Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
User avatar
Matthew G. Saroff
Registered User
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 8:48 pm
Name: Matthew G. Saroff

Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by Matthew G. Saroff » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:06 pm

I have a couple of users who want have a style where there is no Smileys posting panel:
smileys.PNG
They want the highlighted bit removed.

Are there already extant files that do this, or would I have to edit a style.

If so, what edits/admin commands would be required?

Also, is it spelled smileys, or smilies?
--
The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries, satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.

User avatar
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 51402
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: {postrow.POSTER_FROM}
Contact:

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by Brf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 pm

The Support forum is not the place to ask about editing styles. You should either be asking in Custom Coding, or the support area for your specific style.

janus_zonstraal
Registered User
Posts: 2704
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by janus_zonstraal » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Can't you activate the "Quick response" setting, there are no smileys.

ACP => General => postsettings =>

Allow quick reply:
This switch allows for the quick reply to be disabled board-wide. When enabled, forum specific settings will be used to determine whether the quick reply is displayed in individual forums.
It is better than edit all your core file and have a big problem on the next update/grade
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

User avatar
3Di
Registered User
Posts: 12999
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Milan (IT) Frankfurt (DE)
Name: Marco
Contact:

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by 3Di » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Matthew G. Saroff wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:06 pm
Also, is it spelled smileys, or smilies?
wolfs of wolves?

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... es%3B%2Cc0
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate

:game_die: The new Dice Roller extension for phpBB 3.2 is out! :game_die:

Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

User avatar
Matthew G. Saroff
Registered User
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 8:48 pm
Name: Matthew G. Saroff

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by Matthew G. Saroff » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:33 pm

Brf wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 pm
The Support forum is not the place to ask about editing styles. You should either be asking in Custom Coding, or the support area for your specific style.
Is there a way for me to move this to the other forum, or do I have to ask the mods.
janus_zonstraal wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:33 pm
Can't you activate the "Quick response" setting, there are no smileys.

ACP => General => postsettings =>

Allow quick reply:
This switch allows for the quick reply to be disabled board-wide. When enabled, forum specific settings will be used to determine whether the quick reply is displayed in individual forums.
It is better than edit all your core file and have a big problem on the next update/grade
Already done, but that eliminates the toolbar too.

He (actually they, there are 2) has an issue with animated Gifs.
--
The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries, satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.

User avatar
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 51402
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: {postrow.POSTER_FROM}
Contact:

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by Brf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Matthew G. Saroff wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:33 pm

He (actually they, there are 2) has an issue with animated Gifs.
Then turn off the animated ones in ACP / Posting / Smilies

User avatar
GanstaZ
Registered User
Posts: 569
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: Zverse

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by GanstaZ » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 pm

There are a lot of ways to remove smilies panel from posting. One way is to edit posting_editor.html template file and remove:

Code: Select all

		<!-- IF S_SMILIES_ALLOWED and .smiley -->
			<strong>{L_SMILIES}</strong><br />
			<!-- BEGIN smiley -->
				<a href="#" onclick="insert_text('{smiley.A_SMILEY_CODE}', true); return false;"><img src="{smiley.SMILEY_IMG}" width="{smiley.SMILEY_WIDTH}" height="{smiley.SMILEY_HEIGHT}" alt="{smiley.SMILEY_CODE}" title="{smiley.SMILEY_DESC}" /></a>
			<!-- END smiley -->
		<!-- ENDIF -->
		<!-- IF S_SHOW_SMILEY_LINK and S_SMILIES_ALLOWED -->
			<br /><a href="{U_MORE_SMILIES}" onclick="popup(this.href, 750, 350, '_phpbbsmilies'); return false;">{L_MORE_SMILIES}</a>
		<!-- ENDIF -->
But with new updates you have to redo it. Other one is to make a very small and easy extension and use 2 events (posting_editor_smilies_before/posting_editor_smilies_after) to hide that code for specific style & no more edits are required.
Last edited by GanstaZ on Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When answer lies in the question,.. question becomes redundant!"

User avatar
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 51402
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: {postrow.POSTER_FROM}
Contact:

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by Brf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:04 pm

There is only like 3 animated gifs in the default collection. It is simple to remove those from the display.

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 20237
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by Mick » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:23 pm

Are you saying the animated smilies upset the two users somehow? How do they manage in real life, animated images are everywhere?

I believe it’s wolves and smilies.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

User avatar
david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 14944
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by david63 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:27 pm

Matthew G. Saroff wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:06 pm
I have a couple of users who want have a style where there is no Smileys posting panel:
And what about the rest of your users? Bad move pampering to the whims of just two users. This is your board and you run it the way you want - if somebody does not like it then they know the alternative.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
Matthew G. Saroff
Registered User
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 8:48 pm
Name: Matthew G. Saroff

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by Matthew G. Saroff » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:32 am

david63 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:27 pm
Matthew G. Saroff wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:06 pm
I have a couple of users who want have a style where there is no Smileys posting panel:
And what about the rest of your users? Bad move pampering to the whims of just two users. This is your board and you run it the way you want - if somebody does not like it then they know the alternative.
No, I'm just going to add a style that ANY user can use, but I did not see one in the downloadable section, so I need to take "Prosilver", and create a "Dull Motherf%$#er Prosilver" style.
GanstaZ wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 pm
There are a lot of ways to remove smilies panel from posting. One way is to edit posting_editor.html template file and remove:

Code: Select all

		<!-- IF S_SMILIES_ALLOWED and .smiley -->
			<strong>{L_SMILIES}</strong><br />
			<!-- BEGIN smiley -->
				<a href="#" onclick="insert_text('{smiley.A_SMILEY_CODE}', true); return false;"><img src="{smiley.SMILEY_IMG}" width="{smiley.SMILEY_WIDTH}" height="{smiley.SMILEY_HEIGHT}" alt="{smiley.SMILEY_CODE}" title="{smiley.SMILEY_DESC}" /></a>
			<!-- END smiley -->
		<!-- ENDIF -->
		<!-- IF S_SHOW_SMILEY_LINK and S_SMILIES_ALLOWED -->
			<br /><a href="{U_MORE_SMILIES}" onclick="popup(this.href, 750, 350, '_phpbbsmilies'); return false;">{L_MORE_SMILIES}</a>
		<!-- ENDIF -->
But with new updates you have to redo it. Other one is to make a very small and easy extension and use 2 events (posting_editor_smilies_before/posting_editor_smilies_after) to hide that code for specific style & no more edits are required.
Thanks.
--
The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries, satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 20237
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by Mick » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:34 am

Brf wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:29 pm
The Support forum is not the place to ask about editing styles. You should either be asking in Custom Coding, or the support area for your specific style.
So I’ve moved it.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

User avatar
canonknipser
Registered User
Posts: 1652
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:16 am
Location: Germany
Name: Frank Jakobs
Contact:

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by canonknipser » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:26 am

Be aware that modifying the editor.html prevents your user to see those smilies only when creating posts.
They can still add the smilies using the smilies code like :oops: directly.
They also see the smilies when another user puts them into his post.

I understand the idea of your users to ban those animated smilies (or animated images at all). In rare cases, e.g. people suffering on epilepsy can be irritated by animations on screens.

So even her on phpbb.com, animated avatars are forbidden by rules. Similar rules apply to other sites.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

User avatar
david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Posts: 14944
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:08 am
Location: Lancashire, UK
Name: David Wood
Contact:

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by david63 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:50 am

canonknipser wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:26 am
So even her on phpbb.com, animated avatars are forbidden by rules
Even though they are not enforced ;)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 20237
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Removing Smiley Panel from Posting Page for a Specific Style

Post by Mick » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:17 am

david63 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:50 am
Even though they are not enforced
It is enforced https://www.phpbb.com/rules/#avatar
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Post Reply

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests