Google index

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Affin
I've Been Banned!

Google index

Post by Affin »

500 indexed in total, what is indexed? :D
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Google index

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

what are you talking about?

often when you post a question it is like you started in the middle of a conversation that only you are having.

please give more detail about what you are trying to do /find out etc.

robert
Affin
I've Been Banned!

Post by Affin »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:48 pm what are you talking about?

often when you post a question it is like you started in the middle of a conversation that only you are having.

please give more detail about what you are trying to do /find out etc.

robert

I ask, on the Google webmaster that I have an account, there are over 500 pages indexed. I wonder what has indexed, how do I see what is indexed?

Then it's good if you quote me so I know I have a question to answer.
Lumpy Burgertushie

I assume that you have at least 500 pages to your website and that is what google is telling you it has indexed.
as for any questions about what that means you would have to ask google. we don't have any idea about what google is doing or how or why it is doing it.

also, if you want to be notified of a reply you need to check your notification settings so that you get one whether you are quoted or not.

robert
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

It is easy to see what google has indexed.
Just go to the google.com search page and search “site:yoursite.tld”
For instance, to see what is indexed from this board, type in “site:phpbb.com/community”
Affin
I've Been Banned!

Post by Affin »

Danniella wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 pm 500 pages indexed, that is a pretty big site to control. How is that managed?
Going well to handle actually
Affin
I've Been Banned!

Post by Affin »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:58 pm I assume that you have at least 500 pages to your website and that is what google is telling you it has indexed.
as for any questions about what that means you would have to ask google. we don't have any idea about what google is doing or how or why it is doing it.

also, if you want to be notified of a reply you need to check your notification settings so that you get one whether you are quoted or not.

robert
Lumpy, now you're on the off topic sub forum, I do not request an explanation of anyone but asked if anyone knew.You are usually unpleasant in your posts.
Lumpy Burgertushie

your first post made no sense.
Affin wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:33 pm 500 indexed in total, what is indexed?
500 what indexed in total?
what is indexed? what does that mean?

what I said about starting a conversation in the middle is true. you seem to do that all the time here. I was not trying to mean, I was trying to make you understand that if you want help you have to use more words, you have to be clear and specific with your questions.

we are not mind readers and can not help if you do not tell us what you are talking about.

If you think I am unpleasant then I apologize, it is never my intention to be unpleasant. It is always my intention to be helpful. sometimes that means explaining to people how to ask for help properly etc.

robert
Affin
I've Been Banned!

Post by Affin »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:40 am your first post made no sense.
Affin wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:33 pm 500 indexed in total, what is indexed?
500 what indexed in total?
what is indexed? what does that mean?

what I said about starting a conversation in the middle is true. you seem to do that all the time here. I was not trying to mean, I was trying to make you understand that if you want help you have to use more words, you have to be clear and specific with your questions.

we are not mind readers and can not help if you do not tell us what you are talking about.

If you think I am unpleasant then I apologize, it is never my intention to be unpleasant. It is always my intention to be helpful. sometimes that means explaining to people how to ask for help properly etc.

robert
In the end Lumpy, avoid quoting me, are you kind. You may be helpful, but I'd rather refrain from answering my questions. Do not really want to mess with someone here, you seem to bother me on my threads and I start bothering you if I'm to be honest.
Attachments
Screenshot 2018-06-14 tm. 02.59.32.png
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I already explained how to see which pages are indexed.
Affin
I've Been Banned!

Post by Affin »

Brf wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:17 am I already explained how to see which pages are indexed.
Thanks. With a nice reply from you, I did it and saw what's indexed.
Macko
Name: Mac Ko

Post by Macko »

Since we are on the subject....

Google says I have about 30,000 pages indexed.

Bing says I have about 200,000 pages indexed.

I looked into it, and it appears that Google is using 'pagenation' indexing, meaning one topic, no matter how many pages/posts you see is ONLY indexed as ONE long page.

Bing seems to be indexing every 10 posts as one page.

Is there a suggested method one way or the other? I would assume there is an SEO friendly way of doing it which is better than the other, but I'm not sure which is better.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this??

It appears that Google is obeying my sitemap rules, while Bing isn't, but that doesn't help me decide which way I should have it set up. My next action plan is to get a Bing Console set up so that I can get it to crawl my site exactly how it should be doing (since it appears to be ignoring my sitemap).

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Who knows, ask bing and google?

Bulletin board and a site map? Does that even work?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Macko
Name: Mac Ko

Post by Macko »

Mick wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:37 pm Who knows, ask bing and google?

Bulletin board and a site map? Does that even work?
I hope I'm using the right term, lol. I said 'sitemap' but is it something else that you use to tell Google what pages to ignore? Maybe I should have said robot.txt file. Does that make more sense??

Some of you guys on here seem to have no clue about anything if it's not phpBB directly, which is kind of sad sometimes, as the internet is a huuuuuuuuuge place, and search engines are a huge part of making sure you guys stay relevant for years to come.

I would just naturally assume that someone involved with phpBB would have a clue about the rest of the world out there, and not just know about errors within your own software.

Maybe I read into your answer wrong, and I meant no offense, but it often seems like the phpBB team things that your software doesn't have any relationship to how the rest of the internet works. I think if you guys took just a little bit of time to improve the SEO aspects of phpBB out of the box you'd dominate other forum software out there without any doubt, but it seems to be that as long as the software 'functions' without throwing up any errors, you are 100% satisfied with it and think there is no room for improvement.

Anyways, I still can only hope that someone on the phpBB team has an idea if we should be getting our sites indexed with pagenation or not, but I guess we will see.

Thanks for your reply, Mick, and I could have definitely mixed up robot.txt and sitemap, lol.
Davey123

Post by Davey123 »

Hi Macko, did you find an answer in the end?

Return to “General Discussion”