Initial issue fixed, hangs on 2 files files now.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Curmudgeon

Re: Initial issue fixed, hangs on 2 files files now.

Post by Curmudgeon »

So, what am I doing wrong?

Or better, how do I fix it from this point?
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

You click update => update. If everything is done as described in update article, then all should be good.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

Yet, it isn't. I was told not to click the update that that was wrong, see previous posts. That I was to follow the instructions, which I have done since the start but have done what has been said... and nothing has changed on my part.

...nor with my site and the db not being updated.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

edit: I am not sure if you should be seeing that page at all unless you have downloaded and are using the auto update files again.

let me test to see.
edit: I was wrong, you do get that page, however if you have already updated the files when you click the update button at the bottom of the page you will get a page that says update datab ase only and you click that button.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

I did not download the wrong file, 3.2.2 only...

It isn't rocket science guys and I'm not an idiot. I can delete a list of files out of the package and all but a handful from the site w/o screwing it up despite what you all must think. Multiple times...
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Database can't update if you don't click update button. You don't update files in acp, you update database.
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

I just dumped the 3.2.2 bs and have set it upgraded to 3.1.12 w/o any errors...

Only the image's on the forums seem a bit large, but all green lights... in a little over 2 hours this morning.

Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

Now, as a human, a user, a s.o.b., and longtime professional in IT.

You want to be professional, don't put out pkgs that have to be massaged to get them to install properly, known 3.2.2 install issues.

Don't include any options as part of any new install.
If it is to be a feature in a future release, tell us we need to get it, make it an official Ext. release prior to adding it as an actual "feature" versus being an option.

I choose my options, you don't.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

As a pro in IT field, you gave up way too fast. You should not give up after few update issues. I use development server to test all versions, before main update. All those packages except full(install phpbb) are not needed & it has been mentioned so many times that full package should be used. Knows issues is a fix for some problems that may arise when updating or after success update, it will fix attachments issue.
Lumpy Burgertushie

I know this can be very frustrating when things go wrong.

in the situation though , apparently you did not understand that there are two versions of the update. one is the autoupdate version and the other is the full package.

the autoupdate that you have probably been using all along does not work properly for the 3.1 to 3.2 upgrade ( not update, upgrade ).

should they remove it? I think so. the full package and file replacement that was mentioned several times in this topic works pretty much perfectlly everytime when done properly.

you can't get messages about merging files etc. you just get the update tab and when you click on it you get the update screen telling you to update the database only.

that is it. it works for thousands of people all of the time.

If you decide to try it again, follow the instructions below exactly and in order and I bet you a nickel it will work the first time.
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/

luck,
robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

If I do anything at this juncture it'll be to leave phpBBb after more than 20 years.

I like to pretend I'm a professional in some aspect. I pretend I know what I do and all I try to do is give folks a stable forum that can do most of the media and social tie-ins.

If I have to massage a package to get it to install, I'm not the one failing to grasp who has the real issue here.

You work for us...not the other way around.

You are the option, not whether or not I can get it to work as you tell us it does when it doesn't.

This is a generic observation of the attitude here, not just this extension.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Curmudgeon wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:38 pmIf I do anything at this juncture it'll be to leave phpBBb after more than 20 years.
Its not been going 20 years.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Lumpy Burgertushie

you keep talking about having to "massage" it to get it to install/upgrade. that is not the case for all the thousands of people who have been able to do it with no problems. what is true is that in almost all cases where people have problems with the upgrade it is becuase they are not following the instructions properly.

if there was a problem with phpbb it would be the same for all, not just for you.

keep in mind, the people that you see here with problems are the few compared to the many who never come here because they don't have the problems.

the fact that you managed to go back to 3.1 and have that work simply proves that you were not doing it properly with the upgrade to 3.2

it is rather simple really. you delete all the old files except for the config.php file and the images, files and ext folders.
then you upload all new files and folders except for the config.php file.

then you update the database from the install/update page.

if you do this, you will never see anything about updating the files on that page, you will never see anything about downloading any archive/zip files , you will only see the message that it can't find any update directory and to update the database only.
you then click that button and you are done.

luck,
robert

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I am sorry you had difficulties. Some aspects of the software, like all software, may not be perfect.

There is no need to rehash what the source of the problems may have been, since you have reverted to a 3.1 installation. I hope it meets your needs.

I do want to address one comment of yours, and that is regarding who "works" for whom. The answer is, no one, Team Member or user "works" for anyone else. This is community-supported free software, created by volunteers, maintained by volunteers, upgraded/date by volunteers and supported by volunteers, all of whom are just users like yourself. They devote their own time with no compensation solely to provide a free product they hope will be useful to others. They are under no obligation to do anything for anyone, except as they choose to do so.

I see that you had no support issues from your join date in 2012 until 2016 when you had some server issues, so I assume that phpBB was meeting your needs without a problem for those 4 years, and that you had no further support issues from December 2016 to the present. I hope you can continue to use phpBB and we can continue to try to help you do so to the best of our abilities.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Curmudgeon

Post by Curmudgeon »

This forum has been on phpBB since it's inception back in the 1990's as "AssMoTax", a local political forum on taxes.

That is my reference point for the statement.

All I've pointed out here is how things didn't go as you say.

...and your own answers also point that out. Fix your package, why does anyone have to massage a new install to get it to work? (see known 3.2.2 issues)

How does that get approval for distribution?

fyi, I checked off the files on the install list as I deleted them on the package, I opened my Blue Host file mgr, and the instructions in side by side windows and deleted all but the folders and files I wasn't to delete, visually. I ran a calibration lab at one time, it is all about "details". I have zero doubt I did my part right. I'm anal that way.
Last edited by Curmudgeon on Tue May 22, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”