data.
Whether the posts are personal or not, I was convinced in this topic by almost everyone. If it's possible to export, people will be having fun, nothing more. Additionally, they will think that posts are personal data, so they will demand removal of posts, which we do not want as administrators. Truth? If you want to talk about it, I invite you to this topic.

David, if you could add an option to enable / disable a link to "your posts" on the privacy tab, that would be nice. In general, I would have turned them off so people would not think that it was personal data.

I have not tested RC4 yet, but now it seems to me that the bigger problem is that the extension does not work in IE and Edge than the ability to export data. Still about 15% of Internet users use these browsers, and in the group of older people this share is bigger because they can not install anything more. I have on the forum of many who learn a computer, they do not know what PM is or how to do something. They use system browsers and may not have information about GDPR. Many people also use system browsers on smartphones. I often see something from Samsung. I do not know if the extension will work or not. I have to check it out.

david63

Post by david63 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 am

tojag wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:27 am
t seems to me that the bigger problem is that the extension does not work in IE and Edge
In what way - that is the first I have heard about that being a problem.
David

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue May 15, 2018 7:43 am

tojag wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:27 am
in the group of older people this share is bigger because they can not install anything more
I take exception to that statement, I know us ‘older’ people are sub-millennial but we’re still breathing and quite capable of holding our own. I’m quite able to install whatever I want when I want, please do not generalise you’ll be old yourself one day.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

tojag

Post by tojag » Tue May 15, 2018 8:18 am

If we write here, we do not belong to this group :) Do not compare yourself to others. Believe me, I have a forum on which most people rather be over 60 and they often have many problems with computer support. Of course, you can write in the technical terms of the site that FF or Chrome is required for proper operation. However, I would like to draw attention to this fact.

I am testing RC4.
I still have CPF field values in English on the privacy tab, even though the UCP-Profile tab is correct. Does anyone else have that?

I have added a link to the Cookie Policy in the message about the use of cookies. If I block the links until I accept cookies in the ACP settings, I can go to this link and the Rules will be displayed but I can not find out more until I accept. So, for example, the link to www.aboutcookies.org will not work. This is understandable and probably nothing can be done, although I saw a solution where the Privacy Policy was opened in a new browser tab as another website where there was no link blocking and there you can freely read the Privacy Policy and other rules and go for active links to further details. Interesting solution.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 am

IMHO Posts are not 'personal information'so the ability to be downloaded is not required (and can be viewed by clicking 'view my posts' anyway)

'Personal information' can be viewed by going to the profile tab in the UCP and downloaded by screenshot if required.

The only thing 'missing' is ip information, which is (as we all know) a waste of time. FWIW heres mine from one of my fora

Code: Select all

Registration IP:			82.23.163.133
IP addresses that you have used:	81.109.173.117

Posted by another old person

Return to “Extensions in Development”