How to BLOCK user access - UPDATE phpBB 3.1.12 to the currently latest phpBB 3.2.2 - ALLOW again user access?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
phpbbX

How to BLOCK user access - UPDATE phpBB 3.1.12 to the currently latest phpBB 3.2.2 - ALLOW again user access?

Post by phpbbX »

Hi,

"Administration Control Panel - General - Welcome to phpBB” shows Database server: MySQL(i) 5.0.77 & Board version 3.1.12.
"Administration Control Panel - General - Quick Access - PHP information” shows PHP Version 7.2.4.

Please, note that I am a newbie and do not know much about phpBB or programming. A simple step-by-step procedure ("idiot-proof") will be most appreciated. I work on macOS 10.12.6 (16G1408) Sierra.

Thanks!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: How to BLOCK user access - UPDATE phpBB 3.1.12 to the currently latest phpBB 3.2.2 - ALLOW again user access?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

assuming that you mean you want to turn off users access while you are doing the update;

first, there is no real reason to do it since if someone tries to access the board they will most likely not be able to anyway.

second, go into the admin panel, default tab, on the left menu will be board settings. click on that, then select yes for "disable board"

click submit at the bottom and you are done.

now for the update.
follow these instructions: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/
do all the steps exactly and in order and you should have no problems.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
phpbbX

Re: How to BLOCK user access - UPDATE phpBB 3.1.12 to the currently latest phpBB 3.2.2 - ALLOW again user access?

Post by phpbbX »

Many thanks. The link at
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/
shows:

--------------------------------
Upgrading from 3.1 to 3.2
If prompted to merge or overwrite directories, choose to merge them.
--------------------------------

There are directories to merge, but in one instance there is also the file "index.htm". Should I overwrite it, or maintain the older one? I this case, the FTP application named Transmit from Panic at
https://panic.com/transmit
does not offer the option to merge such "index.htm".
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

If you are talking about "merging files" you have not followed the instructions. Look at the link Lumpy gave you and FOLLOW those instructions.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Lumpy Burgertushie

you just upload the files and let your ftp program overwrite any with the same name.
merging is usually only about folders , not files.
the only file you have to worry about is the config.php file. you do NOT want to overwrite that one with the blank one from your computer.

however, if you have followed the instructions and have backup of your files you could always just upload your backup copy of that file if you accidentily overwrote it.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
phpbbX

Post by phpbbX »

Many thanks. I replaced "index.htm" when prompted. Yes, I followed the direction, but Transmit FTP client prompted to merge folders (which I did) and replace such "index.htm" (which I also did).

It worked great in general, but now the custom board heading logo on top-left side of web pages (replacing the standard one, which is the "phpBB creating communities" showing on this forum, above) which is stored in the FTP server at "styles/prosilver/theme/images/site_logo.gif" shows wrong (partially duplicated) on web browsers like Safari, Firefox, Chrome or Opera on macOS 10.12.6 (16G1408) Sierra. It showed OK on phpBB 3.1.12 a day ago, but not in phpBB 3.2.2 now. In particular (this is just an example for the sake of the discussion):

If the correct logo is something like this (ignore the "_"; if I type spaces instead it does not show properly here):

__1234567890
____ 1234567890

The one showing now is something like the above, plus the left part of it showing on the right side as duplicated portion of it. Really weird:

1234567890_____1234
__1234567890_____12
____1234567890

How to fix it? I have double-checked and reloaded again the "site_logo.gif" to no avail. Such "site_logo.gif" image file looks OK on the FTP and Mac Finder. I guess this could be a phpBB 3.2.2 bug, since such issue did not arise in phpBB 3.1.12 as said.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

A link to your board will help a lot.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

phpbbX wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:35 am Yes, I followed the direction, but Transmit FTP client prompted to merge folders (which I did) and replace such "index.htm" (which I also did).
I will say once more. If you got a prompt to merge folders, you did NOT follow the instructions because you would have deleted the folders in accordance with the directions. The folders you didn't delete, you would not have uploaded, so there would be nothing to merge.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
phpbbX

Post by phpbbX »

Thanks for the replies. I can assure you that I followed directions with special care. The forum was updated from phpBB 2.0.23 to phpBB 3.1.12 (that was done by other person and I had to edit the logo, which is a folder icon, to fit, since otherwise it showed truncated). Four days later, the forum was updated from phpBB 3.1.12 (logo showed OK after editing, as said) to phpBB 3.2.2 (logo did not show OK, as explained above).

The current forum with phpBB 3.2.2 is
http://www.uco.es/estudios/sep/titulos_ ... /index.php

You can see the former (phpBB 2) logo at
http://www.uco.es/estudios/sep/titulos_ ... formaprofe

As far as I understand, this seems to be a phpBB 3.2.2 bug, since it did not show with phpBB 3.1.12, as indicated above.
Lumpy Burgertushie

viewtopic.php?p=15035141#p15035141

if there was a bug then it would affect everyone and since this is the first I have heard of this type of problem, I assume it is caused by the fact that you have not completed a proper upgrade yet.

robert

phpbbX

Post by phpbbX »

I have backup copies of previous forum versions. What would you recommend to fix the issue? Thanks.

On the other hand, I must say that the issue only arises with such custom icon at "styles/prosilver/theme/images/site_logo.gif". If instead I restore via FTP the original default "site_logo.gif" which looks like the one on top-left of this forum ("phpBB creating communities"), it shows OK (not duplicated-truncated).
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Restore the original site_logo.gif and then install your custom logo following this - https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... oard-logo/
phpbbX

Post by phpbbX »

Thanks. I have already replaced the "styles/prosilver/theme/images/site_logo.gif" in FTP server to no avail:

- When I remove such file, no logo is shown as expected.
- When I use the standard official phpBB one, it shows OK.
- When I use the customized one, the duplicated-truncated issue arises.

If you want to test, here are the "site_logo.gif" files (attached):

-------------------------
01-Official phpBB <-- This shows OK in 3.1.12 & phpBB 3.2.2 (as expected)
02-Custom 2 for phpBB3 <-- This shows OK in phpBB 2.0.23, but truncated in phpBB 3.1.12 & 3.2.2
03-Custom 2 for phpBB3 <-- This shows OK in phpBB 3.1.12, but duplicated-truncated in phpBB 3.2.2

Several notes:

1. The board is inside phpBB2 (not phpBB3) in FTP server, to retain original web URL. I guess that should not cause any problem.

2. There is indeed a folder to merge! I have rechecked now and confirmed that there is indeed a folder (ext) that is duplicated when following directions above for "Upgrading from 3.1 to 3.2" at
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade31

Such duplicated folder is named "ext". It was in the board (red color, as others from board with such color) and it was also in the phpBB 3.2.2 package (black color, as others from package with such color):

adm
app.php
assets
bin
cache
common.php
composer.json
composer.lock
config
cron.php
docs
download
ext <-- This is from board
ext <-- This is from package
faq.php
feed.php
files <-- This is from board
images <-- This is from board
includes
index.php
install
language
mcp.php
memberlist.php
phpbb
phpBB3
posting.php
report.php
search.php
store <-- This is from board
styles
ucp.php
vendor
viewforum.php
viewonline.php
viewtopic.php
web.config
Attachments
01-Official phpBB
01-Official phpBB
site_logo.gif (4.95 KiB) Viewed 798 times
02-Custom 1 for phpBB2
02-Custom 1 for phpBB2
site_logo.gif (5.49 KiB) Viewed 798 times
03-Custom 2 for phpBB3
03-Custom 2 for phpBB3
site_logo.gif (3.24 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Lumpy Burgertushie

you are fine about the merging folders. you do not HAVE to remove those same folders from the upload that you left on the server. some instructions tell you to do so just in case but I have never seen it cause a problem.

so, if you chose merge for those few folders and files that is fine.

as to the logo. you apparently did not edit the common.css file as the instructions tell you to.

it still shows the dimensions for the standard phpbb logo of width: 149px; height: 52px;

you need to set that to the actual dimensions of your new logo file which are 128x54

the reason for the duplication is because you set a space for the logo of 149 wide and it is trying to repeat itself because it is really only 128 pixes wide.

so, once you fix that in the common.css file it should all work just fine.

robert

phpbbX

Post by phpbbX »

Many thanks. I have changed the "/styles/prosilver/theme/common.css" and now the custom logo (128 x 54 pixels) shows OK in Firefox, Chrome and Opera, but not in Safari 11.1.1 (12605.2.8) in macOS 10.12.6 (16G1408) Sierra, where the issue remains (logo showing partially duplicated-truncated, as explained above). Really weird.
Last edited by phpbbX on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”